• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sacred Ibis - Ebro Delta (1 Viewer)

John Fordham

Hi all,
Quick question.
Saw Sacred Ibis in Ebro Delta today - no ringing that I can see on ptures I took. Is there a chance it may have flown up from Africa.

Cheers
John

I think that there is a population of Sacred Ibis at the Camargue.... not sure if they are natural, introductions or escapes....

Not so far away from Ebro I guess.....

There is a growing population in France originating from birds that escaped the Zoo of Branfere (They were kept free-flying, so escape wasn´t difficult).

The population in France is mainly at the atlantic cost and, if I remember correctly, there are about 2000 pairs in france now (or even more?).

There are also some birds at the french mediterranean coast and small colonies and breeding have also occurred in spain.

Predation on Tern eggs has been reported and there is a big debatte on culling going on. Difficult to say how big the problem is, but some people seem to be totally against any action against the "Ibis sacre"; while others would love to shoot the breeding colonies. A somewhat heated discussion, I think.

See the attached PDF

Attachments

• SacredIbises.pdf
    929.9 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
OK, thanks everyone. I´ll assume introduced. A quick Google showed that others have seen this Ibis at Ebro as well.

Cheers
John

P.S. I think it´s a long way from Camargue to Ebro (as the crow or ibis flies)!!!

I don't know if they are still there but I saw two sacred ibises at the S'Albufera reserve in Mallorca in 2000 and 2002. These two were regulars there.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back