• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI County Kerry in August (1 Viewer)

dbradnum

Hi everyone,

I'll be on holiday on the south side of the Kenmare river in County Kerry (Ireland) for the middle two weeks of August, but haven't been able to find much relevant birding info on the net or elsewhere - can anybody on BF help me out, please?

In particular, I'm interested in seawatching sites in the vicinity, having never seen either of the big shearwaters... where's the nearest good spot, and what are the optimum conditions (will just any peninsula in SW'lies do the job?)

Any general info about birding in Kerry would be much appreciated as well.

Many thanks,

David

OK, I'm going on Friday, so I'll give this one more bump up the list, and then give up!

It'd be the first time BF has failed to provide any response to a request :(

G'day David

My wife and I were there in June for a couple of days. Take a boat trip out to the Skellig Islands and you will see lots of seabirds. Lots of boats leave around 1000 each day (weather permitting) from Portmagee.

Cheers

Steve Clark
Hamilton, Victoria, Australia

Hi David,
While I do most of my seawatching from Galley Head (here in Co.Cork), I know that Brandon Head (on the Dingle peninsula) can be very good in NW winds, or also westerlies. I personally ticked both large shearwaters from there in August 1999, and conditions were't ideal that day. The site has also had Fea's Petrel (2 or more), Little Shearwater (a few) and a claim of Bulwer's Petrel, and Wilson's Storm-petrel is regular there in the right conditions.
Regards,
Harry

Harry Hussey said:
Hi David,
While I do most of my seawatching from Galley Head (here in Co.Cork), I know that Brandon Head (on the Dingle peninsula) can be very good in NW winds, or also westerlies. I personally ticked both large shearwaters from there in August 1999, and conditions were't ideal that day. The site has also had Fea's Petrel (2 or more), Little Shearwater (a few) and a claim of Bulwer's Petrel, and Wilson's Storm-petrel is regular there in the right conditions.
Regards,
Harry
Cheers, Harry...

Given there were over 4000 Cory's and 150 Great past Brandon yesterday, I'm quite looking forward to the next two weeks!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back