• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sketch (2 Viewers)

Beautiful work Jackie! I love the choice of colour and the use of both pencil and paint together on the same page. Very well done! I am sure we will be seeing a lot more in the coming days. Looking forward to it.

Latest Penguin Pic

Here it is, hot off the easel, my latest painting. Sorry to post more penguins, but actually they're the first I've done for a year. Haven't decided on a title yet; any ideas, anyone?

Attachments

• Flappers.JPG
    Flappers.JPG
    274.8 KB · Views: 177
I've not got a name but a lovely picture. It demonstrate their comical gait especially in the beautiful reflexion.

No title suggestion here either, I'm afraid - but I agree it's a beautifully executed painting, full of comical character; lovely piece.

A couple of swells!

Can't help but think of Fred Astaire and all those 'Top hat and tails' type films whenever I see penguins.

Lovely painting with a bucket-load of character.

Mike

gorgeous piece of work, an instant smile, and happy days on the beach - I'm sort of reminded of Mary Poppins' day out in it.

Nothing to do with my art, but just thought I'd highlight an exhibition in the UK (Gloucester, to be precise) of interest to birders. Nature in Art www.nature-in-art.org.uk is showing a selection of work by George Lodge to celebrate the 150th anniversary of his birth. Unsurpassed in portraying raptors, he's probably best known for his plates for Bannerman's "Birds of the British Isles". This is a rare opportunity to see Lodge's originals instead of reproductions. The exhibition's on until 9th May, so don't miss it!

Just checked your stuff out Jackie - the Great Grey Shrike is simply wonderful, and would look very nice on my living room wall! I'll definitely be dropping in at the Birdfair. Keep 'em coming.

Russ

Wonderful Blackcaps, Jackie. Tell me please, what pencil and paper combination are you using for the sketches? As a bit of novice climbing a steep learning curve I have to ask everybody this!

I'm continually inspired by the art work on this site.

Cheers

Russ

What pencil and paper combination are you using for the sketches? As a bit of novice climbing a steep learning curve I have to ask everybody this!

No, you're not a novice - you've posted some lovely sketches on BF.

I almost always use Derwent Graphic 3B or 4B pencil for sketches, though for this particular piece I used a 2B, but only because I picked up the wrong pencil without realising! The paper was Fabriano Artistico Extra White, Cold Pressed surface, though I sometimes use Hot Pressed if I want a really detailed piece. I used watercolour paper as I knew from the outset I wanted to use a mixture of paint and pencil. Had it just been pencil I would have used a fairly smooth cartridge - probably Arboreta as I like the off-white surface that doesn't give off so much glare in bright sunlight.

Hope that helps.

love this sheet Jackie - it seems all the blackcaps have arrived here now, they were singing everywhere today and those big curious eyes peering past that snouty fine bill are as real on this page as they are in the field. Great stuff.

I was about to say that you've gotten some very nice gestures here. But I didn't know what the birds are since they don't look familiar to my American eyes. Now I know what they are. So: nice sense of movement in those black caps!

The new Bird Art and Photography magazine has just dropped through the studio letterbox. What a fabulous publication. Articles on John Busby and John Gale and a terrific "artist's sketchbook" feature from Chris Rose make this an inspiring debut for the magazine. There's a gallery guide, book fests and factual information too - plus some stunning photographic images. Highly recommended! Here's the link:
http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/open/?page=birdartandphotography

love this sheet Jackie - it seems all the blackcaps have arrived here now, they were singing everywhere today and those big curious eyes peering past that snouty fine bill are as real on this page as they are in the field. Great stuff.

Yet to see one here, judging from your thread I reckon France gets the spring migrants about 4 weeks ahead of Sweden, unfair head start in my humble opinion;)
Blackcap page is superb, buzzing with life and suppleness. So very well seen and drawn, thanks for posting...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back