• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

can you advise me on a DVD please? (2 Viewers)

sooseee

I would love to have a DVD which would help me get to know the songs and calls of smaller birds- warblers, finches,buntings etc-and also help with ID.Would be grateful for ideas. thanks.
Sue.

hi Sue
two suggestions for you try
dvd rom guide All the Birds of Europe or if you are feeling really flush BWPi Birds of the Western Paleartic interactive both available from BirdGuides Dave Goosneys site. The latter has got masses of very high quality video and song split screens for comparison vg stills facility, a great piece of kit.
Every home should have one!!!!!
Regards Jon
PS WEBSITE is www.birdguides.com

Sue

You haven't said whether you want to play this on PC or on a DVD player (or both).

If you only want to play it on a PC then a DVD-ROM such as BWPi is fine, but it won't play on a DVD player. So if you want to play it on a PC and a DVD player you want a DVD-Video and we (Bird Images) produce a range of these - the website is www.birdvideodvd.com.

One of them - British Bird Songs - may well be ideal for your purposes.

If you want an independant summary then BBC Wildlife magazine did a review of CDs and DVDs in the January 2006 issue (we came top!). Back issues can be bought here http://www.bbcwildlifemagazine.com/viewIssue.asp?id=509.

I hope that helps.

PaulD said:
Sue

You haven't said whether you want to play this on PC or on a DVD player (or both).

If you only want to play it on a PC then a DVD-ROM such as BWPi is fine, but it won't play on a DVD player. So if you want to play it on a PC and a DVD player you want a DVD-Video and we (Bird Images) produce a range of these - the website is www.birdvideodvd.com.

One of them - British Bird Songs - may well be ideal for your purposes.

If you want an independant summary then BBC Wildlife magazine did a review of CDs and DVDs in the January 2006 issue (we came top!). Back issues can be bought here http://www.bbcwildlifemagazine.com/viewIssue.asp?id=509.

I hope that helps.

Hi Sue
Another one of Paul's films is The Warblers of Britain and Europe - but obviously deals with just warblers so it might not cover all the spps you want. However the photography is excellent and detailed commentary from Mr. Oddie - I didn't include this choice in my first reply as I wasn't sure this was available on DVD - but if it is then another great choice to consider. I have used this film many times as a 'revision' aid before going abroad and for the Spring and Autumn migration periods in uk just before the LBJ's arrive
Regards Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back