• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corn Bunting Vs Reed Bunting (1 Viewer)

I found some reiseri subspecies, which is in Greece. I ll try to find some caspia.

Attachments

• Emberiza schoeniclus reiseri.jpg
    Emberiza schoeniclus reiseri.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 195
  • E.s.reiseri.jpg
    E.s.reiseri.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 228
I would also think Cirl.... didn´t we have a quizz some time ago with 6 or 7 species on one Photo from a puddle in Greece? If I remember correctly there was also a cirl on the picture showing no hint of yellow...but a view fronm the side. Jane, i think you also participated-maybe you remember better than me?

It's a bunting with a truly heavy bill with a curved culmen, which excludes most buntings! (edit: except that monster Jane's just linked to).
A brown eyestripe, greyish brow, brown sides of crown, lighter cheeks, a brown-to-black moustachial stripe, and a black malar, combined with a grey neck are all OK for a Reed Bunting, albeit a somewhat washed out one.

Last edited:
I dd say that even whithin the large variaton of Reed, they at least all show the same pattern with their malar stripes and submoustachial stripes; and then the overall streaked side of the head. I dont think this is a Reed.

I found this one that seems very similar with my bird,or?
http://www.birdpix.nl/album_page.php?pic_id=40021

Nope, Reed Buntings, as the linked bird, have almost totally UNSTREAKED heads, while the head of your bird is totally covered by fine, distinct streaks. Note also the smaller bill and the less distinct streaking on the breast, too.

At first I thought that the bird looked like a Cirl Bunting, but after having a thought on it I think that Corn Bunting is probably the best alternative, despite the grey looking bill. The shape of the bill fits better Corn than Cirl, and I think that the streaking on the head is usually even more distinctive on Corn Buntings *. Here's a Corn Bunting, that looks pretty similar:

http://www.tarsiger.com/images/karainio/Milcal_24101999_3.jpg

*Edit: I mean that Corn Buntings have more streaks on the head than Cirls. This fits better to Ody's bird, which shows a really strongly streaked head.

Last edited:
Now we, I mean CAU ;) are getting somewhere, Reed is not a good choise, as I first suggested as a hint, nor Cirl but Corn is the answeer - in fact quite obvious!

JanJ

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back