• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Algarve, Portugal. 20th-27th June 2011. (2 Viewers)

Pam_m

It was good to be back in the Algarve and feel the warmth of the sun! Our accomodation for the week was an apartment (one of just four) in Vale de Parra which had been recommended to us on a previous holiday. It was a superb apartment and one I can highly recommend, PM me for details if interested.
Around the gardens and nearby were a pair of Linnets with the male looking striking in his breeding plumage, House Sparrows, Greenfinch, Blackbirds, Collared Doves, Swifts, Swallows, House Martins and the occasional Grasshopper!
At Lagoa dos Salgados it was somewhat quiet, though with a flock of c200 Greater Flamingos it could hardly be called quiet! Other highlights were Mallards aplenty, Coots, Moorhen, Black-winged Stilts, Avocets, Spoonbills, Grey Heron, Purple Heron (Lifer), Little Egret, Med Gull, Common Sandpiper, Hoopoe, Little Grebe, Crested Larks, Fan-tailed Warblers, Bee-eaters, Azure-winged Magpies, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Woodchat Shrikes (Lifer), Kestrel, Swifts, Hirundines and Little Owls galore in the evenings were some of the highlights at this Lagoon.

Wednesday the 22nd was to be a good, no a great day! My Daughter and Son etc had arranged for us to have a Guided birding day with Simon Wates (Birdforum member) at Baixo Alentejo, a surprise Birthday present for me! It was a fantastic day with many new bird species seen! The highlight birds seen were Griffon Vulture, Black Vulture, Black Kite, Black-winged Kite, Montagu's Harrier (m, f and 2 juvs, awesome birds), Short-toed Eagle, Golden Eagle ( perched and distant but great scope and bins views, we did see it fly later but hard to get a perspective of it's awesome size ) Lesser Kestrels (stunning birds), Great Bustard, Little Bustard, Great Spotted Cuckoo, Roller, Crag Martin, Red-rumped Swallow, Turtle Dove, Stone Curlew (on the ground and in flight, a cracker), Thekla Lark, Woodchat Shrike, Iberian Grey Shrike, Spanish Sparrow, Nightingale (fleetingly), Spotless Starlings, Golden Oriole x3 (heard and seen, gorgeous birds), and possibly my favourite bird of the day, a Rufous Bush Robin with the Golden Eagle, Lesser Kestrels and Golden Orioles vying for second place. As it was quickly approaching dusk we watched several Bee-eaters and Lesser Kestrels as they caught flying insects, 7 Corn Buntings were perched on a fence and a superb male Montagu's Harrier flew through..what a finale to a fantastic day! Magic!
We arrived back at our apartment rather late (well the next day to be honest.lol!) after a wonderfully exciting day in such a vast area, when at the Raptor watch point it was an eyeopener to see just how vast the area is, an area I had wanted to visit for a long time. I learnt a lot of facts and saw a lot of new bird species (19 lifers) thanks to Simon's expert birding knowledge, a great guy! A truly unforgettable day!

The rest of the week was spent resting...well sunbathing.... and visiting a couple of areas, Lagoa dos Salgados in the early mornings and at dusk being one of them. On one of the early morning visits 8 Hoopoe were feeding along the track to the carpark, I have never seen that many in one go before! Dusk visits brought us a couple of sightings and churring songs of Nightjars, not Red-necked Nightjar as I have checked their song on returning home. Little Owls were seen several times perched in the trees and along the track. Silves was visited but it was quiet here with White Storks being the highlight and a stunning Monarch butterfly! At the Odelouca Valley Kingfisher, Pied (or white) Wagtail and Azure-winged Magpies were seen. After our day at Baixo Alentejo it would be hard to top what we had seen but the Nightjars and Little Owls at Lagoa dos Salgados were an absolute joy to see and hear!
All in all a memorable holiday!

Baixo Alentejo:

Attachments

• Alentejo [].JPG
    Alentejo [].JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Golden Eagle (heavily cropped).JPG
    Golden Eagle (heavily cropped).JPG
    72 KB · Views: 102
  • Griffon Vulture.JPG
    Griffon Vulture.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 123
  • Griffon Vultures 'on the rocks'! [].JPG
    Griffon Vultures 'on the rocks'! [].JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Black Kite (2).JPG
    Black Kite (2).JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 102
Baixo Alentejo:

Attachments

• Iberian Grey Shrike [].JPG
    Iberian Grey Shrike [].JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Little -ringed Plover..JPG
    Little -ringed Plover..JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 76
  • Rufous Bush Robin....record pic! [].JPG
    Rufous Bush Robin....record pic! [].JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Woodchat Shrike..JPG
    Woodchat Shrike..JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Swallowtail..JPG
    Swallowtail..JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 99
Lagoa dos Salgados.

