• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (2 Viewers)

I was under the impression prices in Norfolk were going down due to the threat of sea level rises. It appears I was wrong!

PS Jyothi, you need to clear some space in your inbox

PaulK said:
Hi Firecrest, the only common bird i'm really missing from my list is Wood Warbler - unfortunately, i think, has been lost as a breeder in Kent. All those scottish species (Caper, Black Grouse, Red Grouse etc) are also missing.

You can get the latter 2 by me, but I've yet to see them.

Very nice, wish I had them near me. Planning a trip to Scotland before I start Uni.

Ornithology at a University in Hull looks pretty good. It runs over 10 weekends a year for 4 years. That means plenty of time birding as well as learning. Don't need any qualifications either - just birding!!

PaulK said:
Very nice, wish I had them near me. Planning a trip to Scotland before I start Uni.

Ornithology at a University in Hull looks pretty good. It runs over 10 weekends a year for 4 years. That means plenty of time birding as well as learning. Don't need any qualifications either - just birding!!

Scotland is well worth it, but let me warn you, once you've been once, you'll be wanting to go again and again, well I do.

wahey, young birders

hey guys (sorry for joining the thread so late lol) I am also young birder but I think I am probably a bit more of a novice than the rest of you.
I have only really been birding for about...6 months I'd say, and i havent really seen anything that rare yet.
I've never been on a twitch but i dont really mind.
Dont do it for the rare birds, i think it's great to just be outside and enjoy all the wildlife etc.

Lizzy

Anthony Britner said:
Scotland is well worth it, but let me warn you, once you've been once, you'll be wanting to go again and again, well I do.

Scotland's ok, really depends on where you go.
recently went to Skye and Rum (the islands) hoping to see golden eagles or white tailed eagles. No Luck.
Have been going to scotland at least 3 times a year for my whole life (relatives) and I have to say I've never seen anything that spectacular.
Although my grandparents did have a golden eagle over the Loch outside their cottage a while back. you never know.

Lizzy

PinkHotel said:
Scotland's ok, really depends on where you go.
recently went to Skye and Rum (the islands) hoping to see golden eagles or white tailed eagles. No Luck.
Have been going to scotland at least 3 times a year for my whole life (relatives) and I have to say I've never seen anything that spectacular.
Although my grandparents did have a golden eagle over the Loch outside their cottage a while back. you never know.

Lizzy

Thats what a lot of birding is about, luck. Everywhere has places that are rubbish for wildlife, (even wales ;) )

Anthony Britner said:
Thats what a lot of birding is about, luck. Everywhere has places that are rubbish for wildlife, (even wales ;) )

I'd like to go to wales, I've never actually been.
my mum and brother went without me (i was on hol with a mate) and they had a great time.
Any good birds to see in Wales?

Lizzy

PinkHotel said:
I'd like to go to wales, I've never actually been.
my mum and brother went without me (i was on hol with a mate) and they had a great time.
Any good birds to see in Wales?

Lizzy

We'll theres loads of gullimots razorbills, puffins, and even a small number of black guillemots on anglesey.

Theres been a number of rarities, the most notable recently where the Green heron of november 05 and the stilt sandpiper of july 06.

theres a regular black scoter that winters with the common scoters, and a surf scoter used to, and may still be found along the north wales coast.

And of course, theres the red kites and osprey pair.

Anthony Britner said:
We'll theres loads of gullimots razorbills, puffins, and even a small number of black guillemots on anglesey.

Theres been a number of rarities, the most notable recently where the Green heron of november 05 and the stilt sandpiper of july 06.

theres a regular black scoter that winters with the common scoters, and a surf scoter used to, and may still be found along the north wales coast.

And of course, theres the red kites and osprey pair.

I just love ospreys-they're great!
I live near rutland water, and theres quite a few there fishing on the water. although i dont really think they count, they're introduced birds from scotland.
wow, green heron. I'm such a novice i didnt even know there was such a thing :'D

Lizzy

PinkHotel said:
I just love ospreys-they're great!
I live near rutland water, and theres quite a few there fishing on the water. although i dont really think they count, they're introduced birds from scotland.
wow, green heron. I'm such a novice i didnt even know there was such a thing :'D

Lizzy

If you mean, are the ospreys at rutland 'tickable' then yes, they are. But they don't really have the same appeal, as the welsh and scottish birds which started breeding on their own accord.

I've only been birding for just over a year so still have a lot to learn, the good thing is there are lots of friendly, and experienced birders in north wales, who can help me out, and there must be a few by both your home and your relitives in scotland.

Anthony Britner said:
If you mean, are the ospreys at rutland 'tickable' then yes, they are. But they don't really have the same appeal, as the welsh and scottish birds which started breeding on their own accord.

I've only been birding for just over a year so still have a lot to learn, the good thing is there are lots of friendly, and experienced birders in north wales, who can help me out, and there must be a few by both your home and your relitives in scotland.

yeah there have been some real friendly birders around, especially as we belong to the local bird group, and they're all quite sociable. haven't really met many young birders though, the youngest is probably will and he's 19.
I haven't even been birding for a whole year yet so I have plenty of time to improve.

its me again black necked grebe at my local spot ps go on to chat

:storm: :D

lammy

add me to your buddie list not ignore

Welcome to BF Lizzy and lammy. Quite suprising that The Barn Owl (Sam) hasn't posted for a while, he's always trying to keep this thread 'alive', and when he's back online, I'm sure he'll give you a very warm welcome (lots of 'wow, you saw a...', 'golly, nice one' etc etc.) Charming! ;)
btw, how old are you both?

Yep, welcome to both of you!

I've already been talking to Lammy, but something seems to have gone wrong with my PMs, but all is sorted now, so I'll send you a PM sometime later Lizzie

Later because I'm off to see a Wryneck!

Sam

PS Jyothi, I think you might have made more posts on this thread than me!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back