• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (22 Viewers)

As others have said before, it will be sad to visit Upton without having a quick chat with Arthur,I first met in the late 70s on the W.M.B.C. field trips and he was a great help in identifying many new birds to me at that time. God Bless.
Glenn

Last edited:
It'll be (in fact has been) odd not seeing him around on Saturday and Sunday mornings. RIP.

How about naming the new Moors hide the Jacobs Hide, Arthur Jacobs Hide or AFJ Hide?

Mike

That's a top idea Mike, what a great way for his name to carry on. Get's my vote :t:

A much less cheerful sight was the state of the Avocet Hide - the roof needs some attention as it appears to be coming off along the left hand side. Both ends of the hide leak like a seive as do the windows :eek!:

Attachments

• Avocet Hide roof.jpg
    Avocet Hide roof.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Water ingress Avocet Hide.jpg
    Water ingress Avocet Hide.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 108
A much less cheerful sight was the state of the Avocet Hide - the roof needs some attention as it appears to be coming off along the left hand side. Both ends of the hide leak like a seive as do the windows :eek!:

Its not like you didn't warn them Dave.:-C
We will have to ensure that if the new Moors hide has Arthur's name attached, then it has to be a solid structure befitting of his name.:t:

Its not like you didn't warn them Dave.:-C
We will have to ensure that if the new Moors hide has Arthur's name attached, then it has to be a solid structure befitting of his name.:t:

We had Helen Woodman (think that's her name) give us a lecture (I think that's what it was called :-O ) a few weeks ago at uni. Afterwards I grilled on her the disgrace of a hide that now stands on the flashes and she assured me the new moors hide is being built by a reputable company, the name of which escapes me.

I think she said they are from Norfolk?

I have just received a phone call from Terry H, who informed me of the sad news that Arthur had passed away today. Having known Arthur for well over 30 years, he will always be known as Mr Upton Warren to me and many others from the 'old days'.
RIP Arthur.

That is sad news indeed. Arthur always had the time of day for all levels of birder at the reserve and was one of the nicest people you could wish to meet. I remember speaking to Arthur when I met him on my first ever visit to Upton in the mid 90's...he had such a passion and knowledge of the Upton Warren from all the time he had spent there (some of it before it was a reserve). I for one will sadly miss him

Med Gull at the Flashes

The water level has risen in the last few days and the sluice has been opened a bit more today by Dave and Graham. I will check the level tomorrow , while I am repairing the screening panels that have blown down.

SE tomorrow, watch this space.
B :)John

We had Helen Woodman (think that's her name) give us a lecture (I think that's what it was called :-O ) a few weeks ago at uni. Afterwards I grilled on her the disgrace of a hide that now stands on the flashes and she assured me the new moors hide is being built by a reputable company, the name of which escapes me.

I think she said they are from Norfolk?

Hi Gav - the new hide on the west side of the Moors Pool is to be built by a Norfolk based company, Custom Made Wooden Buildings. They have constructed bird hides for a number of Wildlife Trusts, Bird Clubs and other groups. A sample of their products are show here:

http://www.customwoodenbuildings.co.uk/bird_hides.html

I went down to see a hide they recently constructed at the John Bennett Reserve, south of Pershore and found it to be of a high standard and very suitable for Upton; indeed I could see little difference to a Gilleard hide (I have no higher praise than that). Thankfully the hide is clad in tongue and grove style boards rather than the current rustic planks of the Flashes hide that you could drive a coach and horses between.

The new hide will be a two storey structure with disabled access on the ground floor. It will sit broadly on the site of the current West / Bittern Hide but will be parallel to the path (as opposed to the current angling to the right), giving a more satisfactory view of the entire Moors Pool. I have asked the Trust to amend their original drawings to remove the large first floor window and the minimal picture to the roof given the lessons the Trust will have hopefully learnt from the Flashes. The intention is to install in late summer once the breeding has ceased at the Moors Pool; we have been quoted a week for its erection (it arrives pre-fabricated).

Myself and John did briefly discuss the naming of his this hide in Arthur's memory last night when the news broke and given the unprovoked suggestions to this effect also coming from several sources on the Forum today we will approach the Trust with this proposal.

