• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (19 Viewers)

Any suggestions for winter birding? Just got an email from travelodge, their winter sale starts tomorrow with rooms from £9. They have a hotel located this side of Kings Lynn which is nice for an evening drive down, a couple of drinks and North Norfolk on the doorstep for big geese flocks. (obviously this won't be at £9 but who knows). Anywhere else that may be accessible and of interest?

Jim,

I booked 2 days in the one on the ring road west of Norwich for previous winter deals and had a cracking time seeing Geese, Hawfinches, Cranes, Med Gulls, Harriers, Snow Bunts etc. etc. by the dozen. Everything about an hour away but nice and central for getting to east and north coasts. Also quite a fast drive going straight down the A1 and coming across via Cambridge.

Graham

Hi Just returned from a trip to Norfolk:

Day 1) arrived at 2pm and pitched the tent. Camped a Deepdale, which is about 3 miles from Titchwell. With tent erected, it was off to Titchwell, the weather was dull, but warm, managed 47 species, however darkness soon came and it was off back to the tent, pager tells me Black Stork at Spurn, Mmmmmm. That night we had heavy rain, but the tent stayed dry.....

Day 2) Decided to work along the coast, the overnight rain had cleared so headed down to Salthouse and Cley, usual birds, as we headed back up the coast the pager alert me to a White Rumped Sandpiper at Titchwell New Bird for me so offf we headed, and located the White Rumped Sandpiper, with help from a local birder it was with the Dunlin. The White Rumped Sandpiper, is a small bird, smaller than a Dunlin, it was viewable via the scope only so photos where not an option! Recorded 61species. Headed back to the tent and the "heavens opened" we had a thunder storm, again the tent held out.

Day 3) Got up early to drive down to Snettersham to watch the Knot display, tens of thousands of Knot where present giving dramatic views, Several Spotted Shanks, calling and flying overhead, however as quickly as the display started, it finished....Drove back up the coast and caught sight of 2 Cranes flying. That night when tucked up in the sleeping bags the wind picked up and it was soon gusting so hard it started to lift the tent, so at 02:00am we where packing the car and heading home.

On a recent thread, a question was asked: is Norfolk, better than Yorkshire for birding? Both areas have their qualities, and both have "cracking birds and people", as for the tent it is now at the "local tip" it is B&B from now!

Total count 87 species over 3 days and stormy nights. Nice to meet "Pom Skua" from the forum.

For more photos please follow the link http://davetucker.smugmug.com/gallery/5881220_vV7U3/1/365452413_8MukP

regards
Dave

Attachments

• Norfolk-29.jpg
    Norfolk-29.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 63
It's a nice evening for a short drive. Anyone got details of the Grey Phalarope at Altofts?

Dave, probably Filey or Spurn on Sunday unless there's some disaster between now and then.

jim, did you get the phalarope?

Didn't go for it in the end, notice it's been reported again today so may try over the weekend - not a chance in hell of me going out tonight!

EDIT: Just had a look on metoffice site, severe weather warnings today and through tomorrow. Chances are there'll be one big lake from altofts to the A1 by Monday, Fairburn underwater and inaccessible, paths destroyed by overflowing becks and it's only just into September! Might get some new wellies this week.

Last edited:
Patrington Haven

Four new lifers at winestead pumping station on wednesday.. good views of Short-eared Owl, Yellow wagtail, Little egret, and also Whinchat good half hour walk I'd say! Cheers Jacko for the Whinchat! :t:

Record shot! (handheld obviously!)

Attachments

• 2008_0902aberdeenowl.jpg
    2008_0902aberdeenowl.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 91
Poor weather ~ Good birds..

also 2 ospreys at swilly.

Well Mick & I started before 8 for the Grey Phalarope (prob 1st Winter) then to Swilly, not 1 but two Osprey 1 over the hide then 1 over Astley, finally both together on St. Aiden's(no wing moult), later flew towards Fairburn, but then left the county for the Staffs White-winged Tern et al...

Well Mick & I started before 8 for the Grey Phalarope (prob 1st Winter) then to Swilly, not 1 but two Osprey 1 over the hide then 1 over Astley, finally both together on St. Aiden's(no wing moult), later flew towards Fairburn, but then left the county for the Staffs White-winged Tern et al...

Faeces!!!!! Why does this happen when I'm at work....to rub salt in the wound I was at Castleford today so only across the other side of the blessed river!

The Grey Phal was still there this evening. Got about two shots of it before the scope and camera were too wet. Just like someone throwing buckets of water at me.

Showing well but not close.

2009 East Yorkshire Wildlife Calendar

Hi Birders,

I hope it's OK to mention the availability of my 2009 East Yorkshire Wildlife Calendar here. I realise that there are a lot of birders from West & North Yorkshire on this forum, but I'm sure many of you visit the East coast regularly & there may be some places new to you which get a mention! If you know anyone who is interested in wildlife & they want to know more about times & availiability, then hopefully, this would be a lovely stocking-filler!

The calendars feature 30 first-rate photos, which accompany nearly 300 lines of suggestions on what to see & where you may see it. The bulk of the information is about EY's birds, but butterflies, moths, dragonflies, mammals & fungi are also featured. So, this is a calendar with a difference.

For more information see www.eywildlifecalendar.co.uk or PM me. The calendars cost £7 if I'm posting them out, but please quote you saw this mentioned on the Yorkshire Birding Forum & I will donate £1 for each one purchased to Spurn Bird Observatory.

Thanks for your time!
Cheers

99% sure i have just seen a rough-legged Buzzard near Skipton. Flying at very low level, observed for 2 minutes. I am very familiar with Buzzrards, and this looked bigger, had a more "flappy" flight, and had more square wings. It was also significantly whiter. Would this be a strong possibility, given the easterly strong winds last 2 days?

99% sure i have just seen a rough-legged Buzzard near Skipton. Flying at very low level, observed for 2 minutes. I am very familiar with Buzzrards, and this looked bigger, had a more "flappy" flight, and had more square wings. It was also significantly whiter. Would this be a strong possibility, given the easterly strong winds last 2 days?

Hi - welcome. The most convincing feature is the obvious white tail with a broad dark band at its tip. Also have you ruled out Honey Buzzard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back