• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Matt's watercolors (1 Viewer)

Thanks Matt, I've tried several brands with Kolinsky sable, and none of them hold a point right, so after your post I believe I'll go back to Series 7 as I used a long long time ago when I tried watercolor before.....thanks for the post it's a great help.

don't buy the Jack Richeson kolinsky's either.....

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/Brushes-and-Palette-Knives/Creative-Mark-2-For-1-Brush-Sale/Rhapsody-2-For-1-Brush-Sale.htm

I just ordered some Creative Mark kolinsky "guaranteed not to split" Which is my complaint with the Richeson....they are 2 for 1 this weekend, (#4 is 2 for $17.50 and #2 is $7.50 for 2 .....plus shipping)

I ordered one Series 7 WN #4 to compare which is also on Super Sale at $11.50 ea I'll post the results when I paint with them. If the creative mark works it does cost less, if it doesn't I'm returning it

Last edited:
Lovely, intricate work Matt, it's quite reminiscent of the way I used to work when I was doing detailed painting in watercolour. Fascinating to see the technique and the obvious control you have, big brush or otherwise!

Mike

Enjoyed the WIP Matt. This is a style I could never work in since I just don't have the patience or skill. But it was very interesting to see how you tackle such a complex project.

Delighted to find someone else who believes in using big, high quality brushes. Can't get on with those tiny ones that run out of paint mid-stroke! Keep trying to persuade my students to buy one really good brush instead of lots of cheap ones that collectively end up more expensive.

I also like W&N Series 7, but have discovered Isabey Series 6228 too. Harder to track down but well worth the search. Art shop owner told me the Da Vinci ones were best, but I couldn't get on with those.

Although this is an older painting I thought it would be worth sharing as a Step-by-Step since it had some unusual surfaces to paint.

The client wanted five male hummingbirds at the feeder. Perhaps not the most realistic scenario for these aggressive and territorial birds, but why not? We settled on Blue-throated, Costa's, Violet-crowned, Black-chinned, and Rufus Hummingbirds. It is an 18 x 24 inch transparent watercolor on Lana 140 lb HP Paper.

WIP can be seen here....http://blog.bohanart.com/2010/03/coke-bottle-hummingbird-feeder/

Attachments

• humersFULLsm.jpg
    humersFULLsm.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 88
Thanks Tim, I usually don't do much with the computer for the watercolors. At the end of the day I want a change from drawing on the screen. In this case I needed some good reference for that feeder, so I had to get creative.

I always scan finished work in, especially if it is going to a new home. I've been trying to be better about scanning things in while working on them. Occasionally I'll experiment in Photoshop on the scans done part way through if I'm not sure where to go, but not often.

real virtuoso painting on that feeder, and what an amazing use of the computer, looks like it would take a lot of knowledge of complicated programs to do it...I've never seen a feeder like this....

Really awesome patience...even the writing on the bottle, jeeze..

Colleen,

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't want to learn Lightwave 3D just to make a hummingbird feeder! I use it all the time for the "serious" paying work, so it was faster to do that you might think.

Ok, its not a bird this time, but I thought folks might be interesting in something with fur for a change! The chipmunks are out of hibernation in mid-michigan so I thought its a good time to show a watercolor and an WIP to match...

Eastern Chipmunk
Transparent watercolor on Arches 140lb HP paper
10 x 14 inches

Attachments

• chippy.jpg
    chippy.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 83
The brown-headed cowbirds returned to Michigan and are taking over the feeders. Its hard to be enamored of these nest parasites, but they are attractive in their own way. I try to look on the bright side. if the cowbirds are here, the warblers are on the way soon.

Attachments

• cowbird.jpg
    cowbird.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 106
Another non-bird... but at least it has wings. This is a male ruby meadowhawk, a common Michigan dragonfly.

Ruby Meadowhawk
5 x 7 inches
Transparent Watercolor on Lana 140lb HP

Detail image is approx 1.75 x 2.75 inches

A step-by-step through the creation of the painting can be seen here... WIP

Attachments

• rmhSM.jpg
    rmhSM.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 95
  • rmhSMdetail.jpg
    rmhSMdetail.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 90
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back