HOWEVER, at our site meeting with the Trust on Wednesday we did pointedly remind the Trust of all the problems with the Flashes hide and how these shouldnt be bypassed with the desire to sort out the new hide at the Moors Pool. All our fears from 2011 of going with a bespoke design delivered by contractors not familar with constructing a bird hide have come home to roost. Within two months of completion we have a severe roof leak, several other points of water ingress at the join between the roof and the elevations and now a portion of the roof lifting off, together with the two largest windows not being able to be opened from a Health & Safety perspective. The FOUR MONTH build took completion right up to the start of the breeding season meaning there was no time for snagging in respect to emerging problems. There is now the issue of what sort of effective repair can be carried out in a manner that doesnt scarce off the breeding birds. Likewise the opportunity to renew in one go the screening panels to the hide approach was ignored despite prompting, leading to further ongoing works now being required overcome damage caused by today's inclement weather.

Last edited:
Hi Gav - the new hide on the west side of the Moors Pool is to be built by a Norfolk based company, Custom Made Wooden Buildings. They have constructed bird hides for a number of Wildlife Trusts, Bird Clubs and other groups. A sample of their products are show here:

I went down to see a hide they recently constructed at the John Bennett Reserve, south of Pershore and found it to be of a high standard and very suitable for Upton; indeed I could see little difference to a Gilleard hide (I have no higher praise than that). Thankfully the hide is clad in tongue and grove style boards rather than the current rustic planks of the Flashes hide that you could drive a coach and horses between.

The new hide will be a two storey structure with disabled access on the ground floor. It will sit broadly on the site of the current West / Bittern Hide but will be parallel to the path (as opposed to the current angling to the right), giving a more satisfactory view of the entire Moors Pool. I have asked the Trust to amend their original drawings to remove the large first floor window and the minimal picture to the roof given the lessons the Trust will have hopefully learnt from the Flashes. The intention is to install in late summer once the breeding has ceased at the Moors Pool; we have been quoted a week for its erection (it arrives pre-fabricated).

Myself and John did briefly discuss the naming of his this hide in Arthur's memory last night when the news broke and given the unprovoked suggestions to this effect also coming from several sources on the Forum today we will approach the Trust with this proposal.

HOWEVER, at our site meeting with the Trust on Wednesday we did pointedly remind the Trust of all the problems with the Flashes hide and how these shouldnt be bypassed with the desire to sort out the new hide at the Moors Pool. All our fears from 2011 of going with a bespoke design delivered by contractors not familar with constructing a bird hide have come home to roost. Within two months of completion we have a severe roof leak, several other points of water ingress at the join between the roof and the elevations and now a portion of the roof lifting off, together with the two largest windows not being able to be opened from a Health & Safety perspective. The FOUR MONTH build took completion right up to the start of the breeding season meaning there was no time for snagging in respect to emerging problems. There is now the issue of what sort of effective repair can be carried out in a manner that doesnt scarce off the breeding birds. Likewise the opportunity to renew in one go the screening panels to the hide approach was ignored despite prompting, leading to further ongoing works now being required overcome damage caused by today's inclement weather.

Thanks for posting that link Phil. They look to be quality structures & added to your appraisal visit gives hope that it will all be ok when the new hide is built.
I agree that should the hide be of a quality that would be a fitting tribute to Arthur's name then that would be a fitting tribute!

Rob

Just wanted to say how much I appreciate all the photos & video that have been posted recently of the SEO, Otter & others, be they record shots or not! Thanks togs.

Record shot: A photographic image of a subject, often taken at extreme range and or in poor lighting, that records the presence of that subject in a particular place & allows identification of that subject by others. The image may be lacking in artistic & photographic technique, which may be improved on at a subsequent viewing, but conveys enough information to be valid! (Rob's concise answer!):-O

Is that the same as 'a crap photo'? 8-P

Rob

Hi Phil, cheers for the link, they look ok to me, except image 7 which looked like the inside of the new flashes one :eek!:

I can't say I'm too surprised by the leaks in the new one, I' more surprised it's still standing :-O

Hi Phil, cheers for the link, they look ok to me, except image 7 which looked like the inside of the new flashes one :eek!:

Think you're being a bit harsh there Gav. The only place daylight is showing in image 7 is through the windows, as opposed to through the walls and roof :-O:-O

Tuesday Crew WYRE FOREST

The annual trip to the Wyre Forest tomorrow has been Cancelled. Paul M asked me to let everyone know. This is due to the forecast for tomorrow being pretty poor and wet.B :)John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back