• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Patch wars! (1 Viewer)

Hotspur

James Spencer
United Kingdom
Im thinking about measuring relative patch productivity in various places and ive come up with a plan! B :)

If a few people (as many as possible) send me their patch area e.g. 2 sq miles or something like, i am gonna analyse scientifically their patch productivity by (and this is the clever bit) using numbers count and number of species to give a "score" to their patch. Then using a big ol' map plot their position and see if the diversity and numbers correlate to supposed trends. This is if anyone can be bothered. Just something im interested in. Actually no im just a saddo. :news:

James

interesting......and sad of course.

I reckon Waxham would be in with a shot - quite small and with an impressive list of rare birds. Plus it has lots of farmland birds, passage migrants, seabirds, waders, raptors, geese etc. Thinkingabout it, it must be one of the top sites in the country.....don't all come at once.

What a spot! I love it there.....

Thanks for that tim :D. Spent too much time in my A'levels doing ecology and the like. Anyone that wants to volunteer feel free. I will do all the hard work (yeah wotever) with the birds. Cheers

Is this birds seen over a set time span, or all birds seen ever? Just thinking that if Jane sends her list in and someone else a list for a patch they've only been working for a couple of months, there ain't gonna be much contest!

I was thinking of doing it over a years timespan in real time rather than just a historical record because previously productive places 10/15 years ago may have gone down hill and not produce the same diversity and numbers.

What do you want us to do,Jason,send in a list of birds seen in a local area.Our area here covers a wide diverdity of birds,both waders,migrants and birds from the shrublands.

Well, from say the 1st Oct, if you could forward the birds seen on your patch (species, numbers if possible). Also a brief description of your patch, its whereabouts and also its area (preferably in metric, sorry but it makes all the ,maths a little bit easier). Then i will play with the numbers. Hopefully then i will be able to play with the numbers to look at species diversity and also number of birds the patch holds per sq.km. Its not major league scientific but i am just interested in different trends and productivity of different types of environment. Cheers James

I've tried something similar with four tetrads in Surrey. Compiling the data wasn't too hard... but deciding whether the results were statistically significant or not has, so far, proved beyond me!
Ken

Not really trying to prove anything. If i were doing that i would use my old a level coursework on succesion but i cant find it, so i wont. Just curious. :D

Sorry,James,I think I wil pass on this one.I do not know how much is a square metre,and to be able to count the number of Redshanks for instance would be impossible.Ie for an accurate count.But is sounds a great idea,and I do hope you receive lots of support.

Hotspur said:
Well, from say the 1st Oct, if you could forward the birds seen on your patch (species, numbers if possible). Also a brief description of your patch, its whereabouts and also its area (preferably in metric, sorry but it makes all the ,maths a little bit easier). Then i will play with the numbers. Hopefully then i will be able to play with the numbers to look at species diversity and also number of birds the patch holds per sq.km. Its not major league scientific but i am just interested in different trends and productivity of different types of environment. Cheers James

I'll give it a go if you like. I go down to my local patch once a week, is that often enough? Where do we post our weekly results? Also, can I use birds i miss from the log book. E.g. if it says something like "12 black-tailed godwits stopped briefly on scrape at 8.15" and I turn up at 10.00 can I still send them in?

Last edited:
Cheers Tim, only birds you see and the amount of time you were out, s'il vous plait. Any one the wants to take part either post the results on here or pm me with them. Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back