• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting Coot (1 Viewer)

Lol

Poor photo - taken this morning locally in South Wales.
The bird was very grey - but the bill was white throughout.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Coot1.jpg
    Coot1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 296
Interesting,Lol,as yes,all our coots are all black,leastways all the ones i've seen around here are.
Christine.

It looks to have the typical Eurasian Coot frontal shield I think though its difficult to tell for certain from the image.

steve_nova said:
The American Coot looks to be very grey in the body. Do you think it could be this?

I have to confess that that was what briefly crossed my mind this morning - the narrow shield also looks good - but the bill is completely wrong - so I wrote it off as an aberant eurasian - but took a few snaps out of interest. The more I look at the snaps, the more interesting it gets :)

Attachments

• coot2.jpg
    coot2.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 238
Hmm. I'd like to see a shot with the head in profile. It appears that the feathering at the base of the bill may project onto the bill in a point, which would rule out American Coot. Not sure that the white shield isn't a touch too extensive for AM too. Must go and see what photos I can find.

Jason

Bluetail said:
Hmm. I'd like to see a shot with the head in profile.
Jason

This is the only profile shot - suffers badly from shake 9poor light) - not sure if it helps ?

Attachments

• coot3.jpg
    coot3.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 235
I'm guilty of not looking too closely at Coots (I think the jury might acquit me there), but I think this is probably a first-winter bird. First winters are paler than adults (and have a slight brownish cast to the plumage which I think I detect here) and a much smaller frontal shield than adults.

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back