• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leupold Yosemite 6x30 (1 Viewer)

ScoutMan

Good things have been written about the Yosemite. Since it is a porro style, has anyone had any collimation issues with this product.

Bought a pair for my daughter to use. Had them over a year now and I always end up grabbing them when I want a nice light pair for a long hike. Been dropped a few times and no problems. They are very nice and give a view 5x the price.

Cheers

While they are an inexpensive porro glass, I think that they have been out long enough and have proved popular enough that if any serious trouble would have shown up it would be all over this and other forums. Porros also get a largely undeserved bad rap for being wimpy equipment. No they're not as robust and waterproof as a roof prism, so if you gravitate toward extreme use, I'd maybe stay away. My 6x30 will be around untill one of us dies. I think there are three things going for the Yosemite. First they were designed with kids in mind and thus with the realization they might get knocked around. Secondly the light weight of the glass will mitigate to some degree against bumps, they simply won't hit as hard as a 30 oz glass. Third, I bet there is some flex in the lightweight body and in its construction that will take some shock. Having said that there are bound to be some problems. There can't be a perfect glass for less than a hundred bucks. I think the Yosemite represents the absolute best bang for your binocular dollar available.

Steve,

Can't agree with you more. FrankD, who posts on this forum says his yougster treated them pretty roughly said that he has had to have them collimated a couple of times.

On the other hand Phil Shoemaker, an Alaskan guide (he posts over on 24 hour Campfire) has carried them for two years in Alaska, so they must be pretty rugged.

Also, the word must be out. Have't found them on E-Bay in a couple of weeks.

Both Eagle Optics and Optics Planet has them including shipping for $90.00

Scoutman,

Small world. I used Frank D and Phil Shoemaker's posts ( I hang out around the campfire some). Actually it was Shoemaker's comments about how rugged they were in some pretty tough Alaskan conditions that made me decide to get the Yosemite. Could not find the 8x locally, but the 6x was here for $89. I can really see what Phil meant when he said they were all the binocular he needed since he always had a good spotter. They are good enough I can believe he really did leave his heavy Duovids home. Will get the 8x for kicks in a short while.

Steve

I would still rate them as fairly durable. Yes, my little guy's pair has been out of alignment on one or two occasions but we are talking about a six year old here. He could probably knock a car's front end out of alignment. ;)

I do not think they are any better or any worse than other porros, or roofs, at this price point and would most certainly recommend them based on optical quality.

etc,

I just now noticed your post. The Yosemites seem a little smaller than the Nikon 8x32 and have a smaller IPD adjustment. They are very well balanced and exceedingly easy to hold, even for a larger than averaged sized man with hands that require size large gloves. Keep in mind they were designed for kids.

Great posts!!.

I think Leupold really has something here. They put out a product geared to children or introductory adults. As far as I know, they are the only seller who focused on the child and the smaller IPD of children.

My advise to anyone wanting a "beginning" bin to start with this one. After using it for a while, they can decide on what they really want and turn the yosemite into "backup" bins.

To Leupold, don't change a thing. Keep this price point. If you can keep this price point and make them more durable, then FrankD's only worry will be on the alignment of his car.

Great posts!!.

I think Leupold really has something here. They put out a product geared to children or introductory adults. As far as I know, they are the only seller who focused on the child and the smaller IPD of children.

My advise to anyone wanting a "beginning" bin to start with this one. After using it for a while, they can decide on what they really want and turn the yosemite into "backup" bins.

To Leupold, don't change a thing. Keep this price point. If you can keep this price point and make them more durable, then FrankD's only worry will be on the alignment of his car.

There is more on this amazing model in the Yosemite subforum. I got several for our school after recommendations there. And there have been many positive comments about them among my colleagues at the school. In fact, I was so impressed by the model that I bought one for me, just for kicks too. I usually use my Zeiss FL 8x42, but that 6x30 Yosemite provides a very satisfactory view as well. Just unbelievable, considering the cost.

Hi,

Hi,

Good things have been written about the Yosemite. Since it is a porro style, has anyone had any collimation issues with this product.

Cindy.

...has anyone had any collimation issues with this product.

In the Leupold subforum, you'll find testimonials as to the shock resistance of the Yosemite. This is a cheap bino, so very likely the prisms are epoxied permanently in place and are not adjustable. So long as the glue holds, the binocular should hold its adjustment pretty well. The important thing is that they be properly collimated and aligned to begin with. I bought one that was properly aligned (left/right) but the left side had improper collimation of the elements such that focus of the inside and outside edges of the view was not synchronous. I sent it to Leupold and they immediately replaced it with a new and properly assembled unit.

--AP

Hi, Cindy; welcome to the BirdForum. Last year I took a swan dive onto some sharp rocks with the Yosemites which were round my neck leading the way. Collimation wasn't affected. In fact, after a wipe down with a wet cloth they were as good as new.

Michael

Hi everybody!

My review of the Leupold 6x30 Yosemite is here

As I mention there the Yosemite 6x30 is a very impressing binocular for the price. I even earlier realized that the razor sharp (on-axis) image would compete even some high-end models. The Yosemite 6x30 is really one of the sharpest binoculars I have ever tried.

Last week I purchased the Swarovski SLCnew 7x42 B. Review
Then I really realized how sharp the Yosemite actually is. It,s AT LEAST as sharp as the Swarovski. The Yosemite is worse in every other respect as edge sharpness (the sweet spot is much smaller), inner reflections, reliability and more. But for the price...
The Yosemite 6x30 now serve as a great lightweight binocular (at those moments I don't want to carry the twice heavier Swarovski) and as a guest binocular.
The Yosemite 6x30 was created as a "children-binocular" but is suitable even for adults who want a lightweight companion which provides a razor sharp, contrasty, bright and steady image with a large field of view!

Regards, Patric

Last edited:
How much focus overtravel past infinity does it have?

In other words, can someone with myopia of 6D still use them without eyeglasses?

How much eye relief do they have?

etc,

My myopia makes the Swarovski SLCnew 7x42 barely useful without eyeglasses at long distance. The focus overtravel of the Yosemite 6x30 is much better and more than adequate for my needs. I need eyeglasses at longer distance than ca 20cm.

The eye relief is satisfying and adequate for me to see the entire field of view with eyeglasses. I am quite demanding when it comes to eye relief.

Regards, Patric

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back