• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Id Please, Norfolk!!! (1 Viewer)

Penny Clarke

A Norfolk birder just highlighted this on Twitter. A lady called Sue on NORFOLK COUNTRYSIDE PHOTOS on Facebook has this bird in her garden. Anyone know what is is please? She describes it as far bigger than a magpie! Obviously from an aviary or if not, she has a first for Britain!!! People keep mentioning Rose-coloured Starling, but tail far too long and bird too big for that.

Cheers Penny:girl:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017 smaller.png
    Screen Shot 2017 smaller.png
    191.8 KB · Views: 451
Looks like a Magpie, not our Magpie of course but another species, Yellow-billed Blue Magpie maybe unless that's food in it's beak??

A

Last edited:
I saw this on FB on my phone earlier and my initial thought on the thumbnail was rosy starling when you open the image the tail is too long and it looks to big a bird. Looking at it now on a computer I'm wondering if it is just a dodgy looking magpie with a lot of feather loss?

I saw this on FB on my phone earlier and my initial thought on the thumbnail was rosy starling when you open the image the tail is too long and it looks to big a bird. Looking at it now on a computer I'm wondering if it is just a dodgy looking magpie with a lot of feather loss?

Hi Peter

I just asked Sue what colour the beak was.... she said 'white'!

Difficult to tell from the photo but could the apparently white bill be a food item or some residue?

The picture in the link of the magpie with feather loss seems to fit well. It's certainly an interesting looking bird. Any chance of the lady who reported it getting a better picture?

Cheers

If it was actually "much bigger than a magpie", escaped Urocissa sp seems like the only option. However, people often think unusual or unexpected birds/animals are bigger than they actually are. Is the size of the birdtable known? That should be enough to tell whether this can be a magpie with feather loss/staining or has to be something else.

That's a (Eurasian) magpie with feather loss then, like the one linked to above. Interesting that they seem to lose the white but not the black feathers - to do with black pigment's strengthening effect?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back