• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BF Meet 8 February 2015 (1 Viewer)

Sounds good to me!
Trying to come up with a plan as everything we normally look for is currently at NDC and looks like staying that way, other places we normally do are dry. Was thinking the following but any other suggestions welcome :

Start NDC
Bubwith bridge depending on water currently dry
Skipwith common visit?
bank island or Wheldrake ings
Melbourne for corn bunting roost (122 birds tonight!) Or back to NDC for 3pm ish in hope of catching any raptors or owls which have been showy recently.

Parking at Melbourne is very limited only really room for a couple of cars so not sure about that one. Will keep an eye on local news to see if anywhere else is worth visiting. Not sure what's at Wheldrake at the moment but it's usually heavy going this time of year so that might be out too, but stuck for ideas for early afternoon unless we spend a good amount of time at skipwith common.

Raptors & owls would be good for me (especially showy ones :) ). Isn't a bit early for anything decent at Skipwith??

Will go with the flow whatever's decided.

Richard

Possibly early but wasnt too early last year when I visited. I've asked NE staff to update me nearer to time but they confirmed only water is at NDC + Wheldrake ings. Suppose we could try Castle Howard again or perhaps some woodland, or even North cave if anything about.

When I say showy it's usually too dark for photography!

Last edited:
Liking your plan Andy, if Aughton and Ellerton are dry then Castle Howard is possibly a good second choice, what would you expect at Skipwith in Feb? We could car share to the bunting roost from NDC.

how many of us are there? Car sharing would be best option to melbourne, its not safe to take more than 2 cars there thats all, you'll understand if we go! Not sure re skipwith but at the end of feb last year I was there and heard a number of birds of one of the key species we'd normally look for there, if you catch my drift...
There is a woodland near cawood on t'other side of A19 that holds crossbill which I thought about but i've never visited. Lets see what gets reported in the next week.

Still planning to be there. May not be posting again for a bit. Very unreliable connection here. Could head down to blacktoft in the evening for harrier roost? Will go with the flow.

Possibly 7 as a friend of mine is hoping to come too that lives in the area and posts on here, but that works good for car sharing.

I had thought about the Blacktoft roost but there's chance of seeing plenty here in the evening too.

Green winged teal at Ndc this weekend and marsh harriers + stonechats, fingers crossed for 2 weeks time!

Train to Leeds Station,there are a number of bus routes that run close to Ken's but don't ask me the route numbers. If pushed it is walkable, only a couple of mile at most. PM Ken.

Had a very quick look at NDC today plenty of waders about but no swans today, water has decreased again, may be worth going to North cave after and finish at Blacktoft. Thoughts?

Had a very quick look at NDC today plenty of waders about but no swans today, water has decreased again, may be worth going to North cave after and finish at Blacktoft. Thoughts?

Last week there were some distant Whooper Swans in the field on the opposite side of the road to the NDC car park

I know the site which is a regular one but didn't see them there today, they must be about somewhere!

I know the site which is a regular one but didn't see them there today, they must be about somewhere!

If there isn't a thaw before your visit it may be pretty poor. I was there today for several hours. There were no Whoopers, in fact no wildfowl on NDC at all. There were a few ducks being flushed on the Derwent at intervals, but always distant.

2 Stonechats from Geoff Smith hide. Also distant Marsh Harrier, imm Peregrine, Buzzards, 3 Golden plover, a few Dunlin flew over, and a Kingfisher zipped across.

Some talk on Facebook about Sunday, if NDC and rest of LDV is frozen how about Potteric Carr as a venue? Recent highlights inlude lesser pecker, bittern and possible parakeets.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back