• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Scope and Leica camera (1 Viewer)

fredyr

Leica is bringing out a new digital camera with 8mps and 4 times zoom called the D-Lux 2 with an optional adaptor for digiscoping with their scopes. Has anybody read about this anywhere and if those in the know would recommend the combination and which scope for a small elderly woman but still want to get birds 600-700mm away. I have been using my 20D with my 70-300DOIS and often find it not nearly long enough as you all must be aware. I would also require a very good viewfinder as the camera hasn't got an optical viewfinder so would like to know how viewing works without an optical viewfinder on the camera.
Thanks to anyone who could advise me as I can see neither in Israel and would have to order sight unseen.
Thanks in advance.
Fredy Ross

Hi Fredy,
I'm interested in this camera too. The links on Leica's website to digital camera's, including Leica's own digital forum, show some skepticism about this camera. Most center around the fact that it is totally Japanese made. There also are comments about "excessive noise" as far down as 100ASA. I, too, don't like the idea of no optical viewfinder although it does have a 2.5" color monitor. I suppose it is meant to be used as a viewfinder. There were 2 reviews in "Digital Camera's Online Magazine" (see link in Leica's site.) One review was quite good, the other was poor.
I think I'll wait a bit before I decide to buy it.
Bob

Always wise to wait just in case of problems. I didn't think it was on the market yet and wouldn't be out till December. Panasonic bought out Leica I think so the new Panasonic would be a twin or so it seems. I have done some more reading and didn't realise that the scope needed a tripod too so I would end up as heavy as my 20D and 70-300DO which is very versatile for every day and not just for birds.
I also bought the Ixus 700 and am very disappointed but should have waited for more reviews so you are wise. Recently on dpreview someone here in Israel attached his canon S70 to a Nikon scope $250 plus adaptor $150 both at B&H so it got me thinking. Our bird migration is nearly at an end so it will be spring before I would use it seriously. Certainly something to think about but noise in these little cameras is a problem so I am wary too. Would be interesting to see the threads on the Leica though just out of interest. I have a TCON17 from my first digital camera and attached it to my lens with a stepdown ring with mixed results which could have been my ineptitude rather than the fault of the camera. Hopefully this thread will continue and others will join in. regards fredyr

I called Tamarkin in NYC the other day and was told that they expected their first shipment by the middle of this month. I inquired about the Digital Adapter 2 and was told that it was specially designed for Leica spotting scopes. They had no info on using it on other scopes.

Except for the lack of a viewfinder, the whole idea of this camera is exciting. Sometimes, however, things are too good to be true. Also, there is no mention if there is a fitting for a remote release cord, which is almost a necessity for digiscoping.

Cordially,
Bob

Fredy
Let me clarify that. The specs make no mention of a remote cord or control. A topdown view of the camera indicates that the shutter is electronic, as expected. The camera has anti-shake technology. Perhaps they expect the photographer to activate it while digiscoping and merely "push" the shutter release with a finger and let the anti-shake technology take the place of a remote cord. I don't know. There is nothing in the forums on this. It's a good question to ask before deciding to buy it. It doesn't appear that many of these camera's have made it to the street yet.
Bob

More on the above. I picked up the December issue of Popular Photography today. Page 27 has a short article on a full page about the D-LUX 2 with a good picture of it. It appears to be essentially the same camera as the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 shown at the top of page 95. The major difference seems to be $200.00 in price. Also the Leica has a 2 year warranty rather than a 1 year warranty on the Lumix and it comes with Adobe Elements 3.0 instead of ArcSoft's software suite.
Bob

Last edited:
Let's hope this combo is better than the D Lux1 because every digiscoped photo that I saw (including the one's used to promote it) was very poor.
Personally I would go for the Panasonic.

Mark

Leica camera and scope

Deja-vu said:
Let's hope this combo is better than the D Lux1 because every digiscoped photo that I saw (including the one's used to promote it) was very poor.
Personally I would go for the Panasonic.

Mark
However Panasonic hasn't got the adaptor for birding. I have a nice gadget I bought 5 years ago for my first digtial from www.photosolve.com. it is a viewer to keep the sun out of the LCD. I never attached it to the camera but made a necklace so that I can put it to any camera.
I am wondering if anyone looked at the adaptor and if I could use my canon SD500 and forget about the Leica camera.
I know nothing about cameras and scopes and what else one needs but I like birding and live near a nature reserve so have lots of opportunities.
Any help here most appreciated as I am just tempted to get the adaptor and scope and try it but have no idea of the cost.
Thanks fredyr

fredyr said:
However Panasonic hasn't got the adaptor for birding.

Quite right but I would like to bet you that the leica adaptor will fit the Panasonic in the same way that the D-Lux 1 adaptor fitted the equivlent Panasonic.

Mark

You are right I just looked up one of the retailers and it does. So why wouldn't it suit the Canon SD500? It is not on the list.
fredyr

I got a letter from Leica in Australia and the adaptor won't be out there till mid-January but the SD500 will suit it. He suggests a variable eyepiece with the scope. What do others think and which scope the straight one or the angled one. Thanks for help if can.
fredyr

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back