• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (8 Viewers)

Another rather low key day at the Ness. I wandered about the Nigg Bay area in the morning. Three Teal and an obliging Wigeon were on the marsh. Although things were sometimes busy in scrubby areas, the best I could show for it was four Chiffchaffs, seven Goldcrests, four Coal Tits, two Siskins and a Redpoll. Five Bullfinches were also about. Apparently the ringers have caught several in recent weeks, so there are obviously good numbers about.

Attachments

• Wigeon_Girdle Ness_141017a.jpg
    Wigeon_Girdle Ness_141017a.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 58
While I've been hard at work during the week, earning my crust, others have been seeing a few good birds. Some remnants of the influx of migrants was still around today, and there was some interest even if the party seems to be coming to a conclusion.

Thrushes were still quite numerous around Nigg Bay, particularly Blackbirds and Redwings. There were two Yellow-browed Warblers, one seen briefly near the waterworks and the other heard calling further west. A pukka looking Siberian Chiffchaff was seen along the Tullos Burn, resolutely refusing to call. A flock of seven Whooper Swans flew over, coming from the west. Other stuff around there included a Siskin, two Snipe, four Teal, two Chiffchaffs, a Water Rail and a Coal Tit. A marauding Sparrowhawk was seen carrying off a Redwing.

A look around the rest of the Ness was pretty underwhelming though, with little in the way of migrants.

Attachments

• Whooper Swans_Girdle Ness_211017a.jpg
    Whooper Swans_Girdle Ness_211017a.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Siberian Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_211017a.jpg
    Siberian Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_211017a.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 75
Still a lot of thrushes around today, with Blackbirds and Redwings into three figures. More interesting were three Ring Ouzels around Nigg Bay. Two were in the scrub along by the school fields, including one very dark looking immature. The other was an adult in flight nearer the waterworks. A Yellow-browed Warbler was heard calling nearby. A Jack Snipe was flushed from the marsh. Other bits and pieces included three Teal, four Bullfinches, two Redpolls, a Mistle Thrush and ten Goldcrests.

Barred warbler last night (and again this lunchtime) at the west end of the north bank, around the area where the traffic cones have been creatively deployed. Also a black redstart (or maybe 2) here, and a sibe chiff yesterday. Not much anywhere else around the headland though...

A late afternoon foray produced quite good views of the Barred Warbler in the 'traffic cone tree'. It's the second time I've seen one in that specific tree, in fact. Also a female Black Redstart in the patch of trees a short distance to the west of there.

Also of note, much of the scrub at the western end of the Abbey Road patch has been ripped out today. Quite dramatic! Not sure what the plan is for that bit of ground.

Some late news from Wednesday of some progress on the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser:

Nice work! There wasn't much else though, and there wasn't a lot today either. It really seemed like winter, despite the mild temperatures. The best was a good view of an adult Water Rail in the marsh. Otherwise, a couple of Bullfinches and a scatter of Goldcrests was about all that was around. Two Redwings (most likely Icelandic I guess) flew in off the sea. A Common Scoter went north.

It definitely felt like winter yesterday, with a rather biting northwesterly wind. I spent quite a while seawatching but, although there was some passage of auks and Gannets, there was little else. Single Long-tailed Ducks and Common Scoters were the best of it. A male Blackcap was in the scrub between Campbell's and Inverdee House.

It's also worth mentioning that all of the scrub and trees in the Abbey Road area have now been removed. It's pretty drastic stuff. Has anyone found out what's going to happen to it?

"It's also worth mentioning that all of the scrub and trees in the Abbey Road area have now been removed. It's pretty drastic stuff. Has anyone found out what's going to happen to it?"

Richard Nicholson is the Arboricultural Officer for the city. Send him an e-mail through [email protected]
He should know.

Regards

Malky

Thanks for the email address Malky. I'll see if I can find anything out.

A lovely late autumn day in Torry today, with a certain amount of interest bird-wise. A Snow Bunting - my first of the year - flew south over the wetlands. I also had quite good views of a Siberian Chiffchaff in scrub near the school fields, giving a regular tristis flat call. There was also a male Great Spotted Woodpecker, initially along the embankment and then sitting in a willow along the burn. Other stuff in the wetlands included seven Snipe, three Teal, two regular Chiffchaffs, eight Goldcrests, two Siskins and a Redpoll. A late Common Darter was still on the wing.

