• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (10 Viewers)

Just out of interest, what's the situation with that Golden Pheasant? I heard an unconfirmed fifth-hand rumour that it might have some Lady A's genetics somewhere back in its' history? The photos i've seen, it seems to have a dark throat, and comparing images of GP and Lady A's, it does look like it could have a few stray genes?
This is not to cast nasturtiums, i haven't ticked it, don't want to take it off anybody's list, got no axe to grind, and i don't already know the answers to my questions, i just thought i'd go straight to the source with the Norfolk thread. Phew hope that's clear, thanx in advance for any input. Apols if it's been discussed before.
Cheers!

Oh yes nearly forgot - belated happy birthday to Penny.

I think Steve Gantlett commented on the throat colour a few years back, but was this the only male left at that time? I also cannot remember if this was thought to be as a colour variant due to it being a race of the nominate. But there was also discussion that the birds were indeed not 100% pure.

Shame it is probably the last one out there - haven't heard anything recently about the released male that frequented Sculthorpe Moor a year or two ago.

Belated birthday greetings Ms. Clarke.

Pat

Last edited:
I've been out of the loop for a decade or so now but seriously that's the last Golden Pheasant at Wolferton? Wow
How does this compare with the late 80's when I ticked it there, we didn't seem to have any problems finding any right through to around 2000.
Blimey how times change
Dave Walters

This isn't definitive, but based on comments and discussion before, the dark throat on this bird (and some before it) are the result of a gene mutation, possibly present in the initial birds that were released, or possibly arising from subsequent generations. Inbreeding has made this gene/genes more prevalent. The birds are sometimes called var obscurus.

The Lady Amherst's hybrid idea was banded about a lot, but without much evidence. I don't think there were ever any sightings of Lady Amherst's Pheasant in the area, and as Dave Appleton pointed out a while back, hybrids would be very obvious to start off, with the hybrid features becoming less obvious over generations. This isn't what happened at Wolferton.

Just out of interest, what's the situation with that Golden Pheasant? I heard an unconfirmed fifth-hand rumour that it might have some Lady A's genetics somewhere back in its' history? The photos i've seen, it seems to have a dark throat, and comparing images of GP and Lady A's, it does look like it could have a few stray genes?
This is not to cast nasturtiums, i haven't ticked it, don't want to take it off anybody's list, got no axe to grind, and i don't already know the answers to my questions, i just thought i'd go straight to the source with the Norfolk thread. Phew hope that's clear, thanx in advance for any input. Apols if it's been discussed before.
Cheers!

Oh yes nearly forgot - belated happy birthday to Penny.

There are still pure Goldies in The Brecks, but it won't be long until they have disappeared. Shame, nice bit of the Norfolk birding tapestry.

Any tips for the Breydon Yellowlegs? Weather permitting I might get down there over the weekend.
Cheers,
Jim.

There are still pure Goldies in The Brecks, but it won't be long until they have disappeared. Shame, nice bit of the Norfolk birding tapestry.

Any tips for the Breydon Yellowlegs? Weather permitting I might get down there over the weekend.
Cheers,
Jim.
Hi Jim. Walked the South side yesterday {28th} from Burgh Castle to Great Yarmouth. The tide was high so did not get to see the Yellowlegs. But got a Buzzard at Burgh Two Marsh Harriers and a Short-eared-Owl over the Halvergate side of Breydon and a Peregrine and a Sparrowhawk on the South side marshes. So a good bird of prey day. Was told the Yellowlegs is still there and likes to mix with the Redshanks get the tide right my friend and good luck. Chris:t:

Hi guys, thanks for your advice.
I got to Burgh Castle around 12, and the water level was too high really, but I wasn't far off as upon arrival the sky was plastered with Godwit, Shall and Lapwing. All moved off into the flooded marshes, waiting for the tide to recede. At least 4 Marshies came through, spooking the Teal. Bearded Tit could be heard pinging, and skeins of Pinks cruises overhead. Nothing out of the ordinary, but a wonderful spectacle. Only half an hour from my house, I'll make this a more regular trip this year. It also boosted my 'birds seen at historical sites' list!
Cheers,
Jim.

