• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Sigma 150/600 (1 Viewer)

I managed to have a hold and play about with the 150-600 and the 120-300 in Preston today, my god they are built well. The 120-300 felt the better balance mainly due to the zoom not extending. I think for me now I will wait for the stock supply to catch up and hopefully the price will drop a bit.

I'm wondering if I can use my current MKII converter with the Canon, or will I have to buy a Sigma Converter?

I'm wondering if I can use my current MKII converter with the Canon, or will I have to buy a Sigma Converter?

Based on previous experience probably not as it will not fool the camera in thinking that the aperture is f8 and not f9.

BTW I forgot to mention that the new Sigma TC-1401 is the only TC that worked with the Tamron 150-600mm and allowed it to achieve AF on my Nikon D810 and D7100.

I tried the Nikon 1.4x (modified to fit any lens), Sigma 1.4x DG, Kenko 1.4x DG and Kenko 1.4x DGX. None worked with the Tamron at all.

Based on previous experience probably not as it will not fool the camera in thinking that the aperture is f8 and not f9.

BTW I forgot to mention that the new Sigma TC-1401 is the only TC that worked with the Tamron 150-600mm and allowed it to achieve AF on my Nikon D810 and D7100.

I tried the Nikon 1.4x (modified to fit any lens), Sigma 1.4x DG, Kenko 1.4x DG and Kenko 1.4x DGX. None worked with the Tamron at all.
But how about using a tc with the Sigma 150-600 (not the Tammy) I am guessing that you would need the siggy tc to make sure it reports f8.

But how about using a tc with the Sigma 150-600 (not the Tammy) I am guessing that you would need the siggy tc to make sure it reports f8.

Will try the two Kenko's that sometimes fool the camera and will let you know.
It does not work with the first version of the Sigma 1.4x

I am afraid that neither the Kenko DG or DGX work. Even though both seem to fool the camera and it tries to AF, the autofocus is erratic

I'm not up with Nikon cameras, do they AF at f8 and still no joy with the kenko? If that's the case should you need to add a TC the sigma 1401 is the only option.

had a chance to play with the Tammy last weekend and I dont think I would want to handle another two pounds. The Tammy is all I want to use hand held.
Steve

had a chance to play with the Tammy last weekend and I dont think I would want to handle another two pounds. The Tammy is all I want to use hand held.
Steve

My current heaviest lens is just over 4lbs and I thought that I would never be able to use it the first couple of times I went out with it. You do get used to heavier weights after a while. I recently had to go to physio and was told that the muscles on the left side of my body were unusually well developed and I can only put that down to the lens I use.

My next lens will be between 50% heavier than my current heaviest or almost double and I expect I'll moan about it for the first few trips and then it will become normal, I hope.

Micloi , hows the AF performance, mainly speed and ofcourse accuracy, with the Sigma TC on, on both D7100 and D810?

Slower than with the bare lens (obviously) but still a little faster than the 120-300mm + 2x TC

Reliable in good light but hunts a little in low light (but you wouldn't use the 1.4x then anyway).

Overall quite usable.

Slower than with the bare lens (obviously) but still a little faster than the 120-300mm + 2x TC

Reliable in good light but hunts a little in low light (but you wouldn't use the 1.4x then anyway).

Overall quite usable.

Thanks. Very useful information you have been providing through this thread. Differences you would note between D7100 and D810 with the 150-600 ?
Am i correct concluding by your test images that the sigma with the TC at 840 is sharper than the tamron at 600?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back