• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Decent 8x32 Roof Prism (1 Viewer)

amred

I came on this site years ago looking for some good binoculars and the info I found here steered me to a few:
Nikon SE 8x32 - (last model using lead in glass) used as main glass to view deer & birds from home.
Celestron Outland LX 8x32 - nice compact glass I keep in car to view grandkids sports games and occasional deer, turkey and hawk we see on our travels.
Celestron Regal LX 10x42 - Used as home backup glass when the Nikon is used by someone else.

We got the Celestron Outland LX 8x32 as they quit making them and found it as a closeout for $40. After we received the Outland LX we liked it so much I searched for another and as of yet have not found another for less than $80. Years later I still have not found another Celestron Outland LX 8x32 and have a poor quality 8x20 in our second car. Now I'm back looking for advice for another roof prizm 8x30.

Welcome to BF ;).

You might indicate a price you are willing to pay here. There are lots of choices, but they range from less than $200 up to $500.

B&H are still closing out the older 8x32 Zeiss Terra for $199 to you door....and you get a nice little key chain flashlight free with it.....

I personally, would tend to avoid Celestron, but you seem somewhat smitten with them.

Is it the price which attracts you to them, or something else?

I personally, would tend to avoid Celestron, but you seem somewhat smitten with them.

Is it the price which attracts you to them, or something else?

Yes Price Kind of, I am happy with the Celestron Outland LX 8x32. Many people have commented how clear it is at football games. I don't know maybe I got a good one. I'm not as happy with the Celestron Regal LX 10x42 which I got while looking for another Outland LX. I want to spend less than $80. This is a Binocular that will spend most of the time under the seat of my car. Probably only used a few times a year. But than again I don't want junk. I already have a junk 10x25 under the seat that I don't even bother grabbing when we take that car to a football game.

The best way to get a reasonably good $80 binocular is to find a store and go through many binoculars until a good one is found.
At this price sample variation is large.

Or at a thrift or pawn shop.

I have found great binoculars for $30, but not often.

Basically, time is exchanged for money savings.

I thought I did less than $80.
OK, I saw that but thought it was in reference to porro prism . My bad. However I would not advise spending any less money that whatever you can find a Sightron Blue Sky for. See Frank D's mega thread here on that binocular.

That is the least $$ I would suggest you pay for a roof prism. You will get your money's worth there.

Amred,

You can't get a half decent 8x32 roof prism for $80.00 but you can get a pretty good 8x42 Porro prism binocular for under $90.00.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunt.../nikon-aculon-binoculars/1656233.uts?slotId=0

If you want a good compact 8x30 Porro prism it will cost about $140.00.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/hunt...d-bx-yosemite-binoculars/2524661.uts?slotId=7

Bob

Hi, Bob:

Before we quantify "half decent," someone is going to have to quantify "decent."

Yes, I welcome our newcomer ... I'm just having a little useful sick humor. :cat:

Bill

How about an 8x28 Vortex Optics Diamondback Roof Prism Binocular for $139.99 at Amazon.com. or $125.00 on Ebay. Rated better than the 8x32 Zeiss Terra in this review. A lot of good feedback on Amazon.com and Vortex has an excellent no-fault warranty so if something happens to them under your car seat they replace them. They also come with a moulded hard case, strap, tethered objective covers and rainguard. Since they are a roof prism they will take more abuse than a porro like the Leupold Yosemite.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/camping-and-hiking/binoculars/vortex-diamondback-8x28
http://www.backcountrychronicles.com/vortex-diamondback-binoculars-review/
https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optic...eywords=vortex+8x28&psc=1&smid=A30DGGRQPDAP9Y
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vortex-Dia...253237479489?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtI9GjB7ros

Attachments

• A1b-G5h1-GL._AC_SY200_.jpg
    A1b-G5h1-GL._AC_SY200_.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
The Leupold Yosemite is the least expensive binocular one can currently purchase that is half-way decent for less than $100 that I know of.

Go to Ebay and search for "Leupold Yosemite." There are some 6X30, 8X30, and 10X30s all less than $90.00. It will be a Leupold BX-1 Yosemite.

It's not a roof but a porro. Nice little binocular. Same one Bob is referring to above.

Wow you guys are all right. I didn't expect this much of a response. This forum is quite helpful and active.
The Vortex is tempting because of it's size. Would probably fit in my jacket pocket. But still more than I wanted to spend. I can see reading this forum can become quite costly. I'll have to take a peek thru a Vortex if I can find one at a B&M.

The best way to get a reasonably good $80 binocular is to find a store and go through many binoculars until a good one is found.
At this price sample variation is large.

Or at a thrift or pawn shop.

I have found great binoculars for $30, but not often.

Basically, time is exchanged for money savings.

Have you had much luck at pawn shops? We are in the area of pawn shops every other week. Maybe I'll check a few out. It's been years since I been in one. I figured most of the decent stuff would be sold on Ebay instead of in the shops.

Since you seemed to like the Outland XL -- if you could use another 8x32 Outland LX, I have one in excellent condition that I could sell at a very low price. PM me if interested.

That being said - you would be better off with a Vortex Raptor, or Kowa YF, or Sightron SII Blue Sky, or even a Zeiss Terra.....

I bought an Outland 8X42 a while back as a gift for someone to stargaze with, it was reported to me that it had a very disappointing view, it was subsequently recycled. Get the Sightron 8X32 for the kind of money you are going to spend, add a bit more $$ for a binocular you will keep.

A.W.

Amred,
In England it is charity shops.
We have about eight nearby.
In many cases the staff don't have a clue.
Many items are priced more than new, but some are 1/50th their real value. Sometimes less.
But one has to know one's binoculars, and how to test optics.
I carried small ball bearings placed across the street to do star tests using the Sun's reflection.

I have found great optics for £10, £15 and £20.
But most of the binoculars in charity shops are faulty.

Boot fairs can be even better.
I have a friend who have paid £4 for a £2,000 camera.
Somebody paid about £5 for a very rare, perhaps £50,000 Nikon half frame camera.

I got a Leitz 7x50 for £5 in a camera fair junk box.
But I have had disappointments also.

One needs lots of spare time, a good eye, and self control to get bargains.

Wow you guys are all right. I didn't expect this much of a response. This forum is quite helpful and active.
The Vortex is tempting because of it's size. Would probably fit in my jacket pocket. But still more than I wanted to spend. I can see reading this forum can become quite costly. I'll have to take a peek thru a Vortex if I can find one at a B&M.
You have to ask yourself how much is the Vortex lifetime no-fault warranty worth to you especially since it sounds like the binocular is going to be a car binocular and exposed to some rough use. Even if you damage it and it is YOUR fault Vortex replaces or repairs it. Is that worth $125.00 to you?

Have you had much luck at pawn shops? We are in the area of pawn shops every other week. Maybe I'll check a few out. It's been years since I been in one. I figured most of the decent stuff would be sold on Ebay instead of in the shops.

I once bought a 1907 Zeiss for $6, sold it within a week for $250 knowing it was going to a collector in Japan for $500.

I also bought a FMTR-SX for ~$100 after showing the proprietor it was severely out of collimation. I could fix it in my sleep but he thought it was useless. Most pawnshops get their pricing off a computer screen. "Collimation" ... what's that? :cat:

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back