• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

choughs at limit of their range (1 Viewer)

marnixR

WYSIWYG
yesterday i was walking along the South Wales coast near Nash Point when i saw two choughs at the coast where the Nash Brook flows into the Bristol Channel

this is the furthest east i've seen choughs in South Wales, the previous record being in Rhossili in the Gower peninsula

from the BTO maps i gather that Nash Point must be about as far east as choughs have been observed along the South Wales coast - is this assumption correct ?

Attachments

• Img_0064.jpg
    Img_0064.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 81
interesting - i've never seen any at Lavernock Point on the many occasions i've been there
are any parts of the season better for viewing than others ?

I'm rarely at Lavernock so am not sure. For Chough I tend to go to Rhosilli. Often plenty of other interesting stuff to see there as well.

Rich

except that Gower is a bit further away from my home patch
i'll try and keep an eye out next time i'm at Lavernock Point

coming back to choughs, yesterday I was near St.Martins Haven (Pembrokeshire) and saw about 25 choughs frolicking in the sky

is this rather unusual to see this number together ? it almost seemed like an early morning get-together

the strange thing was that I only saw them all together during that 5 to 10 minute spell - after that it was only the usual ones or twos, as if the larger group had dispersed to get on with the business of feeding

coming back to choughs, yesterday I was near St.Martins Haven (Pembrokeshire) and saw about 25 choughs frolicking in the sky

is this rather unusual to see this number together ? it almost seemed like an early morning get-together

Non-breeding choughs usually go round in flocks in areas with a good population of the species. Choughs generally nest from the age of two years, so there will be a section of the population which is one year old, as well as older birds which haven't established a nesting site yet. To make matters more complicated when researching choughs, breeding pairs often join the flocks!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back