• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (3 Viewers)

I was out the door at the first light of dawn and down on the River Rea. I could hear Kingfisher in the distance making the two tone calls and then saw one checking out the bank. That one then flew past. Then I saw another one coming and thought how nice two Kingfisher. I was then surprised to see a third one chasing the second one. I saw all the colours of the second one as it went past and then the third one doubled back on itself showing it's red under colour. A pretty impressive Kingfisher flying display. I heard my first Chiffchaff of the year tuning up it's call.
Back on the Bourn Brook, I could hear another Chiffchaff in full song, I looked up and could see it. I then waited for a few minutes and then heard the call approaching. Then a Kingfisher sped past, calling in the valley of the brook. Great!
I shall take a look at Senneleys Park for the L.Egret tomorrow. I have checked it out a few times for a Kingfisher, there is a listing on BTO but it's a small brook.
(In Essex earlier in the week, I saw a Marsh Harrier metres away from me and the Barn Owl again in the same spot)

Last edited:
Kingfisher along the Bourn Brook in Selly Oak yesterday morning around 9.30am, along with a couple of pairs of noisy and very mobile Grey Wagtails.

Good to bump into JackRabbit again.

Kingfisher this morning; two on the River Cole at the Dingles and Aqueduct rd. One on the Bourn Brook and a pair of Bullfinch. At Senneleys park there was a pair of Bullfinch and Grey Wagtails. Great!

Actually defected to Brandon Marsh near Coventry as am a member of WWT so was free to visit and park. Amazing place, all were buzzing about good sightings of a bearded tit - some had some great photos and a bittern - no photos! But I am buzzing about my kingfisher sighting. There is a small hide tucked away near some woods and they have placed two willow branches next to a small pond. At about 5.20pm a beautiful kingfisher came and sat on one of the branches and then proceeded to spend 5min fishing, successfully between a stake and the branches - amazing. I got some photos, but I do not have a long lens. My partner is going to set up a web thingy for me so watch this space!

Actually defected to Brandon Marsh near Coventry as am a member of WWT so was free to visit and park. At about 5.20pm a beautiful kingfisher came and sat on one of the branches and then proceeded to spend 5 min fishing, successfully between a stake and the branches - amazing. I got some photos, but I do not have a long lens. My partner is going to set up a web thingy for me so watch this space!

Hi Julie, yes I have been to Brandon Marsh a few times. The hide is very good for KF photo's, the best time to go is from mid May as then there will be young. A guy there once had six Kingfisher fly past, the adults and the young.
I got there like a shot that day. Looking forward to your photo's.
Here's my photo's from that hide
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/14285370317/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/15053242911/in/photostream/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/14869603198/in/photostream/

Last edited:
Manor Farm Park, 4pm

Stock Dove x 2 feeding on the grass near the playground
Great Crested Grebe x 1
Treecreeper - one seen briefly, more heard
GSW x 2 chasing each other through the trees at the north end of the pool
Goldcrests everywhere, including one individual which happily pecked away at the bark on an oak tree at eye level about three feet from me for several minutes.

No sign of Shoveler or Goosander. We've probably seen the last of them for a while, sadly.

Kingfisher - Kings Norton Playing Fields, 9.30am - near the small footbridge over the stream at the edge of the wood between the football pitches and the canal. Never seen one here before.

And then again about 10am along the River Rea next to Lifford Reservoir.

Kingfisher - Kings Norton Playing Fields, 9.30am - near the small footbridge over the stream at the edge of the wood between the football pitches and the canal. Never seen one here before.
And then again about 10am along the River Rea next to Lifford Reservoir.

Hi Rob, great news you saw the Kingfisher there.
I saw the usual one on the River Rea at Selly Park 7.30. A couple chiffchaff as well. Great!

Third or fourth Kingfisher of the day, this afternoon back on the Bourn Brook. There was a Grey Wagtail as well. A few other song birds feeding on the insects from the brook.
I heard the Kingfisher in the distance making the two tone call and could see it up the brook.
Last night I heard a Tawny Owl calling out the back of my house, there's a small wooded area that has GSWP and GWP. That's a few times I've heard the Owl now. Great!

Last night I heard a Tawny Owl calling out the back of my house, there's a small wooded area that has GSWP and GWP. That's a few times I've heard the Owl now. Great!

There was a Tawny Owl calling on Heath Road in Bournville about 8pm last Monday, then flew off into Woodlands Park.

I was on a roll with the daily Kingfisher sightings then for a couple days nothing. So it was great this morning to hear the River Rea Kingfisher two tone call from the road. Then river side it flew past calling. Then another went past calling. Great!
Then a Grey Wagtail flew in.
Back on the Bourn Brook there was a Heron with a GWP feeding on the grass nearby.
Then I found the Kingfisher perched over the brook and it flew past calling.
Back home goldfinch and a Chiffchaff calling. Great!

Last Monday and today Kingfisher staying at far end of Mill Shrub,Bittell...Monday it flew length of pool from River area by road.

Back at Brandon Marsh

No kingfisher, but in the hide at dusk this little beauty was foraging for about 20 minutes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 46
Northern Wheatear near bourne brook. From the visitors centre at woodgate valley park. Go down the track were the horses are, the male is in the field to the right.

Northern Wheatear near bourne brook. From the visitors centre at woodgate valley park.
Nice one Ouzel. I shall have a look.
Upper Bourn Brook walkway, two Grey Wagtails then a Kingfisher went past calling.
Stopped and spoke to a man walking his dog who has lived in the area for 71 years! He told me they will start work on the flood relief soon. Watch this space! Lol!
I could then see the Kingfisher on a brook perch and I crept up behind it. It did not see me. It tried out a couple branches. It did a quick dive. Great views!
At Manor Farm park a Heron on the lake, I'd seen another flying over earlier. Then 10 to 20 Kingfisher size fish in Merritt's Brook. I've been waiting for them. Great!

It took some time to find in the early morning rain but I had a good run looking, a Kingfisher and male Bullfinch along the River Rea, Selly Park. Then I had a male Bullfinch in the garden this afternoon. Great!

Dingles/Wonders Walk/River Cole - Early morning I did a couple circuits. I knew it would only be a short time before a Kingfisher went past. First I heard the call. I stopped and waited and then it flew up the river heading towards. Trittiford. Great!

Had just started breaking down the scope on tripod at Lower Bittell - 7 pm.with face almost on hedge when a KING shot up and over the hedge - almost taking my right ear with it....lol...it shot over the road and I rushed across trying to find it.looked on the white posts then scanned along water edge to far end of shrub Mill and saw it taking a bath ( repeated diving like a whirling dervish) just feet from end bushes....then it went into low tree and instantly started fishing....brill end to fab day on the causeway....

Attachments

• Canon 2017 APRIL 2 A 052.JPG
    Canon 2017 APRIL 2 A 052.JPG
    477.9 KB · Views: 40
  • Canon 2017 APRIL 2 A 052 A.jpg
    Canon 2017 APRIL 2 A 052 A.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 34

Users who are viewing this thread

Back