• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How practical are the alpha 10X50s for general birding? (2 Viewers)

Ron, that would be "Mad Dog Gear". It's the Bino-Manager recommended by "etudiant" in post #18. It's now so cheap from Coleman ($8.78) that I just ordered 3 more as a lifetime supply. The thing I like about this harness design is that it uses a sternum strap (you don't have to use the pouch thing) instead of the binding armpit straps that most harnesses use. The binocular handling is just like using a neck strap, but with no weight on the neck.

solo,
I can just tell you really want a 10x50 and are prepared to deal with the size and weight issue. We'd love to hear a report on the Swarovision in that size. Do it, man. It's bound to be fantastic!

Ron

Oh Ron, I'm trying so hard to fight off temptation, but every dozen years or so I just get this insatiable itch to give up my old faithfuls and find something new and exciting to go cavorting around with . . . at 50, I think it's reached mid-life crisis proportions . . .

But really, those good old 8X32s are darn near perfect. If I'm going to justify anything new it needs to be something really different . . . which is why the 10X50s just might be the ticket . . .

At least they're cheaper than a new sports car . . .

While we're on the topic of harnesses, do any of them allow you to use your protective eyepiece covers?

Here is a common way to use the eyepiece covers. Just use a piece of
shoelace, cut to the proper size to tether them. Then just tie it to a ring or
whatever. It even works well with factory strap. I find they hang better and
less bothersome than through the strap.

Jerry

Well, no experience on alpha 10x50, since my Nikon 10x50 CF Action EX is not an alpha at all. But after buying it, I have been able to use it in many different environments and climates. I do hike a lot when I am birding (I prefer walking when many take their car). If you think weight could be a problem for you, take a lighter bin, but personally I don't have a problem with that. I also have been able to try some alphas (Leika and Swaro) other birders use, most of which are 8x something. Well, superb view, but my bino's view does not pale in comparison. On the other hand, I have been able to identify some species I would not have been able to see with just 8x. Field of view has been a problem only in some rare occasions (surprisingly, from home with birds on the trees in front of my windows!). I do enjoy the crepuscolar view which the big lenses make possible.

I think 10x50 could be the best "all around" birding bin (for my use), even if for some environments or situations an 8x30 (like the one I used to take with me) would be just fine. Some experienced birders would shun your bino, on the other hand one of the most able birders in my area uses the cheaper non waterproof Nikon Action model. But don't listen to so much advice (including mine), as there is a lot of subjectivity in this issue. Try for your own, and think for your own. What do you miss in your daily birding? In my case, it was that extra bit of magnification and the money to buy an expensive alpha, but that has to do with my birding style and with the country I am from (where flight distance is quite far away and wages low). Plus I was fond of the old Porro design. So my 10x50 works fine for me. Well, just decide on your own, this is my opinion.

Last edited:
Ron, that would be "Mad Dog Gear". It's the Bino-Manager recommended by "etudiant" in post #18. It's now so cheap from Coleman ($8.78) that I just ordered 3 more as a lifetime supply. The thing I like about this harness design is that it uses a sternum strap (you don't have to use the pouch thing) instead of the binding armpit straps that most harnesses use. The binocular handling is just like using a neck strap, but with no weight on the neck.

The harness also works well as just a set of suspenders for the binocs..
Simply fasten the sternum strap around your belt in the back. That prevents the binocs from gradually pulling up the sternum strap unless it is cinched tight.
The only downside is that the snugging action of the pouch and sternum strap is lost, but unless crawling through the brush that should not be an issue.

Not a 10x50, but my Monarch X 10,5x45 has a wide FOV and delivers a very bright image. It is not heavy at all and the focus speed is adequate. Eye placement is not very critical even if a 10x50 should be easier to just grab and watch.
There definitely is a CA problem, but when avoiding situations with extreme contrast, it is quite nice.

But for general birding? Scarcely! For longer distance and shore birds 10x is fine but it needs a complement, which for me means a 6x to 7x for reeds and forest birding, for quick little warblers et cetera.
A combination of these two bins is way more versatile than a sole 8x, but this is just my personal opinion.

But for general birding? Scarcely! For longer distance and shore birds 10x is fine but it needs a complement, which for me means a 6x to 7x for reeds and forest birding, for quick little warblers et cetera.
A combination of these two bins is way more versatile than a sole 8x, but this is just my personal opinion.

I also agree with this combination. Easy quiet 6x30, 6x32 viewing and 10x42 on a carbonfibre monopod guided with a quality ball-head and you can't go wrong.

