• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 100-400 and Kenko 1,4 - nice !!! (1 Viewer)

TobiasK

It just goes to show that "everbody" can't always be trusted, Tobias!

Your pictures are excellent, and the image quality is wonderful.

I use the same lens/TC combination - hand-held - and I love it.

Attachments

• stonechat3f.jpg
    stonechat3f.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 560
I am never sure how helpful web-sized post-processed pics are in evaluating image quality, but here's a shot taken with an ancient Canon D60 with 300 f/4 + 1.4x + 2x (stacked converters) tracking a moving Egret via manual focus.

personally, I can't see a difference between the web-size image quality of my attached shot and the 100-400 + TC shots. Does this mean the 300 f/4 is better (since I used stacked converters) :king:

Attachments

• aad.jpg
    aad.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 532
The shots are excellent Tobias :t:

I am thinking of getting one of these converters for my 100-400 as I dont want tape on my canon converter because I use it with my 500 f4 and it doesn't need taping with that lens.

Do you still have to tape the Kenko when using it with the 100-400 ?

Paul B :)

Hi,
yes, still have to
but you can also tape the contacts on the lens (100-400) if you will use it with the kenko all the time
so the kenko is "free" (untapped) for the 500/4

bye
Tobias

Hi,
here some more pics
350D, 100-400 + 1,4 Kenko
no tripod

storch1kleinfilteredjo9.jpg

storch2kleinfilfertigpa9.jpg

and how it was done:
as the storks were standing on a flat are, i had to creep to them ;-)
my clothes were all wet, but it was worth it
the final distance was about 10 meters (30 feet ?)

storchafqr9.jpg

Bye
Tobias

Last edited:
have to say they are as good as you could wish for with any lens the close distance played a part but im quite stunned at the IQ of these with the combo used .
Rob.

Well done Tobias, nice photos, and a good bit of stalking.
I'm hoping to buy the Canon 1.4 TC with the same set up as you, next week, (pay day).

Alan.

Well, you should never judge the quality of the picture from the web-sized post-processed pics! The only relevant comparison is the original size, or for the web, 100% crop from one part of the pics.

Nope, I don't really agree, Mil.

If the intended use for pictures is primarily the internet - and I know lots of photographers who rarely if ever print, and for whom the internet is their primary outlet - then I think it is entirely reasonable to consider the pictures at "internet sizes".

Last edited:
lovely photos Tobias. I too have the same kit, 30D, 100-400mm IS and kenko 1.4tc. However all the best gear in the world means nothing without a bit of technique, take a bow Keith Reeder. I've followed Keith's advice about holding the camera and focusing on the eye and what a difference. A couple of pics attached. nothing special but a vast improvement for me! both handheld,

Attachments

• gs07072901 copy.jpg
    gs07072901 copy.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 525
  • IMG_4247-01 copy.jpg
    IMG_4247-01 copy.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 375
Keith, for the internet I agree of course.
Tobias, thanks! It look great, I dont think that you lose quality.

Best,
Mil

Finally some sunshine in Edmonton!
So I have tried my new Kenko 1.4 pro 300 DG with my trusted 100-400 and Rebel XT. Unfortunately, I'm to busy today to go birding, but the wall of the next-door house at least gave me the possibility to do a comparative test. I tested the naked lens and the lens with TC and taped pins @ 400 and all appatures between f5.6 and f8.0 on a tripod with IS off. I took five pics at each appature and chose the best for comparisons. I did not use timer or mirror lock-up as I don't use these in real-life shooting.

The results surprised me quite a bit:
1: There is apparently no detectable difference in centre sharpness between f5.6 and f8 on the naked lens! I was my subjective oppinion that it was a bit sharper @ f8 (and it is IMO pretty darn sharp at that appature). The extreme corners are marginally sharper @ f8 though.
2: From f6.3 and onwards there is very little (if any) loss in IQ when the TC is added. At least in the centre. The borders need f8 to be really good.
3: With the TC in IS works most of the time! It does behave erratic occasionally though, and often enough for me not to use it when I don't have to (i.e. have my mono- or tripod handy).

I'll post some pics when I have something more interesting than a brick wall to show.

Thomas

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back