• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (11 Viewers)

couldn.t get too enthused over 2 Meadow Pipits & a Jackdaw down the local beach first thing so took a ride down to yarmouth sea front and back, which is just about the limit these days of my self-propelled travel. I have wondered bfore on the potential of the beach and the abandoned land either side of the touristy sea front - after all anything that lands in the cemetary and becomes a major twitch surely has to fly over here first (well it sounds logical to me, anyway)

Anyway nothing particularly noteable i guess, but a couple of Redwing turned up around the boating lake, a few birders / people with bin's down near the new harbour development looked quite intent on something but i was in need of the nearby tea stall & a sit down so never stopped. A couple of Med Gulls sitting on the sea near the old harbour entrance (i think? ...weren't easy to tell with the sunlight) amongst a good few Black-headed gulls. reasonable sized flock of Starling around the harbour development site with some Linnets & Greenfinch dotted about too. All in all quite a reasonable couple of hours.

bacon rolls - 50p - off the stall opposite the Quayside Tavern

Fantastic day for pink foot passage at Titchwell and I expect all along the coast with birds coming over the wash all day. 2,005 birds east over and past the reserve during 7.5hrs watching during the day. The snow goose that had been tracked down the east coast passed offshore with 51 pinks at 15:20.
On the lagoons, pec sand present until 07:00 only, 4 little stints, 5 curlew sands, 10 spotshanks and 1400 knot roosting over high tide. 5 common buzzards west and a hobby.
Late news of 2 purple sands on the beach on wednesday.

Paul

Saw the Snow Goose from the A149 at Holkham at about 4:15pm. Will post sightings from Holme and Salthouse later this evening or tommorow as have to go out.

Cheers,

The river was very high at Strumpshaw today and had flooded the path in several places beyond the Tower hide making progress a bit difficult. Five Snipe provided a bit of extra interest from that hide but on the way to the Fen hide we saw two Kingfishers flying together along one of the dykes.

From the Fen hide we had more sightings of a Kingfisher which kept disappearing and reappearing. There was a nice little Green Sandpiper in front of the hide and three Marsh Harriers in the sky at the same time were very entertaining.

The fine weather made it a very enjoyable afternoon.

Ron

As promised sightings for yesterday.

Holme NOA 8:55am-9:25am 26 Razorbill, 3 Arctic Skuas west, 31 Mallard east, 2 Great-crested Grebes east, 9 Sandwich Terns, 1 Great Skua west, 250+ Gannets, 2 Guillemots, 200+ Pink-footed Geese, 40 Comorants, 5 Red-throated Divers, 1 prob Puffin east, 8 Shoveler east, 62 Common Scoter, 5 auk sp., 16 Wigeon, 1 Diver sp. west, 1 Teal west and 3 Common Terns, 1 Fulmar west.

Holme NOA 10:30am-11:00pm 1 Pomarine Skua (pale phase adult) west, 1 Great Skua west, 8 Razorbill, 1 Arctic Tern west, 2 Red Throated Divers

Salthouse 3:00pm-3:30pm 10 Little Gulls east, 1 (pale phase) Arctic Skua east, 12 Razorbills, 1 Arctic Tern west, 1 Red Throated Diver east, 5 auk sp.

Also seen yesterday:

2 Common Buzzards, 3 Hobbys, 1 Chiffchaff, 1 Blackcap at Holme NOA

Snow Goose at Holkham at 4:15pm from A149

Had some great fun tracking this down this afternoon at Holkham ..no sign of the Spoonbill though (which was what I really wanted!)

Also three hobby were seen, oh and the Pinkfeet!!

Matt

...abysmal record shot of the Snowgoose

Attachments

• holkham pines 019 (Custom).jpg
    holkham pines 019 (Custom).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 115
Just a quick recommendation for the Barred Warbler at Winterton - saw the bird this morning, and you'd never see one better! Morning is the time to visit, when the sun is on the bank of the valley. Favoured area is roughly between the St Georges cross flag and the path up the slope just south of here. It showed very well at times feeding in a patch of hawthorn and bramble just beside this path.

Apart from this, the two Pec Sands at Hickling Rush Hills and a single Sooty Shear off Waxham yesterday evening were good.

As promised sightings for yesterday.

