• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (3 Viewers)

the hen harrier made its way to kinnordy today along with an iceland/icelandic gull i missed both,there was a lot more birdlife today compared to the last few weeks, lots of swans mute/ whooper, some teal,goldeneye, a pair of goosander, long tailed blue great and coal tits, one magpie in the field imediatly to the left of the loch ,and a pair of carrion crows gathering nesting material,maybe they are trying to beat the rooks at nestbuilding ?
here are two pics take at kinnordy today
longttkin.jpg

chaffinchkinn-1.jpg

aythya_hybrid said:
leisurely stroll up Glen Isla - 20-25 Raven,

How far up the Glen were you for the Raven? It's only a long hop skip and a jump from my Patch and I keep looking for them there.

Kas said:
One day I will get down for the tour Delia, Green Woodpecker and Jay would be life birds for me, and in return you can come and see my Long tailed ducks whilst having a relaxing seat in the house.

You'll be welcome anytime but could you hang on to a Glaucus Gull for me. You may have noticed elsewhere I've just seen loads of Long Tailed Ducks ;)

Those are cracking pictures, again kawwauser.

I was at Kinnordy for a couple of hours this afternoon. En route I saw 4 Common Buzzard, two flying just outside Rattray (Pondfaulds), one near the gates of Airlie Castle, which flew down onto the road with a Wood Pigeon, I stopped well short but it flew off anyway without it's prize, then another on the Kaims of Airlie road beside Ghenty Farm. A further two were at Kinnordy, so 6 in total. Also on this road (at the large dung heap) near Cairnleith Farm, a rather nice Grey Wagtail.

A pair of Shoveler flew along to the west end of the Loch as I drove past - the place is absolutely hotching with both Mute and Whooper Swans, also Mallard, Teal, Wigeon, Tufted Duck, Pintail and Goldeneye. A few Goosanders, Shelduck and Coot around too. Just a single Grey Heron flew across on the far side.

I'd heard that an Iceland Gull had been seen recently, but my informant today said he hadn't seen it. However, very patiently, I scoped through the large raft of Gulls (I don't do gulls normally) Black Headed, Common, juvenile ers..... and then I found it a Lifer for me. :D

Blue and Great Tit outside the Gullery Hide, but I didn't have time to do anything else

D

delia todd said:
I'd heard that an Iceland Gull had been seen recently, but my informant today said he hadn't seen it. However, very patiently, I scoped through the large raft of Gulls (I don't do gulls normally) Black Headed, Common, juvenile ers..... and then I found it a Lifer for me. :D

D

Nice one, I am glad you caught up with it, nothing like a lifer to put a spring in the step. In fact I have quite often danced like the estatic smiley when getting one. Iceland Gulls are great I hope it hangs around for you.

i was at kinnordy today but didn.t know the iceland gull was still present, the notice board hasn,t been updated since last week and i never thought of checking
i saw a female goosander which is my first this year ,ive seen a lot of males kinnordy/tullybackart , there was also a pair of cormorants at tullybackart, on the way to kinnordy i passed six buzzards, surely this is now our most common bird of prey?i have pics from a few years ago of a buzzard nest less than twelve feet from the ground in a public park in dundee, the birds reared two chicks ,i also spotted one goldcrest and a female stonechat at the bottom of the sidlaw hills
these pics were taken at kinnordy/surrounding farmland
robin.jpg

whooper.jpg

pintail.jpg

pintail2.jpg

buzzard.jpg

buzzard2.jpg

Not a bad day today (visiting my parents again, this time for serious birding....)

got the Bonaparte's Gull at Ferryden
superb Iceland Gull at the landfill tip just east of Forfar
98 Whooper Swan and a few goosander at Kinnordy, but the loch was mostly frozen, so no sign of smew.
10+ Hawfinch at Scone.

Going to try some places in Fife tomorrow....

I was staying with my sister in Dalguise at her Bed and Breakfast for a few days this week. I came over to Scotland with the express idea of seeing a Crested Tit. So I went upto Loch Garten without much success part from Robins!! Having spent an hour walking around with the new fall of snow dropping from the pines it was quite difficult to bird. So I went over to Corrimony on the side of Loch Ness again nothing apart from Raven, Buzzard and Coal tits.

Back to Dalguise where there were 10 Whooper Swans on the Kinnaird Beat of the Tay. There was also a male Goosander. My sister has a pair of Great Spotted Woodpecker that come to her feeders but I could never get close to photograph. She had tons of Chaffinch, Bluetit, Coal tit and Great Tit to the feeders but little else. She also has some Red Squirrels that come to the feeders.

I then went to Loch of Llowes where they have a great feeding station where I saw Siskin and again Gt. Spotted Woodpecker and out on the Loch there were Goldeneye, Tufted, Mallard, Gt Crested Grebe and Cormorant.

I was at Milton Cottage for three days and every morning around six one could hear Tawny Owls in the vicinity.

I hope to go back in April to catch up with some Scottish birds that I have yet to see. Capercaillie, Black Grouse, Crossbill and Crested Tit.

Attachments

• Woodpecker.jpg
    Woodpecker.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 252
  • Siskin.jpg
    Siskin.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 243
rock and roll

A most excellent day in Fife (and indeed also Kinross today):

17 pale-bellied brents, long-tailed duck and 4 slav grebes on the Eden Estuary
31 purple sandpipers on rocks by the St.Andrews golf museum
6 Tree Sparrow in Craigrothie
drake surf scoter off Lower Largo
99 Whooper Swans and a peregrine in fields east of Vane Farm
drake Smew, Little Egret and red-throated diver at vane farm
killer whale off north queensferry.

Back of the net.

Sounds to me like you've had a very gooood weekend

I've not managed anything this weekend but hoping to get out tomorrow

D

A mixed flock of Fieldfare, Redwing and Starlings in a field at Drimmie.