I have the Leica Duovid 10+15x50s with Mad Dog harness,
they are great for open areas, like shores and western (US) plains;
but not so great for long hikes and closed in areas
due to weight and limited FOV

they would compliment your 8x32s and 10x42s
but not replace them

edj

I started birding in my mid 20's with a pair of CZJ 10x50's with a narrow leather lanyard.They were a popular choice in the UK in the 1970's.
They were superb with a wide FOV (128m @1000m) the only downside compared to modern binos was the modest 5m close focussing. I had no problem with them in woodland because of their impressive FOV.
Would I buy a modern 10x50? no way! unless I was only going to use them sat in a hide and even then, because of my age and usable pupil size would I still be better with 10x42?
Conclusion: the older you get the less suitable are 10x50's

10x42 on a carbonfibre monopod guided with a quality ball-head and you can't go wrong.

I agree that a monopod is useful with a 10x42 but IMO the very small weight savings of carbon fibre don't really justify the additional cost.
With a monopod you don't need the pan function of a ballhead and definitely don't want lateral tilt.
A simple tilt head like the Manfrooto 234 is ideal.

John

I saw the 10x50 EL today and it does have a more relaxed view than my 10yr old 10x42 EL.
As for the other advantages, I couldn't tell you from the view from behind the shop into the churchyard, but hopefully I will get to try them for a day or so in some different settings. Impressed though and the weight and size difference compared to my 10x42 - not so noticeable...

One spec I can't find is the range of adjustment for the sternum strap. Will it fit "big" guys? (eg I wear a XXL shirt).

I started birding in my mid 20's with a pair of CZJ 10x50's with a narrow leather lanyard.They were a popular choice in the UK in the 1970's.
They were superb with a wide FOV (128m @1000m) the only downside compared to modern binos was the modest 5m close focussing. I had no problem with them in woodland because of their impressive FOV.
Would I buy a modern 10x50? no way! unless I was only going to use them sat in a hide and even then, because of my age and usable pupil size would I still be better with 10x42?
Conclusion: the older you get the less suitable are 10x50's

Actually, Robert (and Wal.S and Looksharp too) you can use 10 x 50 binoculars for very serious general birding and you can continue to use them as you get older too! In fact you can use the same ones for a very long time and save your self much money.:t:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48014585@N00/3636839653/

http://www.livingbird.org/Page.aspx?pid=1218

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=1599746

Bob

Last edited:
I use a pair of leica 10+15x50s with bino harness for open areas with good results;
but the weight, smaller FOV, is just not worth it for closed in areas.
The are great binoculars for their limited use, but not all around binos.

edj

Actually, Robert (and Wal.S and Looksharp too) you can use 10 x 50 binoculars for very serious general birding and you can continue to use them as you get older too! In fact you can use the same ones for a very long time and save your self much money.:t:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48014585@N00/3636839653/

http://www.livingbird.org/Page.aspx?pid=1218

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=1599746

Bob

Bob, Chandler has that binocular objective lens "stopped down" to have a better view with less aberrations.:-O

Well, I'd be really happy to own an EL 10x50. However, I am extremely content with my combination of Vortex 6,5x32 and FL 10x32.
Realizing that the brightness of the FL 10x32 hasn't proven insufficient in any birding situation thus far, I can no more see the need for larger apertures than 42-43 mm for normal birding.
The FL is really nice and will see a lot of use, but the 6,5x is indispensable for me thanks to its speed of use.

I have an old Swift Newport II with a huge FOV (about 130 m/1000 m) , but the FOV of the FL is not far behind with 120 meters, and in every other aspect it easily beats the old Swift. The FL is definitely a lot more useful and handy than a 10x50 porro.

My thoughts about having dual magnifications at hand would mean carrying a 7x50 + a 10x50, which naturally is out of question.
I could consider using a 7x42 together with the 10x32, but the 6,5x32 covers the rare occasions when the FL is too dim.

//L

One spec I can't find is the range of adjustment for the sternum strap. Will it fit "big" guys? (eg I wear a XXL shirt).

Hi Bob,

The strap would fit you just fine.
I'm only mid sized (40R) so I use it tightened as much as possible, using the stretch in the straps to snug the cover over the glass. There is an extra 14" of strap if one lets out both buckles fully. That should give you room.

Received the Bino Manager today and yes it fits :) Now to sanity check things in the field although initial impressions are quite favorable. I like the design a whole lot more that traditional harness set ups.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back