Attachments

• Lagos dos Salgados [].JPG
    Lagos dos Salgados [].JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Cattle Egret [].JPG
    Cattle Egret [].JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Bee-eater (2) [].JPG
    Bee-eater (2) [].JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Goldfinch [].JPG
    Goldfinch [].JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Greater Flamingoes.JPG
    Greater Flamingoes.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 82
Lagoa dos Salgados:

Monarch butterfly & White Stork taken at Silves:

Attachments

• Black-winged Stilt [].JPG
    Black-winged Stilt [].JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 71
  • Hoopoe [].JPG
    Hoopoe [].JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 83
  • Woodchat Shrike (m&f) (2) [].JPG
    Woodchat Shrike (m&f) (2) [].JPG
    81 KB · Views: 91
  • White Stork. Silves.JPG
    White Stork. Silves.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Monarch butterfly. Silves [].JPG
    Monarch butterfly. Silves [].JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 101
A wonderful report Pam. And such lovely pictures to accompany it.

You really did have a good time, didn't you.

D

Hi Pam
Sounds like you had a great vacation.
Makes me want to go back soon.
Hope you tried the O'Marinheiro at Val de Parra.
Thanks for sharing your report.
Mick

A wonderful report Pam. And such lovely pictures to accompany it.

You really did have a good time, didn't you.

D

Thanks Delia! I am pleased that you enjoyed the report. It really was a great holiday!

Brings back memories of my own trip, hope you like the Swaro ELs?

I have read your super report since returning, you do have some great memories Alex! My new bins are topnotch!

Hi Pam
Sounds like you had a great vacation.
Makes me want to go back soon.
Hope you tried the O'Marinheiro at Val de Parra.
Thanks for sharing your report.
Mick

I am back in the Autumn Mick so will make a note of O'Marinheiro, it looks a brill restaurant after doing a bit of googling! Two favourites of mine are A Casa Do Avo and Sao Domingos, both in Vale de Parra!

Thank you Delia, Alex and Mick for your kind comments!:t:

Wonderful day you had at Castro Verde / Baixo Alentejo. One of my favourate areas in the world. Pleased for you.

Simon connected with you with virtually all the goodies! :t:

Wonderful day you had at Castro Verde / Baixo Alentejo. One of my favourate areas in the world. Pleased for you.

Simon connected with you with virtually all the goodies! :t:

Thanks Wolfbirder!

Simon certainly did connect us with virtually all the goodies!:t:

At one point we were driving down a track and just ahead of us on the track was a Little Bustard pecking away at insects, we were so lucky to come across one out in the open. It eventually spotted us and ran into tall plant cover. Not everyday one see's such a delightful bird!

I have added my record 'Spot the Little Bustard' pic!

Attachments

• Little Bustard [].JPG
    Little Bustard [].JPG
    196.7 KB · Views: 116
Thanks Wolfbirder!

At one point we were driving down a track and just ahead of us on the track was a Little Bustard pecking away at insects, we were so lucky to come across one out in the open. It eventually spotted us and ran into tall plant cover. Not everyday one see's such a delightful bird!

You are lucky to see this little blighter - it took me 4 trips to Spain and Portugal to see this species, I can only imagine what mileage I put in.:eek!:

Thanks Wolfbirder!

You are lucky to see this little blighter - it took me 4 trips to Spain and Portugal to see this species, I can only imagine what mileage I put in.:eek!:

Took me at least 15mins on my first attempt;)

Pam, your record shot is way better than any I managed

It was good to be back in the Algarve and feel the warmth of the sun! Our accomodation for the week was an apartment (one of just four) in Vale de Parra which had been recommended to us on a previous holiday. It was a superb apartment and one I can highly recommend, PM me for details if interested.
Around the gardens and nearby were a pair of Linnets with the male looking striking in his breeding plumage, House Sparrows, Greenfinch, Blackbirds, Collared Doves, Swifts, Swallows, House Martins and the occasional Grasshopper!
At Lagoa dos Salgados it was somewhat quiet, though with a flock of c200 Greater Flamingos it could hardly be called quiet! Other highlights were Mallards aplenty, Coots, Moorhen, Black-winged Stilts, Avocets, Spoonbills, Grey Heron, Purple Heron (Lifer), Little Egret, Med Gull, Common Sandpiper, Hoopoe, Little Grebe, Crested Larks, Fan-tailed Warblers, Bee-eaters, Azure-winged Magpies, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Woodchat Shrikes (Lifer), Kestrel, Swifts, Hirundines and Little Owls galore in the evenings were some of the highlights at this Lagoon.

