• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 UK orchids (1 Viewer)

Dark Red Helleborine?

These plants established themselves in our Gloucestershire garden about 8 years ago, the numbers are slowly increasing.
We are 750ft above sea level on limestone subsoil.
Overall the plants grow to about 15in high.
My wife thinks they could be Dark Red Helleborines and I promised to post a picture here to see if anyone could help with ID.

Attachments

• Helleborine sp.  Eastcombe.jpg
    Helleborine sp. Eastcombe.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 239
These plants established themselves in our Gloucestershire garden about 8 years ago, the numbers are slowly increasing.
We are 750ft above sea level on limestone subsoil.
Overall the plants grow to about 15in high.
My wife thinks they could be Dark Red Helleborines and I promised to post a picture here to see if anyone could help with ID.

Ideally we need a close up of the flower and a photo of the basal leaves but from what I can see if doesn't look like a Dark Red but a Broad-leaved helleborine (they come in a whole range of colours).

Dark Red doesn't grow south of Derbyshire whereas Broad-leaved is relatively common in the Cotswolds. Presumably you've got some woodland nearby?

Great plant to have in your garden!!

Rich M

Thanks for the prompt reply Rich!
Will try and get better photos tomorrow after the rain has passed.
No proper woodland closer than 250yd.

Tony

E phyllanthes

At last the opportunity to get a half decent photograph of the flower!

This unfortunate plant had been nibbled such that only two flowers remained, enabling photographs to be taken without the distraction of extraneous leaves and surplus florets cluttering up the place, one in the shade and one with the sun on its face.

Am I right in assuming this to be var pendula?

Jeff Hodgson

Attachments

• E phyllanthes Alyn Floret 01.jpg
    E phyllanthes Alyn Floret 01.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 157
  • E phyllanthes Alyn Floret 02.jpg
    E phyllanthes Alyn Floret 02.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 189
"red" Helleborine

This rather red Helleborine was found at the weekend. Is it in the normal range for Broad-Leaved?

Attachments

• BLHB.jpg
    BLHB.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 206
Ideally we need a close up of the flower and a photo of the basal leaves but from what I can see if doesn't look like a Dark Red but a Broad-leaved helleborine (they come in a whole range of colours).

Dark Red doesn't grow south of Derbyshire whereas Broad-leaved is relatively common in the Cotswolds. Presumably you've got some woodland nearby?

Great plant to have in your garden!!

Rich M

I have two pictures now Rich, one of the two lowest leaves and the other a closer one of of the flowers; not very good unfortunately but hopefully sufficient to confirm ID?

Thanks, Tony

Attachments

• Helleborine sp.  Eastcombe (2).JPG
    Helleborine sp. Eastcombe (2).JPG
    297.7 KB · Views: 169
  • Helleborine sp.  Eastcombe (3).JPG
    Helleborine sp. Eastcombe (3).JPG
    253.4 KB · Views: 210
I have two pictures now Rich, one of the two lowest leaves and the other a closer one of of the flowers; not very good unfortunately but hopefully sufficient to confirm ID?

Thanks, Tony

Yes, Broad-leaved helleborine.

Dark Red has narrower, more folded leaves clusted together at the base and frilly bosses on the lip. Flower colour is unusual for Broad-leaved though so I can see why you might plump for Dark Red.

Rich

Yes, Broad-leaved helleborine.

Dark Red has narrower, more folded leaves clusted together at the base and frilly bosses on the lip. Flower colour is unusual for Broad-leaved though so I can see why you might plump for Dark Red.

Rich

Thanks again Rich, much appreciated.

Tony

Back cross helleborine

This plant is thought to be possibly a back cross of E. x schulzei with E. purpurata. When it is growing it looks very much like a Violet, although it flowers slightly earlier than the other Violets at the site, but the flowers are atypical for a Violet.

Rich M

Attachments

• DSC07988_edited.jpg
    DSC07988_edited.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 153
  • #4 22072017 040_edited.jpg
    #4 22072017 040_edited.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 188
  • #4 22072017 047_edited.jpg
    #4 22072017 047_edited.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 174
  • #4 27072017 020_edited.jpg
    #4 27072017 020_edited.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
I'm thinking of visiting Warburg Reserve in the next few days. Are the narrow-lipped orchids - and the other 'specials' especially yellow birdsnest - easy to find?

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve

I have no recent info from Warburg - so others please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - but based on timings of other things this summer I suspect you may be on the late side for Narrow-lipped (and suspect also they may not have had a very good year).

When I went last year I found the staff at Warburg's visitor centre very helpful and willing to give good directions to any orchids etc that are currently on show. You could also try ringing the centre in advance in case they can tell you if it's worth a visit for the specialities you're looking for.

Good luck!

Cheers
Andy

I was disappointed by Warburg last week. One NLH had flowered and gone over, and a few BLH around. The centre was open, but no-one on hand. There was a reserve map with orchid locations on the desk though.

I'm thinking of visiting Warburg Reserve in the next few days. Are the narrow-lipped orchids - and the other 'specials' especially yellow birdsnest - easy to find?

Regards

Steve

They've had a very bad year for Helleborines at Warburg. Only two NL when I went on 16/07. I can give you the grid reference if you PM me but I'd be very surprised if they're worth looking at now. Probably best to email the trust instead. They were very helpful when I spoke to them and should be able to give you the latest. - Toby

They've had a very bad year for Helleborines at Warburg. Only two NL when I went on 16/07. I can give you the grid reference if you PM me but I'd be very surprised if they're worth looking at now. Probably best to email the trust instead. They were very helpful when I spoke to them and should be able to give you the latest. - Toby

Thanks for the offer Toby, but back home in N. Wales now. Another year perhaps.

Steve

I'm going to be in Dorset on Wednesday/Thursday. I don't know if it's a bit late, but will Bog Orchid still be in flower?

If anyone can recommend a site (preferably with incredibly specific directions to the exact spot) I'd be delighted.

Thanks Toby. It'll be waiting for another year anyway as I had to cancel the trip.

Strange BLH

Has anybody seen this before? Its a BLH in bud but the buds are large, swaolen and globular. I tried to examine one, but could not make much out apart from the lip. Will they eventually open, and will the flowers be normal?

Attachments

• blobs.jpg
    blobs.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 218
New site for BLH

I was rather pleased on a return to a new BLH site to find them much more numerous and extensive than on our first visit. The clump shown below contained many more spikes than we saw at Warburg last week in total. Many of the spikes were above waist height.

Attachments

• nyf1.jpg
    nyf1.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 145
  • nyf2.jpg
    nyf2.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 138
  • nyf3.jpg
    nyf3.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 125
  • nyf4.jpg
    nyf4.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 109
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back