• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seeing birds of paradise and bower birds around cafes and restaurants near Cairns? (1 Viewer)

Allen S. Moore

Isle of Man
In the thread called "Good birds seen from restaurants" Chris D mentioned having Victoria's Riflebirds stealing food from the table at Ivy Cottage Tea Rooms which is near Townsville. Are there any similarly good places fairly near to Cairns? I hope to go there next August, albeit on a family holiday.

I have subsequently checked my geography, and realise that Townsville is just as accessible as Cairns, although it does not seem to feature much in holiday brochures. However, I would still be grateful for advice, as requested above. Are there any "general" sorts of tours from either town that would good views of bowerbirds and/or riflebirds at stops on the way. Obviously, a birding trip would be best, but I don't think that my son and daughter (16 & 20) would be interested, unless I can escape for a day!

Last edited:
Hi Allen

The five local bowerbird species and Victoria's Riflebirds can be seen at a number of locations around Cairns (although I missed the riflebird due to lack of time and bad luck on the day I spent in the rainforest), especially the Atherton Tablelands (which I don't know but is supposed to be superb) and further north at Mt Lewis (and Mt Molloy for the Great Bowerbird). You should be able to see them all, if you give yourself a bit of time. However, I wouldn't bank on seeing them all on a general non-birding daytrip. The Golden Bowerbird and Tooth-billed Bowerbird required a bit of local knowledge to find in the rainforest (it was probably the greatest experience I've ever had whilst birding, seeing these birds at their bowers).
I haven't been to Townsville but Cairns is a superb location for birding. The promenade must be one of the world's greatest urban birding sites although in August I imagine that a lot of the Siberian waders are yet to arrive. However, I didn't think much of the town itself to be honest and would highly recommend Port Douglas an hour up the coast, which is far more beautiful. I had limited time when I was there last year (like you on a family holiday) but I allowed myself one day with a guide, Del Richards, who was superb. Read my trip report for that one day here.
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=27274&highlight=tropics
I also wrote a trip report for Australia which may give you an idea of what can be seen
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=28912&highlight=Queensland

This site has a directory of guides and tours in Queensland.
http://www.ausbird.com/
If this is your first trip to Australia, order a field guide soon. You'll need to do a lot of homework, as virtually everything you see will be new.

E

I thought that I would add to the thread nearly 5 years later as, although the answer to my question is effectively "no," the thread has received a lot of "views". Edward included some useful information for those thinking of looking for bowerbirds and victoria's riflebirds near Cairns. As I mentioned in the "Good birds seen from restaurants" thread, a stay at Cassowary House and breakfast on the balcony there is an excellent opportunity to see the riflebird from down to about a metre away.

Edward, did you ever get back to Australia?

Allen

I thought that I would add to the thread nearly 5 years later as, although the answer to my question is effectively "no," the thread has received a lot of "views". Edward included some useful information for those thinking of looking for bowerbirds and victoria's riflebirds near Cairns. As I mentioned in the "Good birds seen from restaurants" thread, a stay at Cassowary House and breakfast on the balcony there is an excellent opportunity to see the riflebird from down to about a metre away.

Allen

A typical breakfast at Cassowary House.

Attachments

• Victorias_Riflebird_CHouse_070709b.jpg
    Victorias_Riflebird_CHouse_070709b.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 217
  • Victorias_Riflebird_CHouse_070709c.jpg
    Victorias_Riflebird_CHouse_070709c.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 222

Allen

This thread brings back the memories, Allen! haven't been back yet. I've had two kids in the mean time and haven't really fancied 24 hours in a plane with toddlers yet. But my brother lives there so I'll be back in a couple of years or so I imagine.

This thread brings back the memories, Allen! haven't been back yet. I've had two kids in the mean time and haven't really fancied 24 hours in a plane with toddlers yet. But my brother lives there so I'll be back in a couple of years or so I imagine.

Aye, enjoy your family. In what will seem like no time at all they will be in their 20s like mine. When I took my two to Australia, as we flew over somewhere like Belgium or Germany my son said, "Are we there yet?" - for old times sake, I suppose!

Allen

Bower birds from tea rooms

Ivy Cottage Tea Shop is not in Townsville itself but is in the village of Paluma which is about 1 hour's drive north of Townsville up the escarpment in dense rainforest. Last time I was there it was not trading. Bowerbirds and Riflebirds are easiest to see on the Atherton Tablelands about 1 hours drive from Cairns. Riflebirds are common all year round. Bowerbirds tend to attend their bowers from September to March. Other times they wander around. Tooth billed bowerbirds are easy at Lake Barrine. Great Bowerbirds are more dry country birds and can be found at Mount Molloy. Spotted Catbird are in most rainforest patches. You need to know the location of a bower to find Golden bowerbird . The one everyone knew about was destroyed in 2006 by Cyclone Larry. There is a bird guide who lives in Yungaburra who has access to a bower. Cassowary House near Kuranda is a good place to see birds while dining and you could also get a Southern Cassowary.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back