• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binos for those wearing glasses ? (1 Viewer)

Spratz

My previous set of binos have ended up at the bottom of the sea. Don't ask!

Most of my binos have a hard life and so the replacement budget is no more than USD300.00

A friend has recommended the Minox 8x42 but I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited:
Can you let us know about some other parameters?

Are you looking for 7x, 8x, or 10x? More compact (e.g. 32mm) or full sized (42mm)? Since you've owned other pairs, what are your priorities, e.g. brightness, size of sweet spot, sharpness, overall field of view, fast focusing vs. slower, etc?

At the "budget" level of 300 USD there are many fine options but each will inherently make their own set of compromises. For example, the popular Nikon Monarch and Eagle Optics Ranger are quite rugged, light and compact for 42mm models, with good brightness and sharp center optics, but have fairly narrow fields of view compared to the competition and don't do well with controlling color fringing (chromatic aberration) compared to some of the recent "China ED" models.

Since you are in London, I would assume you have many options for shops where you can go in and try some models out. The best thing to do is find a pair that "fits" you, so you can decide what you like/dislike and figure out what compromises work best for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back