• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wearing glasses or not ? (1 Viewer)

g8ina

He's pining for the Fjords !
I'm now into my third week of my new Opticron TGA 8x42s and loving them. BUT, I have noticed that after an hour or so, my eyes started to water and a headache also started up.

Then I realised that my astigmatism was making my eyes work a lot harder, along with the 2-3 degree angle of relaxed vision between left and right eyes, ie, if I cover one eye, then the other and switch rapidly, the object I'm looking at jumps from top right to bottom left when changing from left to right eye by about 2-3 degrees.

So, I started to wear my glasses, and now everything is SO much more relaxed. I was really surprised at how much a difference prescription glasses can make.

I was just wondering how many people who should wear prescription glasses do or don't when using binoculars ?

I wear glasses and find I cannot use my bins without them. Strangely enough, I find it easier to use my 'scope without them.

AndyC said:
I wear glasses and find I cannot use my bins without them. Strangely enough, I find it easier to use my 'scope without them.

I wear glasses all the time, i have astigmatism, more pronounced in one eye than the other. However, i really hate using binoculars and glasses in the same time. I quickly lift the glasses on my forehead (i carefully selected a frame that will work with this) before taking the 'nocs to my eyes.
I carefully set the diopter adjustment on the binoculars, and i am sure that i see all there is to see.
Same with the scope.

AndyC said:

I wear glasses and find I cannot find my bins without them...

I keep them on all the time with both bins and scope.

I have some eye problems with porros once in a while, that is why I chose Nikon Action EX tha work with glasses. With roof prisms, I tend not to use glasses. However, if I am reading a field guide already I will use them with glasses as well.

I have eyes with 2 dioptres difference between them. I used to think that wearing glasses and using binoculars is very uncomfortable. So I had my binoculars adjusted and I tried not to wear binoculars at all while birdwatching or I did some "lift your glasses" technique. It was because I had binoculars with 13mm ER. Since I have Nikon EX (17 mm ER) I had no such problemsl. I got used to using glasses and binoculars at same time and I find this very comfortable as I don't loose FOV at all. And I don't have to change things on my head all the time.

Last edited:
kmiernik said:
I have eyes with 2 dioptres difference between them. I used to think that wearing glasses and using binoculars is very uncomfortable. So I had my binoculars adjusted and I tried not to wear binoculars at all while birdwatching or I did some "lift your glasses" technique. It was because I had binoculars with 13mm ER. Since I have Nikon EX (17 mm ER) I had no such problemsl. I got used to using glasses and binoculars at same time and I find this very comfortable as I don't loose FOV at all. And I don't have to change things on my head all the time.

It's not about FOV with me lifting the eyglasses. I think that it's about having a more comfortable hold on the binoculars. Also, when i push the eyecups into my eyesockets i can stabilize the binoculars better.

I wear glasses when using my bins (Nikon sporters 8x36) but have problems when using some other people bins as the best position of the eye cups is neither fully up or down but somewhere in between. Occasionally wear contacts with my bins but the eyecups have a habit of falling back down (screw up ones) to the position i use for glasses which can get a little annoying!

Never played with a scope yet that i can use glasses with and not lose any FOV so generally when using scope lift them up or again wear contacts.

g8ina said:
Try Moonfish 2" eyepieces ! Stunning 30mm with 22mm of ER :-

Moonfish Eyepieces

Just been watching some house sparrows from my window with my new scope and didnt realise i hadnt removed my glasses, so the above isnt too accurate.

When something works you dont notice it does but when i does not....

For me if you wear glasses and your astigmatism is bad enough then you must wear glasses with your bino's. For my part my bino spec must include twist up cups, I dislike rubber cups, and good eye relief > 17mm

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back