• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review selects Athlon Midas 8x42 best value binocular (1 Viewer)

My take on the Athlon products...

I have a Athlon Ares 8X42. Notice I haven't said anything about it? Optically it's pretty good.. .built quality I'd say less than average. Not a cheap binocular either. Focus adjustment is well below average these days. I'd put Zen-Ray and Athlon in the same group....the no recommend group. YMMV.

I never tried that one Chuck but you are right...it looks to be of the same design as the Zen Ray, Atlas Optics Intrepid and several others. I have tried some of the others...Cronus, Midas and Argos. The Midas is the only one that isn't similar to other products from other companies though each has a little twist on the original concept.

Gosh Jerry:

.......... With two empty suitcases, and $500 to spend, a person can come back from Asia as an optical maggot, ........

Bill

WOW-I can become an optical maggot for only $500.-I will specialize in Ruby coated Zooms

edj

Last edited:
Consider the source.

"The Wirecutter and The Sweethome (part of The New York Times Company) are lists of the best gadgets and gear for people who quickly want to know what to get. When readers choose to buy our independently chosen editorial picks, we earn affiliate commissions that support our work.

The Best Tabletop Radio
Sangean WR-11
We tested six tabletop radios from the most popular manufacturers and found the Sangean WR-11 to be the best combination of style, ease of use, and performance.

Runner-up: Sangean WR-15
Same electronics, same features, different orientation

Budget pick: Crosley Solo
A little more retro, a little less refined

Upgrade pick: Sangean WR-50P system
A true stereo radio system with tons of features"

The other two "tested" are buried further down, but first a word from our sponsor

" Table of contents:

Why you should trust me - Runner-up: Sangean WR-15
How we picked and tested - Budget pick: Crosley Solo
Our pick: Sangean WR-11 - Upgrade pick: Sangean WR-50P
Flaws but not dealbreakers - The competition"

The four are available from Amazon and/or Target/WalMart. The other two are buried at the bottom of the page as part of the lowly competition. The competition section is merely the third round to extol the virtues of a Sangean model and dismiss others w/o actually providing impartial test results.

Compare to this site: https://www.themasterswitch.com/best-tabletop-radios

Which has many more examples is laid out plainly moving from one to the other in similiar fashion w/o apparent bias. Tied together nicely at the end w/chart listing all w/features and price.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back