• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minox BV 5x25 Binocular ? (4 Viewers)

gcole

United States
Has anyone here had any experience with this compact Japan sourced 5x power binocular ? It seems they have been discontinued for quite awhile, but I am seeing them on Ebay new for around $200-230. being shipped from outside the USA. I have never handled or used a 5x binocular. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Minox 5x or any other 5x binocular & how they would be using them in a theatre or at a indoor or outdoor sporting event ..... gwen

Has anyone here had any experience with this compact Japan sourced 5x power binocular ? It seems they have been discontinued for quite awhile, but I am seeing them on Ebay new for around $200-230. being shipped from outside the USA. I have never handled or used a 5x binocular. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the Minox 5x or any other 5x binocular & how they would be using them in a theatre or at a indoor or outdoor sporting event ..... gwen

FWIW I use a Nikon 6x15 for theater/opera/concerts and the images have good color and clarity and are reasonably bright. So a 5x30 should get you brighter and slightly smaller image. I've tried the 6x15 at baseball games and it certainly works but my preference there is for a little more magnification.

FWIW I use a Nikon 6x15 for theater/opera/concerts and the images have good color and clarity and are reasonably bright. So a 5x30 should get you brighter and slightly smaller image. I've tried the 6x15 at baseball games and it certainly works but my preference there is for a little more magnification.
I have just purchased the compact Opticron 6x32 Traveller here on the forum for just a few dollars more then the other low compacts I was thinking about, so my search just ended. Thanks for the info & as always I never get tired of reading about other bins I have never used ..... gwen

I have just purchased the compact Opticron 6x32 Traveller here on the forum for just a few dollars more then the other low compacts I was thinking about, so my search just ended. Thanks for the info & as always I never get tired of reading about other bins I have never used ..... gwen

Good choice for compact binoculars. Do you have a link to the 5x25 bins? I'm having trouble finding them.

Last edited:
I guess the Foton is really a pot-luck buy. Ergonomically I'd be looking for the wide view in a sleek Japanese body.

I guess the Foton is really a pot-luck buy. Ergonomically I'd be looking for the wide view in a sleek Japanese body.

Those 5x Fotons always seem to get a lot if interest when one comes up, I am awaiting a Minox 7x28 IF to arrive. Not for birding, I know close focus is no good on these, but I'm hoping ideal for sporting events where I can just set IF and leave it.

I've read good and not so good comments about the Foton 5x25. My experience with other Russian bins is that quality control varies widely and they are somewhat coarse compared to good quality Japanese glasses.

If you find time, Ben, perhaps you could post a comparison with your Minox 6.5x32 IF ? Best wishes

Yep will do, it has to come from Germany (via Cliftons, they had to re-order) so a couple of weeks I guess. Ref the Minox 6.5x32 IF, I have used it a lot actually, I really like it, I took to Stratford Horse races a couple of weeks back and it was a joy to use, set and forget, smashing contrast and depth of field. It persuaded me to go for the 7x28 IF as hopefully similar but much smaller and lighter to go in my pocket.

Last edited:
If you find time, Ben, perhaps you could post a comparison with your Minox 6.5x32 IF ? Best wishes

Hi Samandag, The Minox 7x28 IF compact finally arrived, I have not had time to do an in depth comparison, i'm in the middle of some lengthy, debilitating hospital treatment, but have had a quick look through both in the garden. I quite like it, brighter than the Zeiss 8x20 and the Leica 10x25, personally I prefer it to both, but admit the Leica is certainly sharper. Very good depth of field for a compact, and gives a brighter image than many compacts, optically, I must say I slightly prefer the Minox BD 6.5x32, it has slightly better depth and slightly better clarity. With presumably larger prisms, and 19mm eye relief and a wider FOV, of 420ft@1000yds, this provides more forgiving and relaxed viewing as you would expect from what is a larger binocular, as you can see in the photo. But the BD6.5X is quite heavy, a full size weight at around 21oz, and pretty much a mid size bin. Both are stated waterproof and in terms of brightness, there is not much in it, the compact allows a surprising amount of light, both have a twilight factor of 14. I wanted something to just pop in the pocket when I go horse racing, that I don't need to fiddle and focus, and this should fit the bill. Set the individual eye focus at around 50yds and it is good for anything from around 25yds to infinity The single hinge allows for a nice grip on the barrels, soft covering on the pull out eye cups makes it useable with spectacles, the eye cups click nicely into position, but have only 2 positions, fully in or fully out. 15mm eye relief, 4.41 inch high, weight 12oz. Both are no use to anyone that requires close focus, this is for viewing at around 25yds plus. FOV is pretty good for a compact at 384ft@1000yds. Personally I would say, although I know some don't like it much, that if you want an IF binocular, and are not worried about the size and weight (just on 21oz compared to 12oz) the BD 6.5X32 is the better binocular, even though it is older and can be bought cheaper.

Attachments

• -MINOX-7X-+-MINOX-6.5X.JPG
    -MINOX-7X-+-MINOX-6.5X.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
Bencw,

7x28 indeed is a very attractive configuration. But at the first look at these Minox 7x28 my instant reaction is that the design with the narrow bridge is like a Swarovski EL design without the front bridge. The long leverage towards the objective side should result in that these binoculars are easily forced out of collimation...

Bencw,

7x28 indeed is a very attractive configuration. But at the first look at these Minox 7x28 my instant reaction is that the design with the narrow bridge is like a Swarovski EL design without the front bridge. The long leverage towards the objective side should result in that these binoculars are easily forced out of collimation...

Hi swedpat, the bridge on the 7x28 is very strong, and they are a solid build, they would not be EASILY forced out of collimation, strong deliberate force would be required. Still, for me, although a very decent, well made glass, this binocular falls between two stools, not quite as good as the larger 6.5x32IF and not really a strong competitor against good center focus compacts either.

Hi swedpat, the bridge on the 7x28 is very strong, and they are a solid build, they would not be EASILY forced out of collimation, strong deliberate force would be required. Still, for me, although a very decent, well made glass, this binocular falls between two stools, not quite as good as the larger 6.5x32IF and not really a strong competitor against good center focus compacts either.

Thanks for the information!

Minox BV 8x25?

Anybody tried the Minox BV 8x25?

I ordered one to hopefully replace my Hawke 8x25 PC as the Minox has a 119m fov -compared to the 104m of the Hawke which I find to narrow- and it was fairly cheap which could be a bad sign but it seems to get generally good feedback.

The other option I was looking at was the Vortex Diamondback 8x28 but the lack of close focus put me off some.

Any other suggestions for something reasonably priced in the pocket size if I don't get on with the BV 8x25?

Last edited:
Hi Clive,
I have never looked through the BV 8X25 but considered getting one myself, be interested to know what you think of it.

Unfortunately amazon haven't even dispatched it yet and I ordered it a few days ago. Not like them. Should get it maybe Tue-Wed next week and I'll let you know. I'm not in any rush.

My Hawke Frontier 8x25 PC is unbelievably sharp and the actual field seems to be as wide as my 10x30 M7 at 117m but the Hawke somehow compresses it all into a smaller view and I now find that a bit hard to use after getting the M7. The Hawke can also be very bad for flare but I usually just ignore it. Any M7 glare is nothing by comparison.

If the Minox is better than the Hawke then I will be satisfied. I'll be sending it back tout suite if it isn't.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back