• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (2 Viewers)

It's already starting to snow here!

I had to walk to the library to get a bird book and post here in the cold, and my house is pretty far away....^^

*Edit* This is wierd... I can't edit my post on my Canon EOS 400D camera thread... :/

Last edited:
Wow! Snow already! What sort of temperature is it? It's still getting up to 15C most days where I live, although that is exceptional for the time of year

As for editing posts, you can now no longer edit posts that you did more than 24 hrs away - can't remember the reason(s)

Well, it's actually Brandon Marsh, but yeah, still...

Pileated Woodpeckers look great on the pictures I've seen (thanks to the wonderful Google) - I'm envious!

lol, Yeah, I was just walking through the woods, heard knocking, looked over, and there was this beautiful Pileated Woodpecker-Not even 10 feet from where I was!^^ So I just froze and marveled at this awesome bird.

Didn't they take google image search down? o_O

Blue_Jay said:
It's already starting to snow here!

I had to walk to the library to get a bird book and post here in the cold, and my house is pretty far away....^^

*Edit* This is wierd... I can't edit my post on my Canon EOS 400D camera thread... :/
There is some 24 hour limit to edit.

Happy winter birding in Ohio.

I saw else 3 sorts last time:
- Parus ater
- Aegithalos caudatus
- Carduelis flavirostris

So I have 101 kinds on the life list |=)|

I hope I'll see dozen sorts this year |;|

Hey Sam, I'm on 171 for 2006, level with you. 3 lifers and a year tick at Flamborough, lifers were (all self-found) Purple Sand, Sooty Shear and Pinkfoot. Year tick was Twite. Life 284, Britain 179. Still got Slimbridge to go!

Sooty Shearwater - very jelous Firecrest. I've missed so many on sea watches including one I just couldn't get on to!!

My '06 list is now 202 after seeing Penduline Tit yesterday. Thats my 5th lifer this month all in Kent!

Firecrest, Where have you been abroad to have 105 non-british birds on your life list?

Dang! I thought I was going on a birdwalk today, but no can do. Oh well, I reached my goal for the year, to surpass 250 types, and I now have 266.

The Firecrest said:
Hey Sam, I'm on 171 for 2006, level with you. 3 lifers and a year tick at Flamborough, lifers were (all self-found) Purple Sand, Sooty Shear and Pinkfoot. Year tick was Twite. Life 284, Britain 179. Still got Slimbridge to go!
I'm on 175 for 2006 after Gib Point today - 4 ahead of you
And 196 BOU Brit List, with one lifer today

Lifer - Short-eared Owl, quartering the marsh, and what a stunner. Made my day!

Year ticks - Brent Geese, Pinkfeet and Goosander - saw Goosander earlier in the year several times, but didn't make it on the list for some reason

Also - 3 Red-throated Divers, 4 Black-tailed Godwits, 2 Sanderling, far too many Curlew, a female Merlin a few feet away and at eye level, and that was about it

Good day, but a total of 6 hours in a coach with a dodgy seat wasn't amazingly fun!

Cya,

Sam

btw everyone, me and Jyothi enjoy a little friendly competition

oh, and PPS - still got some place in Wales I dare not try and spell, and probably Rutland as well this year

Menzie wrote
"Although if you want a proper education..... ;)"

harsh Stephen! Although www.urbandictionary.com carries the achronym UEA as University of Easy Access. In it's defence norwich got voted best city to go to uni in a recent poll (no I didn't just ask 3 pissed students) and I turned down Durham to go there....

Menzie wrote
"My geography is a bit rusty, but I could have sworn last time I looked on a map I lived closer to half of those birds being in Liverpool than someone in Norwich! I can see the advantage of being there for the Little Swift; the Desert Wheatear; the Wr Sand maybe. The LT Skua is pushing it a bit.. But the rest! You might as well go to Coventry Uni - at least it's central. Hehehe. :D"

Fair point I guess, you can go twitching from anywhere, I was just trying to show that there are some active twitchers / birders to get in with. Actually this year East Anglia has been rubbish.... may have been better wandering round random gardens in the West Mids!
Might post one of these i've been birding x years and seen y birds in a while, but since most of you know who I am it'll just bore you all, so I'll leave it for the time being

Apologies for not being able to get proper quotes to work

Last edited:
The Barn Owl said:
I'm on 175 for 2006 after Gib Point today - 4 ahead of you
And 196 BOU Brit List, with one lifer today

Lifer - Short-eared Owl, quartering the marsh, and what a stunner. Made my day!

Year ticks - Brent Geese, Pinkfeet and Goosander - saw Goosander earlier in the year several times, but didn't make it on the list for some reason

Also - 3 Red-throated Divers, 4 Black-tailed Godwits, 2 Sanderling, far too many Curlew, a female Merlin a few feet away and at eye level, and that was about it

Good day, but a total of 6 hours in a coach with a dodgy seat wasn't amazingly fun!

Cya,

Sam

btw everyone, me and Jyothi enjoy a little friendly competition

oh, and PPS - still got some place in Wales I dare not try and spell, and probably Rutland as well this year
Dang! Oh well, Slimbridge, and loads of different Devon sites... might still have a chance!

Simon M said:
Actually this year East Anglia has been rubbish.... may have been better wandering round random gardens in the West Mids!

:clap: yup, its been absolutely bloody dire most of the time. Mind you, the majority of the British Isles has been.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back