Hi guys, thanks for your advice.
I got to Burgh Castle around 12, and the water level was too high really, but I wasn't far off as upon arrival the sky was plastered with Godwit, Shall and Lapwing. All moved off into the flooded marshes, waiting for the tide to recede. At least 4 Marshies came through, spooking the Teal. Bearded Tit could be heard pinging, and skeins of Pinks cruises overhead. Nothing out of the ordinary, but a wonderful spectacle. Only half an hour from my house, I'll make this a more regular trip this year. It also boosted my 'birds seen at historical sites' list!
Cheers,
Jim.

It is a great spot - always plenty about and even more if you wander up the south wall towards GY. The Berney reserve is also well worth a look too. You can walk it from the Asda GY car park in easily under an hour and normally have the place to yourself. Fantastic at dusk with Pinkfeet coming in to roost.
See the yellowlegs was reported again today.

Colour-ringed Coot.

Any opinions as to the likely origin of this bird seen at Salthouse Duck Pond on 29th. January will be gratefully received and acknowledged.

The finding details have been forwarded to the BTO but the absence of a metal ring leads me to suspect this particular ringing venture may not be registered. Bearing in mind what great travellers Coots can be, it would be very satisfying to have an answer.

My thanks in anticipation.

Attachments

• DSC_6849-001.jpg
    DSC_6849-001.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
It is a great spot - always plenty about and even more if you wander up the south wall towards GY. The Berney reserve is also well worth a look too. You can walk it from the Asda GY car park in easily under an hour and normally have the place to yourself. Fantastic at dusk with Pinkfeet coming in to roost.
See the yellowlegs was reported again today.

Blimey mate you move some in under an hour :smoke:

Titchwell February 1st

Today's highlights

Brambling - 3 on feeders
Dunlin - 166 on fresh marsh
Avocet - 36 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 1 on tidal pool

Paul

For most mortals the walk to Berney is closer to 2 1\2 hours if you do not hang about too much. You will usually have plenty to see so add at least another hour .

Titchwell February 2nd

Today's highlights

Avocet - 35 on fresh marsh
Black tailed godwit - 110 on fresh marsh
Greenshank - 1 on tidal pool
Woodcock - 1 in scrub between visitor centre and carpark
Brambling - 3 on feeders

Paul

More on the Goldies

This isn't definitive, but based on comments and discussion before, the dark throat on this bird (and some before it) are the result of a gene mutation, possibly present in the initial birds that were released, or possibly arising from subsequent generations. Inbreeding has made this gene/genes more prevalent. The birds are sometimes called var obscurus.

The Lady Amherst's hybrid idea was banded about a lot, but without much evidence. I don't think there were ever any sightings of Lady Amherst's Pheasant in the area, and as Dave Appleton pointed out a while back, hybrids would be very obvious to start off, with the hybrid features becoming less obvious over generations. This isn't what happened at Wolferton.

Finally caught up withe the birds after a couple of years of avian kerb crawling links on the latest blog will tell you everything you need to know about the last bird. and others of his kin

https://hethersettbirdingblog.wordpress.com/2016/02/04/missing-egyptians-and-the-golden-triangle/

Please could some kind person tell me the best place to park and view the shag roost at Hunstanton. Also what time would be the most productive. Many thanks Steve

I was driving west along Queen's Road in Norwich this evening and at 4.34 was stopped at the traffic lights next to Sainsburys when I noticed a really nice "murmuration" of starlings swirling over the St Stephens / Chapelfield area. Hard to estimate numbers, certainly several hundred, maybe as many as 1,500. Unfortunately the lights went green, so I wasn't able to see if/ where they went down.

Stew

Hi Stew.

I photographed the murmuration over St Stephen's Street on Thursday at around 16:30 and have just counted the birds visible on my photo - approximately 520. As the final flock is made up of smaller groups coming in from different directions it is possible that more could have joined them before going to roost though. The flock is certainly noticeably smaller than last year, although still a great spectacle to see on the way home.

Regards,

James

I was driving west along Queen's Road in Norwich this evening and at 4.34 was stopped at the traffic lights next to Sainsburys when I noticed a really nice "murmuration" of starlings swirling over the St Stephens / Chapelfield area. Hard to estimate numbers, certainly several hundred, maybe as many as 1,500. Unfortunately the lights went green, so I wasn't able to see if/ where they went down.

Stew

Attachments

• Starling count.jpg
    Starling count.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 104

Users who are viewing this thread

Back