• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (6 Viewers)

And no further forward. I've had an email from a keen gull watcher who is reluctant to provide an opinion on the Upton bird but reckons that at least two of these are not Yellow-legged Gulls!

There you go you see, ask 10 birders for their views on an individual gull and you'll probably get at least 10 different opinions.

Brian

Seems like we may be a few steps closer to a firm ID

See some replies to this thread http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=224931

I really like birds like this because you end up learning a lot more on gull identification especially in plumages that we don't necessarily see a lot like 2w.

Hopefully if the large gulls keep dropping into the Moors then you guys might stand a chance at Iceland Gull with the amount that are in the country of late! Got a minimum of 11 in York at the moment!

No LRP's reported yet at Upton?

Gert, who's still left with a chance of scooping the beer? - Sy, me, Andy P, Phil, Cooky and Jim are the ones I can remember.
Now then mate here's whose left - Gavo, John, Mike, me and Trevor now out of the game.

Not many LRP arrived anywhere yet as far as I can tell. South westerlies needed - could be a few days yet..:t:

14th - Simon (Sy V)
15th - Dave (Woodchat)
16th - Andy (Spoonbill Finder)
17th - Phil Andrews
19th - Chris (Cooky1)
20th - Jim (HenHarrier)

Now then mate here's whose left - Gavo, John, Mike, me and Trevor now out of the game.

Not many LRP arrived anywhere yet as far as I can tell. South westerlies needed - could be a few days yet..:t:

14th - Simon (Sy V)
15th - Dave (Woodchat)
17th - Phil Andrews
19th - Chris (Cooky1)
20th - Jim (HenHarrier)

Can I squeeze in for the 18th please? Be a shame for the beer to go to waste!

Tuesday work party at Amy's marsh 13th March 2012

Today 12 of us continued the island clearing and much more.
1. The grassy bank below the east hide was strimmed
2. The bramble hedge to the south of the hide was thinned out to encourage
thicker growth.
3. The bramble patch and course grassy area to the right of the hide was
thinned out to allow the area to become wetter.
4. The east island was strimmed for the breeding waders
5. The brash pile by the lagoon promontory was removed to the southern border.
6. The broadmeadow pool east bank peninsula was strimmed.
7. Along the salwarp track towards the Swan Inn where we coppiced some
willows in October, today we planted nearly 50 thorn bushes mostly
hawthorn, with a few blackthorn.

Photos
1. To the right of the east hide
2. bank in front of east hide
3. East island
4. To south of east hide
5. planted up area

Attachments

• 1.to the right of the east hide(2).jpg
    1.to the right of the east hide(2).jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 2.cut bank in front of East Hide(2).jpg
    2.cut bank in front of East Hide(2).jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 3.East Island afta work (2).jpg
    3.East Island afta work (2).jpg
    118 KB · Views: 69
  • 4.to south of east hide (2).jpg
    4.to south of east hide (2).jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 61
  • 5.planted up thorns (2).jpg
    5.planted up thorns (2).jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 78
Birding at the Moors today

Spent a good time after the work party around the Moors. A cool cloudy miserable day (weather wise) with a NW breeze was not the conditions to expect any migration but a couple of species did appear.
My first 2 migrants were a Sand martin and a singing chiffchaff.
Even on the work party plenty of birds were about with snipe, avocet and oystercatchers flying about.
A large flock of passerines fed in the field behind the east hide, they later spread over and around the seasonal pool. They included 60 each of redwing and fieldfare, several blackbird, singles of mistle and song thrush, 25 goldfinch and 20 starlings. The BHG colony had decreased to about 80 birds by 5pm
Species counts at the MOORS
GCG 5, Little grebe 3 poss 4, cormorant 8, mute swan pr, shoveler 20 (12 males), Teal 2, shelduck pr, gadwall 6 (3prs), Pochard 4 (2 males), Tufted 45,
Oystercatcher 5, Avocet 3, snipe 10, lapwing 1, curlew 2, water rail singing in the car park reed bed,
A pair of stock dove displayed in a nearby oak tree. A green woodpecker fed on the freshly cut grass below the east hide.