Wednesday the 22nd was to be a good, no a great day! My Daughter and Son etc had arranged for us to have a Guided birding day with Simon Wates (Birdforum member) at Baixo Alentejo, a surprise Birthday present for me! It was a fantastic day with many new bird species seen! The highlight birds seen were Griffon Vulture, Black Vulture, Black Kite, Black-winged Kite, Montagu's Harrier (m, f and 2 juvs, awesome birds), Short-toed Eagle, Golden Eagle ( perched and distant but great scope and bins views, we did see it fly later but hard to get a perspective of it's awesome size ) Lesser Kestrels (stunning birds), Great Bustard, Little Bustard, Great Spotted Cuckoo, Roller, Crag Martin, Red-rumped Swallow, Turtle Dove, Stone Curlew (on the ground and in flight, a cracker), Thekla Lark, Woodchat Shrike, Iberian Grey Shrike, Spanish Sparrow, Nightingale (fleetingly), Spotless Starlings, Golden Oriole x3 (heard and seen, gorgeous birds), and possibly my favourite bird of the day, a Rufous Bush Robin with the Golden Eagle, Lesser Kestrels and Golden Orioles vying for second place. As it was quickly approaching dusk we watched several Bee-eaters and Lesser Kestrels as they caught flying insects, 7 Corn Buntings were perched on a fence and a superb male Montagu's Harrier flew through..what a finale to a fantastic day! Magic!
We arrived back at our apartment rather late (well the next day to be honest.lol!) after a wonderfully exciting day in such a vast area, when at the Raptor watch point it was an eyeopener to see just how vast the area is, an area I had wanted to visit for a long time. I learnt a lot of facts and saw a lot of new bird species (19 lifers) thanks to Simon's expert birding knowledge, a great guy! A truly unforgettable day!

The rest of the week was spent resting...well sunbathing.... and visiting a couple of areas, Lagoa dos Salgados in the early mornings and at dusk being one of them. On one of the early morning visits 8 Hoopoe were feeding along the track to the carpark, I have never seen that many in one go before! Dusk visits brought us a couple of sightings and churring songs of Nightjars, not Red-necked Nightjar as I have checked their song on returning home. Little Owls were seen several times perched in the trees and along the track. Silves was visited but it was quiet here with White Storks being the highlight and a stunning Monarch butterfly! At the Odelouca Valley Kingfisher, Pied (or white) Wagtail and Azure-winged Magpies were seen. After our day at Baixo Alentejo it would be hard to top what we had seen but the Nightjars and Little Owls at Lagoa dos Salgados were an absolute joy to see and hear!
All in all a memorable holiday!

Baixo Alentejo:

Hi Pam

I see you mention Montagu's Harrier. Superb birds aren't they? ALthough this is not the one you saw, I thought you might like to have a look and relive part of your great birding experience:

http://youtu.be/pKHQSEkH7j0

All the best
Steve

Hi Pam

I see you mention Montagu's Harrier. Superb birds aren't they? ALthough this is not the one you saw, I thought you might like to have a look and relive part of your great birding experience:

http://youtu.be/pKHQSEkH7j0

All the best
Steve

Thank you for the video link Steve! The Montagu's Harrier looked as though it was enjoying a tasty treat as a reward for the video shoot?

I have relived in my mind my great birding experience many times since that memorable day!

Hi Pam

Glad you liked the video. However, no artificial feeding is involved with these birds, so whatever he was extricating from his bill was his own doing!

Steve

Just re-read your trip report again and still can't believe how brilliant all your sightings were, I would love to see just one of your nineteen lifers!!;) The birds certainly came out in force for your day at Baixo Alentejo which sounds like it is a 'must visit' area to visit for holidaying birdwatchers in the Algarve....I will certainly be going there for my next trip there! Your photographs have captured the highlights from your holiday perfectly and it is so nice to see Bee-Eaters at Lagoa dos Salgados...a bird I have never seen there!!o:)

Great report Pam, makes me want to get back to Portugal myself. I never got up into the Alentejo area when we went so really envy your list from there. An awful lot of those 19 lifers would have been the same for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back