• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seemingly the bird of the moment.. (1 Viewer)

Shadows on the middle colour sketch of the owl are brilllllliant ... and the fairy wrens, well, they just make me laugh. Eee! Here puff! Here puff!

Thanks again Mike and Jo....here's a question: Now that the greenies have gotten their way, what lightbulbs are everyone gonna be using on their drawingb boards?? I do alot of my illustration work thru the wee hours and 2 100W daylight bulbs are what I use.....now, I haven't done any research into substitutes (thought I'd be lazy and ask you knowledgeable lot first!) but if the rest of the lights in my house are anything to go by, I'd best get some big candles ready or just sleep like a normal person....!

Not a very well-thought out policy, meethinks. Most folk will be so fed up of waiting for the low-energy bulbs to warm up - they'll just leave the lights on all the time.
And in answer - go to bed, like normal folk ;)

I've got a daylight bulb in an angle poise with 4 spares in reserve but I don't know if I'll be able to replace them when they do eventually go dead.

Mike

Thanks Kitty - they're from the 'forthcoming' Birds of Melanesia from Helm....6 left to do but don't know about the other arists working on it. Looking forwad to painting kingfishers for a change from passerines that have no references whatsoever! Will it ever see the light of day - I bloody hope so!!

Ads

Here are the 5 drawings of some of the commoner birds I tarted up whilst staying at Broome Bird Obs, WA, although bizarrely I didn't do up any of the wader sketches which is what Broome is especially famous for...but the other birds were so much more interesting!! We turned up there for one day and stayed two weeks and had a brilliant time. I used these to cover the cost of staying there. Pete, the warden at the time, had them professionally copied and I signed and numbered each one and they went up for sale in the shop - result!! The Great Bowerbird had his bower on the grounds and was a delight to watch - he had a penchant for green and white things: the scientists there had collected alot of mud samples and had left the jars out to dry off but when they went to collect them all the white lids were missing....bafflement all round, until someone checked the bower a couple of days later and there they all were!!

Doves of Broome (Large).jpgFinches (Large).jpgGreat Bowerbird (Large).jpgWhistlers (Large).jpgYellow Chat (Large).jpg

Ads

Outstanding work Ads - particularly adore the yellow chat sheet - although all are, as usual, stunning. Much taken with your improvisation regarding financing the trip - good man!

get these published - you've already got one customer for a book here! (signed of course!)

Outstanding work!

get these published - you've already got one customer for a book here! (signed of course!)

Outstanding work!

Outstanding indeed. Dusky Broadbill page really is exceptional, as they all are, Collared Owls are another set of drawings that pulled me in. Tour de force of sketching on view here, that rear view of Fairy Wren is brilliantly drawn. This kind of work may be hard to push in the opinion of many publishers, but I do think if done properly a publication containing lots of fieldwork and perhaps a few finished works would sell rather well. Peter Scotts diaries spring to mind, what a wonderful set of books they were. These are up there at that level...

Thanks for the praise Alan, really...and just for you some more broadbills! ;) Those Duskies, whilst not the most colourful species, were an absolute delight to watch, full of character
Nick - if it ever happens, your copy's in the post!!

Dusky Broadbill (1) (Large).jpgBlack & Yellow Broadbill (Large).jpg

This is a great little sequence - almost like an animated film - the eye catches the yawning/calling bird and then flicks up left to it snuggled down. Cracking job.

Thanks guys....3 more years to go - now that's a scary bloody thought. It makes it even worse when I saw my name on the 'today's birthdays' listings and there was 37 in black & white.....just keep telling myself that im just 20-17 and it doesn't sound as bad. Or it's my 21st today...my 16th 21st.....oh arse, I'm off to get pi$$ed!!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back