• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Goldfinch. (1 Viewer)

Ptarmi

Dick Glasgow
I noticed that this Goldfinch, in my Co. Antrim garden this morning, clearly had a yellow ring on his right leg.

Can the layman learn anything from the colour?

Is it always the right leg ringers use?

When we spot a bird like this, that is clearly ringed, is there anywhere we should record this information?

Cheers,
Dick

Attachments

• goldie.jpg
    goldie.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 210
There doesn't appear to be metal ring on either leg suggesting this is a Goldfinch that has been bred in
captivity (or illegally caught) and marked with a colour ring. There have been several reports of these by ringers recently and we caught one on Hilbre a couple of years ago.

Hi Dick,
I don´t think that it´s a regulary banded bird, I miss the metall ring on it. It only looks as a color ring which pet lovers use to differ their birds. Note also that the goldie is missing the most part of it´s inner claw on the right foot. Sure an ex-captive bird.

Regards,
Roman

There doesn't appear to be metal ring on either leg suggesting this is a Goldfinch that has been bred in
captivity (or illegally caught) and marked with a colour ring. [...]
I wonder, how can you exclude it? I know for instance that boys caught birds and "ringed" them to see if they are revisiting the feeding station (but that´s 20 years ago).
Note also that breeders sometimes use wrong metal rings if they aren´t familar with the species or the proper ring size. And to avoid harm to the bird in such case metals rings are dislodged. Either with special scissors or with a circular saw wich use vets mostly.

If you checkout the NIBirds Blog, you'll see that a Goldfinch, also with a Yellow Ring on its right leg, was snapped in Muff, Donegal last Sunday, the day before I took the photo of mine, in my North Antrim garden. .... N.B. A distance of appx 50 Miles

So could this be the same bird? :eek!:

NI Birds Blog

Cheers,
Dick

Last edited:
As it is allready mentioned in the blog. When a ringer, working in a ringing scheme, is ringing a bird with color bands then he/she will aplly a metal ring too. How can you differ birds when even the color ring doesn´t have any code on it!?
The situation is of course different when using coded color bands like on geese and swans (which I can oberve regulary here). But I think even then they get banded with a metal ring.

Regards,
Roman

While I agree with Stonechat1, the direct answer to your question, Ptarmi, is, "there is always a chance." Unfortunately a yellow ring alone can't prove they're the same bird, especially if a charm of Goldies have escaped an aviary in which more than one is carrying a yellow ring!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back