Holme NOA 8:55am-9:25am 26 Razorbill, 3 Arctic Skuas west, 31 Mallard east, 2 Great-crested Grebes east, 9 Sandwich Terns, 1 Great Skua west, 250+ Gannets, 2 Guillemots, 200+ Pink-footed Geese, 40 Comorants, 5 Red-throated Divers, 1 prob Puffin east, 8 Shoveler east, 62 Common Scoter, 5 auk sp., 16 Wigeon, 1 Diver sp. west, 1 Teal west and 3 Common Terns, 1 Fulmar west.

Holme NOA 10:30am-11:00pm 1 Pomarine Skua (pale phase adult) west, 1 Great Skua west, 8 Razorbill, 1 Arctic Tern west, 2 Red Throated Divers

Salthouse 3:00pm-3:30pm 10 Little Gulls east, 1 (pale phase) Arctic Skua east, 12 Razorbills, 1 Arctic Tern west, 1 Red Throated Diver east, 5 auk sp.

Also seen yesterday:

2 Common Buzzards, 3 Hobbys, 1 Chiffchaff, 1 Blackcap at Holme NOA

Thats a lot more than I saw on Saturday Connor!!!!!

Didn't get to Cley until 1.30pm, saw 3 razor bills, few terns flying along, snooze on Cley beach and an Adder basking on steps at Walsey Hills, which I got a fab picture of with my new (1st digi) Nikon P5000 camera!!!! Have not learn't how to get it on computer yet, let along post it here, but will when I have time!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

A late afternoon walk on Roydon Common produced 2 Woodlark, 4 Stonechats, 2 Marsh Harrirers and a Common Buzzard. The Marsh Harrier was not pleased to see the Buzzard as it mobbed it in the glorious evening sunlight!
Sue

Barred Warbler Winterton fri evening was simply stunning

Sea Palling
Sat:
Pom Skua
Puffin
2 Bonxie
100 Pinkfeet
Lots of Little Gulls
Reed Warbler
Cettis Warbler

Sun
300 Pinks
loads of Cranes
2 Arctic Skua
10 Little Gulls
Many auks incl several Razorbills
numbers of starlings and gulls building up
Sooty Shearwater
Gannets moving in good numbers
Lesser Whitethroat

This morning:
Pinks over the house
4-5 Yellow Wags
Avocet

Last edited:
I'm interested to hear about the Snow Goose. I know it's the wrong county but we were in Minsmere's North hide last night as it was beginning to get dark and noted the single white goose in amongst scores of what we took to be Greylag Geese. I didn't take too much notice as I assumed it was an escapee or domestic (it probably was) but I wish I'd paid a bit more attention now.

I must try to get the hang of this bird watching game some time.

Ron

Last edited:
Another Hobby sighting in Happisburgh this afternoon as one chased (unsuccessfully) a House Martin over the garden; it then headed south. As I type the wind is getting up and veering toward the north. Can't wait to leave work in the morning, it's starting to feel quite birdy ;) ...

James

last night:

5 Manx passing close in
5 Arctic
Bonxie
c. 30 auks both Razors and guillies
c. 30 Little Gulls
1 Artcic Tern
lots of Sandwich, Common, Gannets etc

This morning only managed a short watch but Sooties and Manx etc

good numbers of Sooties and 2 Purple Sands reported half a mile up from Sea PAling at Eccles early today - might be worth checking the reefs if anyone wants to see Purps for a yearlist of something daft like that.

Interesting to see a Stormy and a Leach's past Cley at the same time this morning... ha ha ha...

Seawatching this morning from Cley north beach carpark (you can park on top of the bank now and seawatch from the car):

1 Sabine's gull
1 Leach's petrel
2 Balearic shearwater's
10 Manxie's
200+ sooty shearwaters
100+ little gulls
50 bonxies
12 arctic skuas
2 red-throated divers

Last edited:
Just got a phone call from a mate, just found a Red Breasted Flycatcher at Sea Palling, 200 yds north of beach road..

Also 2 Sooty Shearwater and four Great Skua out on the sea

If it wasn't for a bluddy driving lesson this morning I would have been up there with him ....**** it!

Matt

Last edited:
Just got a phone call from a mate, just found a Red Breasted Flycatcher at Sea Palling, 200 yds north of beach road..

Also 2 Sooty Shearwater and four Great Skua out on the sea

If it wasn't for a bluddy driving lesson this morning I would have been up there with him ....**** it!

Matt

on RBA as 'reported' and not seen since...

Tim

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back