• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Sketches/Drawings/Painting (1 Viewer)

Larry Lade

I thought I would initiate a thread here in which I could post some of my artwork efforts. I especially enjoy attempting to portray members of the avian community.

My latest drawing is a female Black-throated Blue Warbler showing the bird being held in my left hand. I worked from a photograph of the bird which was taken by a member of our bird banding team here in Saint Joseph, Missouri.

Photo taken October 2, 2012. Drawing made October 3, 2012.

Attachments

• Drawing BTB2_2.JPG
    Drawing BTB2_2.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 134
Looks good Larry. I did a field sketch of one of these a few weeks ago and had the hardest time remembering just where that little wing patch went after my short 15-second view of it.

Outside of Yellow-rumps Black-throated Blues are probably the most reliable warbler this late in the season in Philadelphia. Is that also true in Missouri? Oh yes there are generally a few Palms to be found as well.

We only rarely (I think twice in my four decades of serious birding) that we have had them in northwest Missouri! They do get the BTBW a little more regularly down around the Saint Louis area. Our most prevalent warblers at this season are the Orange-crowned, Tennessee, Nashville and the Yellow-rumped (Myrtle) Warblers.

* Oh, the above Black-throated Blue Warbler was a 1st of this species for me in Missouri. I had seen one previously at the Edwin B. Forsythe NWR, near Ship Bottom, New Jersey a few years back. It was a stunning male bird! And a "lifer" for me! I did not know at the time that it was one of the more abundant species to be found back there. But, I was certainly thrilled when I saw it!

* Oh, the above Black-throated Blue Warbler was a 1st of this species for me in Missouri. I had seen one previously at the Edwin B. Forsythe NWR, near Ship Bottom, New Jersey a few years back. It was a stunning male bird! And a "lifer" for me! I did not know at the time that it was one of the more abundant species to be found back there. But, I was certainly thrilled when I saw it!

I'm still thrilled when I see the male!! What a bird it is. And congratulations for your first MO sighting.

Oh dear this is where its starts Larry next you will be down your art shop buying paint and brushes. A grand looking warbler drawing i had to google what it looked like in real life, it is a beauty:t:

Not a sketch or drawing, but a "nature crafted" piece of art.

Trammel tool for setting top trammel, bouncing low trammel, etc. on mist nets we set up for our bird banding operation.

The photo is of a "trammel tool" I fashioned from small black walnut tree I found in the mist net lane which had been cleared at our banding station at Missouri Western State University, Saint Joseph, Missouri. I think the "hook" end of the tool looks similar to a snow goose. I did nothing to the original "stick" except sand it smooth and rub with the black substance of black walnut hull.

Attachments

• Trammel tool.JPG
    Trammel tool.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 73
Hello, Larry, and welcome to the Bird Forum from another Missourian. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Hmmm - now why does that sound so familiar???

I'm sure many of us here can relate Larry...definitely happens to me far more often than I'd like...

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back