Last edited:
Birding at the Flashes

The BHG roost had dropped a little but it is still worrying that there are so many birds around at this time of year - as the non-breeders spend much of the time harrassing breeding waders.
Apart from the displaying Lapwing there was no other breeding activity, until 2prs of Oystercatchers squared up to each in a noisy territorial dispute. The 4 Avocet were asleep all the time I was there. A single redshank noisily flew around between feeding bouts. 9 snipe roosted in the wet grass around the 2nd Flash. Only 14 curlew roosted amongst the 850 BHG's and a single adult herring.
Also present were 12 Teal and a pair of gadwall.
300 starling roosted in the pines below the SE farm house and a 100 winter flushes moved north just before dark.
B :)John

The Gull ID has been interesting - i had them both down as LBB's probably more by luck than judgement but that was an initial 'gut' judgement. Also peoples own eyes perceive colour tones differently, a friend of mine can see in colour but cannot distinguish any tones whatsoever, fortunately he is not a birder otherwise mantle and leg colour on Gulls would have had him ringing The Samaritans every 5 mins. Also peoples' digital cameras, Pc's and printers will render birds differently - all important to bear in mind. Frustratingly i seem to spend very little time actually studying the thousands of Yellow Legged Gulls i see in Morocco!

Must try harder........

Laurie -

Sorry Sy, it's 18.06 and still no LRP. Over to you Woodchat.

Des.

Will the ides of March be the winner - et tu Brute 'n all that8-P

Revised remaining list with late entry by Tim 'gull man' Jones

15th - Dave (Woodchat)
17th - Phil Andrews
19th - Chris (Cooky1)
18th - TimmyJones
20th - Jim (HenHarrier)

... fünfzehntes, sechzehntes, siebzehntes, neunzehntes, achtzehntes, zwanzigstes! Where did you learn to count? ;)

Last edited:
Today's highlights which include no Avocets.

MOORS:

Sand Martin-----------------Shelduck (2)
Shoveler (16)---------------Tufted Duck (47)
Pochard (4)-----------------Gadwall (pr)
Snipe (4)------------------- Teal (4)
Oystercatcher (4)-----------Little Grebe (2)
G C Grebe (3)---------------Sparrowhawk (f)
Herring Gull (3)-------------L B B Gull (2)
Common Gull (1W)---------Fieldfare (35)
Redwing (5)-----------------Lesser Redpoll singing

FLASHES:

Oystercatcher (2)*----------Green Sand (2) late.
Lapwing (11)----------------Curlew (16)
Siskin------------------------Chiffchaff singing
Goldcrest--------------------Common Gull (1W) as above.

* Min of 6 possibily 7 across the reserve.

SAILING POOL:

G C Grebe (8)---------------Little Grebe reported.

Des.

Education reed bed

We have got the OK from John H at the sailing centre and Andy H at the Trust, to try and rejuvenate the 'top' reed bed in the Education reserve.
I haven't thought of a date yet, but we might be able to do it on our Tuesday work party a long as we achieve all our 'goals' first.
In its present state it will be useless for reed warblers and water rail. If we could do it before mid early April they might have a chance of using it.
Des have you got the photos of the site.

We have got the OK from John H at the sailing centre and Andy H at the Trust, to try and rejuvenate the 'top' reed bed in the Education reserve.
I haven't thought of a date yet, but we might be able to do it on our Tuesday work party a long as we achieve all our 'goals' first.
In its present state it will be useless for reed warblers and water rail. If we could do it before mid early April they might have a chance of using it.
Des have you got the photos of the site.

I've got the images John, but I may have to do something about the file size.

Des.

Here are a couple of shots ( courtesy of Des UW82) of the Education reed bed. Nothing a strimmer a few rakes and a few willing souls couldn't solve.

Attachments

• forum reeds best (2).jpg
    forum reeds best (2).jpg
    354.9 KB · Views: 73
  • reeds er res (2).jpg
    reeds er res (2).jpg
    374 KB · Views: 65

Users who are viewing this thread

Back