• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bempton Cliffs/Flamborough Head (1 Viewer)

mathare

I'm heading up to Bempton Cliffs and Flamborough Head towards the end of April and am wondering which kit to take with me. I'm going a large part of the way on public transport (up from London to see family in NE Lincs then with them up to Bempton Cliffs) so am looking to minimise weight and unnecessary kit while not compromising on getting the most out of the trip. Obviously the bins are coming with me but do I need the scope, tripod and hide clamp?

Having read the Opus entry and the RSPB reserve webpage I don't really know how many hides there are, for example. And I've read it can be windy on top of the cliffs making scoping harder.

Any local advice welcome :t:

As Ken says there are no hides at Bempton, instead there are paths along the top edges of the cliffs with several "observation" points which give great views of the cliff faces and sea below.

Inland on the Reserve is rough grassland and bushes.

Check the weather forecast and pack your bins and scope.

Shane

Thanks to both of you. Bins, scope and tripod then but no hide clamp sounds like the best option.

Unless you are doing some Seawatching near the lighthouse, I don't really think you'll need a scope at Bempton. All the species are pretty close. If you want to cut down on extra weight then I'd leave it at home. I've never regretted not taking a scope to Bempton

I'm not going to get to places like Bempton very often, I don't want the possible regret of not making the most of it just to save a few kilos. Besides, there is a decent chance for more birding around Lincs on the Monday after the Bempton weekend so I will probably have the scope up that way anyway.

Definitly take the scope as you'll be mad not to call in at Flamborough whilst you're up there, where if something turns up, you'll probably need it! Personally I prefer Flamb by a country mile as you'll see all the seabirds from the headland, plus there will be more passerines and migrants. But if its close views of puffins and the memorable aroma of auk poo, bempton can't be beaten!

Also agreed; take the scope. While the breeding seabirds are very close, if the weather is right and skuas, shearwaters etc are on the move off the head they are often at some distance. There is a hide at Flamborough at Thornwick but a clamp really is an optional extra for this area. I do a lot of public transport birding which often has some significant walking element to the trip and (apart from a brief grumble here and there during the more endurance end of yomping) have never regretted taking the scope.

Last edited:
Just wanted to thank everyone for their advice in this thread. I got back from Bempton/Flamborough the other day and am just about to start writing up brief reports from the area. Really enjoyed it, a lovely spot.

Did I need the scope? No, but I'm damn glad I took it as it gave better views of the puffins on the cliffs and sea than were possible through bins alone. It didn't get much use around Flamborough other than at Thornwick Pool but I didn't mind lugging it about too much

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back