Around the rest of the Ness there were three Stonechats and a Totaliser raising 135 Purple Sandpipers.

Attachments

• GS Woodpecker_Girdle Ness_041117a.jpg
    GS Woodpecker_Girdle Ness_041117a.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Siberian Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_041117a.jpg
    Siberian Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_041117a.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 74
The strong northwesterly meant that the main interest was out to sea today and I managed a fairly decent seawatch around midday. Four Little Auks were seen heading north, though most put down on the sea rather than continuing onwards. A couple were reasonably close in. Probably better was a single Black Guillemot, also heading north. Also seen were a single Great Northern Diver, two Long-tailed Duck, 36 Wigeon and two Mallard.

Elsewhere, a Chiffchaff was in the bushes around Campbells and a pair of Stonechats was in Greyhope Bay, where a party of around 20 Siskins were seen flying over the sea.

Attachments

• Purple Sandpipers_Girdle Ness_051117a.jpg
    Purple Sandpipers_Girdle Ness_051117a.jpg
    328 KB · Views: 68
A nice stroll today, mostly around Nigg Bay. The weather was bright and sunny but with a cold and fairly brisk wind. A Siberian Chiffchaff was seen nicely in the trees east of the football pitch. It was accompanied by a more normal looking Chiffchaff and a few Goldcrests. Two Jack Snipe were around the marsh, where there were also two Teal and a Wigeon. Not too much else except for six Rooks and a group of Long-tailed Tits, which were along Victoria Road. A few were ringed, so I assume this was part of the group from around the ringing station at the waterworks.

Attachments

• Rook_Girdle Ness_181117a.jpg
    Rook_Girdle Ness_181117a.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 53
One or two things around today, although mostly birds that have been present for a few days. I finally managed to catch up with the juvenile Great Northern Diver that's been in the harbour. It was sometimes a bit elusive, generally on the northern side of the inner harbour near the lifeboat station.

I also had very good views of the roosting Short-eared Owl on the northeastern side of the golf course (next to the third tee). I guess it's used to people standing just a few metres away from it, and is surprisingly hard to see unless you look closely.

The most unusual sighting was of a Jack Snipe that flew along the shore in Greyhope Bay before coming down out of sight in a crevice amongst the rocks. The pair of Stonechats were also along the bank adjacent to the bay. There was also some positive news on the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser:

Praise be!

Attachments

• SE Owl_Girdle Ness_191117a.jpg
    SE Owl_Girdle Ness_191117a.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 99
It was a cold day here in Torry today. The Nigg Bay area was fairly quiet with not much passerine activity, aside from a couple of Redpolls. In the marsh were a Teal, two Moorhen and three Common Snipe. A Water Rail flew up briefly and I saw my first local Fox for quite a while.

Elsewhere the Short-eared Owl was still roosting in the same spot on the golf course. A Buzzard flying over Greyhope Bay looked as though it might have come in off the sea. A single Lapwing was doing something along the same lines too, although the local crows weren't quite so bothered by it. A male Stonechat was in Greyhope Bay.

Cold and bright in Torry today with an inch or two of snow still on the ground and much of the freshwater frozen. The cold weather didn't seem to have brought in huge numbers of birds, although there were several Song Thrushes and Goldcrests about. At least 17 Snipe were along the Tullos Burn, where a Water Rail was seen nicely. The biggest surprise was of a bird that had remained: the Siberian Chiffchaff showing very well as it probed low to the ground just west of the reedy pool. A Pheasant was along the railway embankment.

Around the Ness, three Stonechats were lingering, probably hoping milder weather is soon on its way. Twenty Sanderling were on the south end of Aberdeen beach. The large numbers of Pink-footed Geese flying over included two Greylag Geese. Not much was offshore but, while I was watching, a Short-eared Owl briefly appeared near the lighthouse.

Attachments

• Siberian Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_101217a.jpg
    Siberian Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_101217a.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Siberian Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_101217b.jpg
    Siberian Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_101217b.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Siberian Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_101217c.jpg
    Siberian Chiffchaff_Girdle Ness_101217c.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 52
Still cold here in Torry, but with fewer birds to show for it this weekend. Nigg Bay was quiet apart from a Snipe and a pair of Teal. Five Redwings flew over Victoria Road. Elsewhere a Lapwing was probing through the ice on the golf course. The best news was some resounding action on the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser:

What a whopper! Think that might be the highest count for quite a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back