• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Perthshire, Scotland - a warbler? (1 Viewer)

Shirl

Hi there,

Sorry I have no photo to help this one. If I see them again tomorrow I will try and get photos or video.

This evening I saw two (perhaps juvenile) birds exploring the branches of my small pine tree. They caught my eye as they were quite small and at a glance almost looked like wrens but they weren't. The two birds followed each other much in the same way as the juvenile blue tits do.

They were fairly light in colour but had a distinctive yellow band across the eye. From memory, I then searched through my book and considered that they might have been some sort of warbler.

My question is (until I get photos) are warblers likely to visit my garden in Perthshire. We do have a wide range of visiting birds including siskins but I am certain it wasn't one of them. If so what kind of warbler is it most likely to be?

Thanks, Shirl :t:

Of course warblers can visit your garden. Many species are already migrating. Willow Warblers are very common August migrants through Spain, surely the same in the UK. Wood Warblers could also maybe pass through your garden (don't know its status in Scotland) but they are much scarcer. Both species are quite small and show yellow eyebrows. They also like moving in small groups exploring trees and bushes. I bet they were willows.
Cheers,
Eduardo

Hi there,
We do have a wide range of visiting birds including siskins but I am certain it wasn't one of them. If so what kind of warbler is it most likely to be?
Thanks, Shirl :t:

Shirl

I have had a Willow Warbler in my garden since Sunday first time that I have noticed one in garden in 8 years. Take a look in my gallery as I posted 3 shots of it on Sunday hunting insects and see if it matches yours.

Thanks Motmot :t:

I did wonder if it could be willow warbler but I'd need to get some images first. Pity it could just be passing through. I hope we see them tomorrow :-D

Shirl|:D|

Thanks Tom :t:

I've just looked at your photo and it just might be the same bird. Interesting to read that it is new to your garden too. I hope it stays around for a few days so I can catch it on video |:D|

Shirl

I hope it stays around for a few days so I can catch it on video

Good luck with that mine has stayed put we have seen it now hunting both in the shrubs in the front garden as wellas our and the neighbours back garden every day since Sunday. Flits about a bit and seems to like inside the thicker hedges.

Thanks Capercaillie :t:

Yes, I am thinking that too. I saw it again today and did catch it on video but as I didn't leave my camera on a close-up setting the screen grab is useless. At least now I know it returned so I've an idea where I could get photos another day (assuming it might stay for a few days). Then maybe I can get an accurate ID :-D

I enjoy these unexpected visitors to the garden |:D|
Shirl

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back