• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HMW Handbook of the Mammals of the World (1 Viewer)

I think hypothetical reptile book would have much more volumes, with ca 6,000 lizards and 3,600 snakes.

Much as I like 'HBW Alive'; an internet resource cannot be an identification solution - it requires internet connection, which is unreliable in the field, even in developed countries.

Last edited:
I am curious on the number of pages. I think this will be the heaviest volume with the most pages of the HMW series.

For comparision: The rodents volume of Mammals of Africa (III) has more than 730 pages, The rodents volume of Mammals of South America (also with Jim Patton and Ulyses Pardinas as editors) has more than 1300 pages. So I guess that HMW 7 will also have more than 1000 pages.

After a quick look it seems like a very good book.
Plates are of great quality though some of them a a bit crammed.
There is no chapter about extinct rodents though the extinct specie might be treated among their families.
If you want to know if a specific taxa is included ask and I will take a look.

Great, you are the first. How do they review the recent extinct rodents?

You'll have it soon, be patient!

I expect to be one of the last again, will probably order direct from Lynx next time as trade suppliers get theirs last it seems.

A

Last edited:

I expect to be one of the last again, will probably order direct from Lynx next time as trade suppliers get theirs last it seems.

A

I only want to know whether they have a full account (like in the marsupial volume) or whether they only briefly mentioned in the family chapters like in the other mammal volumes. For example, the Bramble Cay Melomys was declared extinct by the IUCN in 2016, but it would be somewhat strange if it would not have a full account only because it is extinct. By the way 30 species of muroid rodents are listed as extinct in the IUCN Red List, some of them like the Vespucii's rat are in a monotypic genus.

I've received my copy today.

Extinct Rodents are excluded from the main part (typical for the HMW series except for the Marsupial volume). For example there is only one sentence on the Bramble Cay Melomys in the Muridae chapter.

Last edited:

A

Got mine on the last possible day of the year. Had it ordered directly from Lynx. Instead of the styrofoam padding, this book came with an ingenious protective device made of cardboard. The book is surprisingly variegated considering that the vast majority of the species is of the rather uniform "mouse" type. Lots of interesting species! Special praise goes, once again, to illustrator Toni Llobet. Simply amazing how he managed to handle the given relative uniformity. There are no apparent templates or whatever. He seems to have given all his loving detailing efforts to every one of the many thousands of individuals.

Last edited:
I am very satisfied with this book. It is also surprising to see that they have included all new 2017 descriptions until September 2017 (e.g. Uromys vika).

Got mine on the last possible day of the year. Had it ordered directly from Lynx. Instead of the styrofoam padding, this book came with an ingenious protective device made of cardboard. The book is surprisingly variegated considering that the vast majority of the species is of the rather uniform "mouse" type. Lots of interesting species! Special praise goes, once again, to illustrator Toni Llobet. Simply amazing how he managed to handle the given relative uniformity. There are no apparent templates or whatever. He seems to have given all his loving detailing efforts to every one of the many thousands of individuals.

I hope that this doesn't lead to an elevated expectation that certain species are separable in the field?

Still waiting and expect to be so for a couple of weeks at least :-C

A

I still wonder how they will treat Scandentia and Dermoptera (that will be classified into the new group Sundatheria in 2018 (see the upcoming edition of Walker's Mammals of the World). I think the HMW will be incomplete if they really exclude this group.

I still wonder how they will treat Scandentia and Dermoptera (that will be classified into the new group Sundatheria in 2018 (see the upcoming edition of Walker's Mammals of the World). I think the HMW will be incomplete if they really exclude this group.

Of course, they would be incomplete. I very much hope they find a way to include the few groups that they so far have not allocated to a particular volume. Adding another additional volume would not be optimal.

What are you people thinking? All mammals not already covered, other than Bats, will obviously be covered in volume 8. Whether or not you like the title is entirely up to you.

Last edited:
The main problem for HMW 8 will be Xenarthra as sloths are not insectivorous. I think a special volume (with all groups not covered in HMW 1 to 9, new species, and a global index) will be necessary.

The main problem for HMW 8 will be Xenarthra as sloths are not insectivorous. I think a special volume (with all groups not covered in HMW 1 to 9, new species, and a global index) will be necessary.

What groups do you think will not be covered? And what would you name this extra volume given that you are creating it because you do not like "Insectivores" for volume 8?

Why should they put colugos or sloths in a volume about insectivores? That makes no sense as these are pure plant eaters.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back