• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (2 Viewers)

ardnasx1 said:
Quick trip to Cruisetown today, couldn't find the velvet scoters (but that's not to say they weren't there). Saw 6 slavonian grebes together.
6 slavs is a excellent record for Louth,well done Sandra. numbers seem to be building up steadly

Got unconvincing views of the scoter on sunday - tide all wrong this week. Iwebs results for a count on sunday found 5000+ dunlin; 10,000+ oystercatcher, 8000+ golden plover; 2000+ black tailed godwit etc...9 ruff together at seabank...

The green wing teal at dundalk harbour moved up the main channel yesterday and was difficult to see at low tide - hopefully will stick around - a few distant shots...bird was quite vocal - a sort of high pitched quacking...

(correction to a bit of bird dyslexia in post a few above - i meant surf scoter off carrickfergus, not velvet scoter! - sorry about that)

Attachments

• green-wing teal dundalk harb nov 06.jpg
    green-wing teal dundalk harb nov 06.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 117
  • ruff seabank oct 06.jpg
    ruff seabank oct 06.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 135
  • green wing teal quacking at dundalk harb nov 06.jpg
    green wing teal quacking at dundalk harb nov 06.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Not much of a day for birding - wall to wall rain...however was lucky enough to stumble on a black brant in carlingford bay about half way between carlingford and greenore...rubbish shot taken at 500 yards in the rain and falling light. Also rubbish shot of a male sparrowhawk coming into adult plumage (grey spots on back)...bird was tiny, harldy bigger than a thrush, but expertly grabbed a greenfinch from the bird table without a pause.

Attachments

• black brant carlingford bay nov 06.jpg
    black brant carlingford bay nov 06.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 118
  • sparrowhawk male garden nov 06.jpg
    sparrowhawk male garden nov 06.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 107
Hi All,
Just found and joined the forum,

My name is Peter Phillips from Ardee. When I am not commuting I like to do a bit of birding or ringing.

I think I have met some of you. Enda at the coast and Breffni at Belfast Lough. I am guessing that Sandra is the Little Tern lady.

Look forward to seeing you all on monday night at the Spirit Store

Peter

Peter Phillips said:
Hi All,

My name is Peter Phillips from Ardee. When I am not commuting I like to do a bit of birding or ringing.

I think I have met some of you. Enda at the coast and Breffni at Belfast Lough. I am guessing that Sandra is the Little Tern lady.

Peter
Hi Peter, welcome to the forum. Yes, that's me, the same Sandra. Hope to make it along too on Monday night.

Peter Phillips said:
Hi All,

Peter
Hi Peter - alas i may not be able to make it Monday but will surely bump into you again - off to larne now for some little auks, hopefully.

Peter Phillips said:
Hi All,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Long time no see or hear!! Welcome to this forum which I'm sure you will find is fantastic and growing. Monday night doesn't look good for me either but I'm sure we will meet up again soon. Good birding.

Freddie Vernon.

the 3 yanks are still present in Louth today,forsters tern-cruisetown,black brant-carlingford &green wing teal-Dundalk docks with 5 eider at hermitage(thanks sandra,margaret&tommy)also 6 little egrets at belurgan
welcome Peter a while since we last met,maybe we"ll see a bit more of you in the coming weeks/months ahead

Attachments

• eider hermi.jpg
    eider hermi.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 124
Birding The Gambia - A Talk and Slide Show 7PM

PLEASE NOTE TALK WILL START AT 7PM INSTEAD OF THE USUAL 8PM

On Monday the 20th of November '06 Lorraine Benson will give a talk and slide show about a birding trip to The Gambia in West Africa at the Spirit Store. The Gambia is one of the most accessible and affordable countries in west Africa - it also boasts over 500 species of bird. The talk will cover the birds seen on the group trip as well as some practical information on getting there (but will be interesting even if you never plan to go!).

The talk will start about 7:00pm.

Admission free - any contributions welcome.

Enda said:
the 3 yanks are still present in Louth today,forsters tern-cruisetown,black brant-carlingford &green wing teal-Dundalk docks with 5 eider at hermitage(thanks sandra,margaret&tommy)also 6 little egrets at belurgan
welcome Peter a while since we last met,maybe we"ll see a bit more of you in the coming weeks/months ahead
It was a great view of the eider, when they flew in they landed about 20 yards out from the shore, certainly was the highlight of my day. Managed to catch up with the black brant on Saturday, great that it has stayed around.

breffni said:
On Monday the 20th of November '06 Lorraine Benson will give a talk and slide show about a birding trip to The Gambia in West Africa at the Spirit Store. The Gambia is one of the most accessible and affordable countries in west Africa - it also boasts over 500 species of bird. The talk will cover the birds seen on the group trip as well as some practical information on getting there (but will be interesting even if you never plan to go!).QUOTE]

Enjoyable talk in the Spirit Store last night. Lorraine gave a very good presentation. It was a good opportunity for birders to introduce themselves and exchange contact details etc. I met Peter, Chris and Susan for the first time, its great to enlarge the circle of local birders!!

Went to Lurgangreen today- high tide. Had 7 Little Egrets, 21 Greylag and 29 Greenland White-fronts no sign of geese at Stabbannon/Annagassan or Dromisk. Had distant views of probable Black-throated Diver at Cruisetown.

Quick trip to Lurgangreen today, good numbers of greylag geese there. Hadn't time to look through them all but I did spot 2 barnacle geese among them, I'd imagine these are the same two that have been seen in Dromiskin.

Beautiful light today - no heat haze, cold and clear in the afternoon sun...watched a peregrine take a roosting redshank and eat it, also good views of the lighter buzzard and a pupole sandpiper at balaggan point - first time i've seen the latter there.

Attachments

• purple sandpiper balaggan point nov 06.jpg
    purple sandpiper balaggan point nov 06.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 163
  • buzzard balaggan point nov 06.jpg
    buzzard balaggan point nov 06.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 127
  • peregrine falcon with pprey balaggan nov 06.jpg
    peregrine falcon with pprey balaggan nov 06.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 138
breffni said:
Beautiful light today - no heat haze, cold and clear in the afternoon sun...watched a peregrine take a roosting redshank and eat it, also good views of the lighter buzzard and a pupole sandpiper at balaggan point - first time i've seen the latter there.

"pupole" sandpiper, i bet thats got a few people searching the field guides & scratching there heads. nice one Breffni

forsters tern is still present at cruisetown, long tail duck at salterstown, 3 pinkfooted geese & 2 barnacle geese at lurgangreen

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back