• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Flash Bird Paintings for All (1 Viewer)

Brilliant!

I used the cooker timer, it's in the kitchen (obviously) so I have to stop and walk in there to stop it!

Mike

Heres another done today. This was done from sketches I did of Swifts that were hawking insects above the House and Garden. Summer is truely here with these fantastic little birds

Attachments

• 15-min-Swifts003.jpg
    15-min-Swifts003.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 75
Andy, you're just the king of flash! ( not the same as a flasher:-O) the curlew is off the charts, and I haven't managed a swift more than a scribble yet.

I won't say what I said when I saw your most recent offering Andrew!! In 15-minutes, you've just created a full-blown piece of wildlife art that would make any bird artist in the world jealous out of their mind!!:eek!:

This flashy painting lark...['lark' meant as 'in fooling around'...not the songster bird];)...is all brill let me say...and i'm enjoying viewing the scenery...especially the associated comments from all admirers:t:

There..that about covers it...as i don't really have to say owt about the quality of the 'flashy swift' painting of Andrews...speaks for itself don't it..?;)

ta ta................................

The Swifts was the easier of the two though cos their shape is so simple really. I'm sure most people would be able to do the swift justice once you get your eye in on them. The Curlew is a bit more difficult with the mottled barring on the upper parts . However I really appreciate your praise and comments. Please lets see some more!!

I really struggle with the stopping doing any more after the bell has wrung but I am enjoying the exercise thoroughly.

welcome into Flash World, you did a great job on that bill in 15 min. were you able to give up pre drawing and just use the brush directly? it has a lot of character.

Colleen, it's pretty small and pretty much 3 colours so not quite as hard as I feared! Stiffish brush with dryish watercolour used almost like a pencil, mind you still wanted to tamper with it after the time was up..

Mark, yeah that view stuck with me but no time for the grains of sand being blown at it by the wind!

Mr Ellis jeez that's good!

Cheers,
Andrew

here's my contribution - I think it took 16 minutes actually, but it's very difficult to paint and keep looking at your watch.

Attachments

• DSCF6048.JPG
    DSCF6048.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 64
Here's My effort for today on the 15 min Challenge. Done from sketched pieces done in the Autumn of last year.

Attachments

• _15-Min-Stone-Chat001web.jpg
    _15-Min-Stone-Chat001web.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 74
what! what! what! what! what! what!:eek!::eek!::eek!::eek!:

now I've been impreseed with some of these 15-minute sketches, and fallen in love with many of them, but this is just taking the biscuit Andrew. That is better than just about any piece of art I have ever seen, be they painted in 15 minutes or 15 millennia!

Thanks Nick , Liam, Stonies are one of my favorites ,such character in their conspicuous flitting from high perch to high perch , Cracking little things!!

Liam, Don't let me near biscuits Liam !! My wife will tell you!! All gone with one Cuppa:-O

Here's My effort for today on the 15 min Challenge. Done from sketched pieces done in the Autumn of last year.

I'm beginning to think along the lines of 'men in black' now, I'm mean, how many arms have you got ;)

Another wonderful piece, currently shocked at your speed and workrate, I've got to sit down....perhaps in the pub!

Nick, love how the heron and the environment are literally one on this.

Andrew, not only do you get the bird to perfection, but all the bg too, and such a great range of value, that really make these pieces pop. outrageous!

Nick, love how the heron and the environment are literally one on this.

Andrew, not only do you get the bird to perfection, but all the bg too, and such a great range of value, that really make these pieces pop. outrageous!

I think this says it all, especially the great value range.

I suppose this is somewhat like coming on stage after the Rolling Stones have just finished up. But I've never been one to be inhibited.

For me part of the pleasure of the 15-minute painting is to try out paintings, to get some idea if they'd work, or maybe not work, as more finished works. So they're learning experiences. What I learned today is that I'd probably be best to think more about values when I do paintings like this.

The first is of an immature Bald Eagle. The second, of two Black-crowned Night Herons in trees, and one Canada Goose in the water, actually ran over, mainly because I saw how I needed to do something with the tall reeds. I wanted to keep them their light color but they just didn't work that way. So a couple last second washes there put me over the 15 minute limit.

In the heron painting I was really trying to see if I could make a painting of them with them being so small. I still think it's possible but I'm going to need to do some more experimenting.

Attachments

• immatureBaldEagle061010.jpg
    immatureBaldEagle061010.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 47
  • bcNightNerons061010.jpg
    bcNightNerons061010.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 56
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back