• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unknown duck-like birds (1 Viewer)

jocateme

These ducks have been seen in Buenos Aires, Argentina.
The first one is probably a juvenile, because of the small size and the feathers, but I have no idea of what it can be.
The second one (2-3 photos) was little, too, but bigger than the previous one, so I don't think it is a juvenile.
What do you think?
Thanks

Attachments

• Duck_1.JPG
    Duck_1.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 153
  • Duck_2.JPG
    Duck_2.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Duck_3.JPG
    Duck_3.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 154
They're not ducks. They're White-tufted Grebes (at least the two adults are, and the chick looks rather grebe like, so I'd say so too).
Bird Hard!

First is obviously a downy young grebe. If you saw it together with adult White-tufted Grebes in breeding plumage, then I'll bet that it is one of their chicks.

Thanks for your help, Bird Hard, Fritz and Carlos!

Carlos U said:
First is obviously a downy young grebe. If you saw it together with adult White-tufted Grebes in breeding plumage, then I'll bet that it is one of their chicks.
There were some White-winged Coots and some ducks in the lagoon, too. So, I guess you are right.
By the way, these birds looked like Mallard, Domestic Mallard and Domestic Muscovy Duck to me, but Mallards aren't found in Argentina. What do you think they are?

Thanks again

Attachments

• DSCN5001.JPG
    DSCN5001.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 92
these are domestic mallards, maybe wild ones aren't found in Argentina, but descendants of escaped farmyard stock are.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back