• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting Coot (1 Viewer)

Would the lack of a large bald patch mean it is a 1st winter bird (no bird books at work to confirm this).

Or at least one that has not bred Kids are helping my baldness at any rate!! 8-P

Well adult Coots' shields are variable in size and can't apparently be used for aging (I've just looked it up!), but I think it's safe to say that a shield as restricted as the one in the pic would indicate a first winter.

Jason

Dunno if the greyness means anything or not, but I can't recollect ever having seen a coot with such a pink bill - or is that just the bad light again?

Michael

The pink caste to the bill that Michael refers to is often visible in certain light conditions and attitudes - (similar to the flat light of this picture and foreshortened attitude of the bird).
I see nothing wrong with the grey-ish appearance of the body colour, again flat light often reveals subtle nuances that aren't visible in more contrasting conditions. The size of the shield isn't particluarly relevant for aging and sexing and is quite a variable feature.
This is just a 'normal' Eurasian Coot Fulica Atra.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back