• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with Celestron Regal M2 100ED + Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX80/GX85 (1 Viewer)

strobo

Hello! Sorry for being a total beginner without the knowledge how to set up a functional digiscoping rig. Hoping someone on this forum can explain to me how it works!

I got
Telescope: Celestron Regal M2 100ED
Camera: Panasonic GX85/GX80
Eyepiece: Original Celestron 22-67x Zoom Eyepiece
Adapters: Lots of adapters like Celestron T-adapter 1 1/4, 2x barlow lens adapter, several filter and conversion rings etc....

From the equipment I have I managed to "build" the rig in several versions, where only the option #1 somewhat works (but with really bad picture quality). While option #2 does not work as it gives only blurry picture even if I try to focus the scope :(

#1. (works somewhat)
Scope + Original 22-67mm eyepiece + conversion ring + T2 M4/3 adapter + Camera
https://cdn-07.minfil.org/46V2vbb9b4/cb9363a8-1487868430/IMG_6176.JPG

#2. (does not work - just blurry)
Scope + Celestron 1 1/4 T-adapter + T2 M4/3 adapter + Camera
https://cdn-01.minfil.org/6bVdv3b2ba/227b7693-1487868384/IMG_6175.JPG

Questions:
What is the setup I should do to be able to digiscope with my GX80 on this Celestron telescope?
Are there any settings I have to set on my camera to make it work?

Please help! :)

The option on page 8 of that Celestron manual will probably give you the best results, as in keep the lens on the camera and photograph through the eyepiece. Eyepiece projection as in your option #1 will nearly always give poor photos. Option #2 wont work.

Paul.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back