Blue Tit, Chaffinch and Greenfinch at feeders. Other than that just a single Buzzard heard.

Bit quiet really

D

oops forgot to update this yesterday!

Sunday

About 20 Starlings in a field at Drimmie, along with 2 Oystercatchers.

I could have sworn I heard a Curlew call (just the once though)

With ten Oystercatchers on my Patch and the return of a Moorhen things seem to be building up.

Also 2 Jays near the car park at Drimmie Forest.

Monday

A pair of Dabchick now on my Patch and a pair of Buzzards displaying.

Very very brief stop at Lintrathen 100+ Common Gulls on the water, Goldeneye, Coot, Tufted and Goosander

Then on to Kinnordy - well over 100 Whooper Swans, 3 Gadwall a single Cormorant. Watched a couple of Coots having a battle royal as well. Otherwise everything else much as usual there.

D

Tayport and Morton Lochs

Went to Tayport - bright and sunny but a very cold wind. Tide coming in.

Hundreds of Eider, also Shelduck and Wigeon. A couple of Goosanders too.

Plenty of Oystercatchers and Curlew and eventually a flock of Redshanks came in but that was it for the Waders.

Moved on to Morton Lochs after that lots of Mallard, of course, with Teal and a pair of Gadwall, one male Pochard.

I could only see one Dabchick but think there were more, as I heard a couple calling.

A Common Sandpiper was reported in the book.

A few Buzzards around and a large flock of Lapwings flying over as we were leaving.

D

I have been out doing bird research near Montrose over the past few days and had c 500 Pink-feet NE on 13th and about c 450 today. lots of buzzards and a male sparrowhawk flushed a flock of 100 Yellowhammers.

100 Yellowhammers Ade? Gosh! The most I've ever seen was about 20.

I couldn't face being blown away up the hill again, so thought I'd have a run along the Leitfie Road to Hallyards.

One Skylark singing over a field of something green. Detouring down to the Aberbrothie bridge to look at the Isla, there were around 30 Oystercatchers sitting on the bank, two Curlews and 2 Lapwings in the fields. I could hear some Starlings but couldn't spot them anywhere.

Moving on towards the Golf Course, there was a single Yellowhammer singing, with Greenfinch, Robin, Chaffinch and a Goldfinch.

I stopped for a while near Netherton Farm (where I've seen Whoopers in the past) and they didn't let me down today - around 60 but not all visible for the trees. Also, what I thought were about 80 Pinkfeet Geese, but suddenly a whole load took to the air and I estimate there were getting on for 3-400. There's some oxbow erm... you could hardly call them lakes but there were loads of Wigeon on one of them, with a couple of Teal and some Mallard. A couple of hundred Jackdaws came in to roost on the trees.

Two Herons, a Roe Deer and a Grey Squirrel completed the trip.

D

Hello all, If anyone is out birding and see Yellowhammers please can you check for colour rings. Not alot happening otherwise near Carnoustie, c30 Skylarks in a few groups passed threw, 3 Grey Herons, 5 Buzzards, 1 Sparrowhawk male trapped, 2 Kestrels, 2 Yellowhammers trapped with a flock of 130 present, 4 Oystercatchers.

Thanks
Adrian

I had to make a quick visit to Dunkeld this afternoon, so took my time coming back.

First visit to Loch of the Lowes, just in the hope that... but no sign yet.

The loch was quiet at the hide end, mostly Goldeneye there. The feeders were busy with Chaffinch, Blue and Great Tits. A Wren was scurrying around with nesting material. Two Great Spotted Woodpeckers, flew into a tree near the feeders.

From there I drove along the back road stopping several times to look at the water. Many Great Crested Grebes and Mallards, of course, and a few Whooper Swans but a surprise for me was a single Long Tailed Duck.

The trees and bushes around Letter Farm were busy with more Chaffinch, another Wren , Blackbirds, Greenfinch, and I heard the first of 4 Yellowhammers (couldn't see them though).

The fields all the way through Snaigow, Craigie and Essendy held many Oystercatchers, Lapwing and Curlews. There were also two Redshank wading through some flood water in one field.

What a lovely warm and sunny day it was today.

D

Did the 'big circle' yesterday to meet up with friends at Pitlochry.

Still patches of soft slushy snow on Moulin Moor but Curlews and Lapwings have arrived up there, sat for some time with a view point and eventually found a male Hen Harrier (top spot of the trip that).

There were several Stonechats flitting about in the heather. Then the first of two Buzzards for the trip

Not much showing in Pitlochry itself (the Theatre area), Herring Gull, loads of Chaffinch, Mallards on the river, but in the distance were a large flock of what looked like Fieldfare.

I then drove the Dunfallandy road through Logierait to Aberfeldy, loads more Oystercatchers, Curlew, Lapwing in virtually every field. Near Aberfeldy in flooded fields, were some Teal and a Mute Swan, Common and Black Headed Gulls .

Up then to Loch na Craig with Goldeneye and Little Grebes.

Then a Dipper on River Braan at Trochry.

D

visted kinnordy yesterday,the black headed gulls are pairing off and the rooks are well into nest building, seen one pair of widgeon and seven tufted ducks, plenty of oystercatchers about and some arguing coots, both mute and whooper swan are still there as well as blue/coal/great tit, good to see the local robin is still present
http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showphoto.php/photo/134160/sort/1/cat/500/page/1
on the way to kinnordy i passed five pairs of buzzards which are now displaying in flight

Surprisingly there were still a flock of approx 120 of Yellowhammers on a stubble strip near Careston today. Good to hear an Osprey has return to Lock of Lowes. I have heard a report that a Tawny Owl chick has been seen outside the box, just to reitterate how warm this winter has been.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back