• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Amazing sight of Wedge-tailed eagle (1 Viewer)

pesche1306

On my small country property in northern NSW I was just settling down on my verandah for some lunch when I saw this bird diving straight down from far up in the sky towards my three donkeys grazing in the paddock no more than 50 metres away. First I thought it was going to attack one of the donkeys but it was heading for a cattle egret walking on the ground next to the donkeys. When the bird got close, the donkeys got startled and run away but the egret didn't have a chance. The wedge-tailed eagle lifted it up on to a low branch on a gum tree near by, it only took him about 10 min. to finish the meal. After that exiting sight it was time for me to have my lunch.

Wow. Makes my bacon sandwich and a few blue tits today look quite lame. Welcome to Bird Forum.

Chris

While driving through the Australian Outback several years ago, I saw Wedge Tails quite regularly.
More often than not they would be feeding on road kill in the middle of the highway, along with groups of kites.
The kites would fly up as the car approached, however the eagle would stay put giving me a look as if to say 'you don't expect me to move for a bloody Pommie, do ya mate?'
Although the car I was driving was a huge saloon car (Toyota Avalon), I didn't fancy my chances against a Wedgie. Fantastic birds!

Tiger_mz said:
There was a Wedged-tailed eagle on telly yesterday. Awsome.

I was never really aware of them before.
was that on the crocodile hunter diaries?i saw that!stunning bird but what a nasty thing it was too.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back