• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (2 Viewers)

The Barn Owl said:
Yep, it is...

But, if we're being brutally and horribly honest: who cares!?

Realistically you're not gonna get sued!
No one cares, but I don't find asking for permission difficult. I am almost 100% sure, that everyone would agree.

Wiktoria said:
Hubert is real twicher now |;|

I saw today from more interesting (for me):
- Common Goldeneye (3) *
- Eurasian Wigeon (7) *
- Green-winged Teal (12)
- Little Grebe (2)
- Black-throated Diver *
- Larus michahellis (2)
- Larus cachinnans (16)
- Common Buzzard (2)
- Long-eared Owl (16)
- Winter Wren (2) *
- Long-tailed Tit (dozen)
- Common Treecreeper
- Short-toed Treecreeper *
- tits (blue, great, coal, willow) and Godsrests

* new kinds for me

http://forum.przyroda.org/files/thumbs/t_t_138_618_632.jpg
Hey, Wiktoria, that is awesome! :clap::clap::clap:

The Barn Owl said:
I know, but now I have one with no strings attached, off a free avatar site. My favorite bird, tied with snowy owl, the BALD EAGLE!!!! Enjoy (my) pictures of these amazing birds!!!! So amazingly majestic and powerful, and not afraid to come close or gather in large groups. I saw more at Nova Scotia's Bird Islands in a couple of hours then I had ever seen prior (between 40 and 50 birds)

Attachments

• P1010013 (2)[1].jpg
    P1010013 (2)[1].jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 181
  • eagle 2 (2)[1].jpg
    eagle 2 (2)[1].jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 207
OwlTalon said:
My favorite bird, tied with snowy owl, the BALD EAGLE!!!! Enjoy (my) pictures of these amazing birds!!!!

I personally like this picture I took of a Bald Eagle in NC- http://www.swnaturephotography.com/gallery/2124727/1/93032306

Also, last night I went to the Nuttall Ornithological Club at Harvard University (as a guest). It is an exclusive club with only the best ornithologists around. Sibley is a member. The cool thing was I actually went with Wayne Petersen. He is an author in The Sibley Guide to Bird Life and Behavior. He also compiled the Massachusetts ranges for Sibley field guides. They are very good friends. Even cooler, Wayne drove me home and signed my guide to bird life and bevahior. :bounce:

Last edited:
Amazing pictures. :clap:
To compared, I saw the immature white-tailed eagle on Saturday.

My mate's pict.
(it is not as good as yours, but i was taken by camera+scope without any connection)

bielikst9.jpg

Last edited:
Some of you seem to be really into owls...I've never seen one yet in the wild. Am I doing something wrong or do you just have to be really lucky to seem them during the day?

Sir William said:
Some of you seem to be really into owls...I've never seen one yet in the wild. Am I doing something wrong or do you just have to be really lucky to seem them during the day?
Observing owls during days are much more rarer than during nights, but it is no impossible. There is few owl's species, witch are active mainly during day.

Right, like if you're going to see a Snowy Owl, daytime is usually a safe bet to see them. They're usually active then. Other owls that are often seen feeding during the day are the Northern Hawk Owl, the Short-eared owl, Burrowing Owls, and pygmy-owls.

That's a bird I would like to see. I saw two Sapsuckers down the block from my house two days ago, not rare, but certainly not common! I've also been seeing a Merlin still hanging around, probably going to stay the winter, as they occasionally do. My family also saw a Turkey vulture the other day when I was out (they know birds [they picked some up from me], 'specially dad and younger brother), and that shouldn't be on Long Island. hmmm....

Hi all,

I’ve known about BF for a long time but just now got around to joining. I’m 16 and live in the U.S. I’ve been birding seriously for 4-5 years now and my lifelist stands at 425 (all from the U.S.) I'll be birding Florida, New Jersey, Arizona, Northern Michigan, and possible Texas and California next year so that'll fill in some gaps in my list.

It’s great to see so many young birders from all over!

Good birding,
Ethan

AmpelisChinito said:
Hi all,
Semi-long time birdforumer, first time poster on this thread. I'm 17 and live in Boston, MA. I am also a bird photographer, my website is in my signature. My life list is at 209, with six lifebirds today! I got lucky. The six were Hooded Merganser, Greater Scaup, Lesser Scaup, Ring-necked Duck, Canvasback, and American Coot. I'm applying to Cornell and Ohio Wesleyan University to study ornithology. BTW, I was Cornell's featured photographer of the month for October, in case anyone goes on their website. You can see it here- http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/bp/wilalbum/index_html

So that was you? Brilliant. My copy of birdscope has been passed around the family a bit and you gain a lot of compliments (and my envy of course ;) ) Good luck with college. had I found my passion at a younger age I would have done the same

New to BF

Hi everyone,

I also just joined BF. I'm 16 and have been birding seriously for 5 years. I live in Cleveland Ohio. I spend most of my time birding around the city. Living on Lake Erie has been great because of how different the birding is from the rest of Ohio. This fall alone I have seen Pomarine and Parasitic Jaegers, Black,Surf, and White-winged Scoter, 7 species of gull, Red Throated Loon, and Red-necked Grebe, all nearly 500 miles away from an ocean. I also volunteer in the Entomology and Ornithology Departments of the Cleveland Museum of Natural History. Anyway, its nice to meet some other Young Birders.

Phil

Last edited:
BiggSkua said:
Hi everyone,

I also just joined BF. I'm 16 and have been birding seriously for 5 years. I live in Cleveland Ohio. I spend most of my time birding around the city. Living on Lake Erie has been great because of how different the birding is from the rest of Ohio. This fall alone I have seen Pomarine and Parasitic Jaegers, Black,Surf, and White-winged Scoter, 7 species of gull, Red Throated Loon, and Red-necked Grebe, all nearly 500 miles away from an ocean. I also volunteer in the Entomology and Ornithology Departments of the Cleveland Museum of Natural History. Anyway, its nice to meet some other Young Birders.

Phil

Hello and welcome to the forum! Make yourself at home! If you have any questions, feel free to ask anyone, including myself.
Bob​

Originally Posted by The Firecrest Yo mean you're using copyrighted photos for your avatar? Isn't that illegal?
The Barn Owl said:
Yep, it is...

But, if we're being brutally and horribly honest: who cares!?

You might not get sued, but BirdForum could. In case you missed it when you joined BF, the member guidelines (in the "Members Notice Board") say:

"Please do not post material that is protected by copyright, unless you are the copyright holder or have the author's permission."

Here's a thread that some of you have already seen, but it's got links to other websites that offer free avatars. As you'll see, if you ask any of the BirdForum members to use their photos (e.g., from the Gallery), they'll more than likely say it's okay. But you do have to ask. :t:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=72962&highlight=avatars

Last edited:
tizziec said:
So that was you? Brilliant. My copy of birdscope has been passed around the family a bit and you gain a lot of compliments (and my envy of course ;) ) Good luck with college. had I found my passion at a younger age I would have done the same

WOW! That's sooooo cool! You actually knew who I was! That's only happened happened a few other times. I wonder how many others in this country have heard of me? I might be famous? Haha, not really though.

Hey,

Just wondering how many people on here from the US,Canada, Mexico or the Carribean use eBird. If you don't - you should. It seems like a hassle at first but I think it is really worth while. www.eBird.org

Oh and there were some Pine Siskins flying over my house today.

Good Birding-

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back