• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

pentax + eagle raven (1 Viewer)

Steve-O

Just a Guy
Hello all! I hope someone can give me some advice.

I purchased an Eagle Optics scope a couple years ago, not the best, but it works. This year I purchased a Pentax *ist DS camera and decided to attach it to the scope. I purchased the proprietary Eagle adapter and the correct t-ring et viola, a 1000mm, f10.2 lens for my new camera! I set it up and took a few pics around the yard, all less than 50 feet, and it worked well - nice clear pics on a cloudy day.

Last week-end I 6took this rig to a park, hoping to get some pics of Great Egrets fishing - the results were less than pleasing. Very hard to see the screen on a nice sunny day, so it wasn't until I returned home that I saw the problems.

There was a violet fringing around the white birds - I knew that this might happen, so I wasn't very surprised - an artifact of the lens.

What was worse was that none of the pics was focused correctly. After a couple shots it seemed that the adapter was too loose and I screwed the tube in until I could snug it tight with the set screw...might I have changed the focal length beyond the ability of the lens to focus? Or, is the lens so poor that it cannot focus clearly at 100 yards?

The shots I took in my yard were very detailed and clear, I expected a little degradation at longer distances, so this trial was a disappointment (especially since I had some great action shots of the Egrets hitting the water!)

I will try backing off the tube of the adapter, but am wondering if there is an easier method of fine tuning the set-up, it seems incredible that the change in distance could make such a difference in quality.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated...

Steve

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back