View Single Post
Old Friday 29th July 2005, 15:58   #44
Brian Stone
A Stone chatting

Good idea Ken. Of course the one thing that isn't very variable on Large Yellow Underwing (Noctua pronuba) is the size and shape. There isn't anything else that big and long and 'hard'.

I make it seven Noctua yellow underwing species but the common five can be separated on size and shape.

Large (pronuba): see above.
Lesser (comes): a size down but still a chunky moth. shorter and broader than pronuba. No pic at the moment.
Broad-bordered (fimbriata): always an impressive moth, as large as pronuba but a very distinctive blunt front end and softly coloured banding.
Lesser Broad-bordered (janthe): smaller than comes and with a distinctive greenish "headband". there isn't much variation in upper forewing markings.
Least (interjecta): the baby of the bunch with a fairly uniform rich, reddish upperside. Looks more like other noctuids but still flashes the bright yellow hindwings like the others. Again no pic yet.

I must admit I have stopped looking for Lunar YU (N. orbona) but I've noticed a few "lessers" with rather dark marks near the wingtip so perhaps I should be checking more thoroughly. Any tips for things to point me in the right direction would be very welcome as I get hundreds of Lesser YU (N. comes) once they get going.

As for Langmaid's (janthina), dream on!

HTH
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	broad-bordered_yu_19jul05_420_20.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	26727  Click image for larger version

Name:	lbbyu_3jun05_420_20a.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	26728  Click image for larger version

Name:	lbbyu_3jun05_420_20b.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	26729  

Last edited by brianhstone : Friday 29th July 2005 at 16:03.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation