• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How good are the Vortex Viper 8X32 HDs? (1 Viewer)

aburdy

Afternoon all from a sunny London.

I keep reading lots of snippets on the internet as to how good the latest Viper 8x32 HDs are but haven't come across any full reviews of them. Can anyone point me in the right direction or care to share with me their views / experiences? They appear to be an awful lot of binocular for the money when compared to the alphas on the market.

Many thanks.

aburdy, Im sorry if this reply isn't overly helpful as I haven't actually tried the Viper 8x32HD's but I have tried the 8x32 Non HD, it wasn't a particularly thorough test as it was outside a shop but I was really impressed with them, they are compact, light, the view is bright and wide. Plus they were a really good price. All this brings me on to say that I would have thought that the HD would be even better, I don't have the evidence to back this up and maybe other forum members will disagree with my assumption. I'm in the market for a new set of 8x32's and have posted a couple of threads. Im yet to try the HD's but they are on my short list, unless I go back and buy the non HD's.....

If you have managed to try the HD's I would be very interested in your views/thoughts on them.

Cheers, Stonesy.

Last edited:
there are many reviews of the non-HD Vipers, including the 8x32, and the HD version is basically identical. The "HD" series of Viper optics is pretty new so you aren't going to find a full review on every model configuration.

The only difference is the new "HD" glass, which is a superior (and denser, HD = "high density") extra-low dispersion element than the old "XD" glass Vortex used to use. Ergonomics, build, focusing, etc. should be identical, so the only difference will be that the HD version is a smidge heavier (due to the denser glass) and has a slightly brighter, sharper image with better CA control and a slightly wider "sweet spot".

bottom line: the Vipers are simply excellent optically (near alpha quality) and IMO have some of the best ergonomics I've experienced. Buttery smooth focus knob with good grip and the right amount of tension, comfortable rubber armor, locking diopter, and quite light. You can't go wrong for the price.

in addition to the reviews above, the 8x32 non-HD model was one of the best bins in this mid-sized binocular review (and considering price/performance were a clear "best buy"): http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2010midsizebins/index.html

Viper blurb: http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2010midsizebins/review_vortex_viper_8x32.html

plus Vortex's warranty support is awesome.

Last edited:

Can anyone point me in the right direction or care to share with me their views / experiences?
Many thanks.

Hi Aburdy,

Essex Wildlife Trust at Abberton reservoir had a pair of the 8x32 HDs a few weeks ago. It may be a bit of a hike out to there for you but they would be your nearest stockist at the moment.

All the best,
Dave Morgan

I don't have the 32's but I do have a pair of HD 10 x 42's Talons .... I find them to be awesome...very clear throughout. I find it important to have a pair of bino's that has color and light.... easy to use and focus. This Vortex has it. The ergonomics appear to be the same from what people tell me as the previous model.

The quality though is what I am after. Now, I compared my set to a Swaro in the store and although I was looking at in-store images to focus on, I couldn't tell that much of a difference. I do believe that the Swaros let in more light, but not enough to warrant $1500. I compared to a Monarch and thought the Vortex had better all around quality including ergonomics.

I have heard that the Vortex is pretty much identical to the Zen Ray as well as Eagle Optics but the lifetime warranty on the Vortex is a deal maker.

I am guessing that the optics on the 32 are not going to change much from my 42's.... So not a review, more a stamp of approval from my end. jim

Last edited:
I have heard that the Vortex is pretty much identical to the Zen Ray as well as Eagle Optics

FYI -- not the Viper, it is the Talon HD model that is the same as the Eagle Optics Ranger ED and apparently the Zen ED2. The Viper line is not one of the new Chinese ED variations, it is made in Japan and has no "clones" as far as I know.

EDIT: also FYI Eagle Optics has the same warranty as Vortex, they are both effectively the same company (same family).

Last edited:

I keep reading lots of snippets on the internet as to how good the latest Viper 8x32 HDs are but haven't come across any full reviews of them. Can anyone point me in the right direction or care to share with me their views / experiences? They appear to be an awful lot of binocular for the money when compared to the alphas on the market.

Many thanks.

The weekend before last a friend of mine bought a pair of the larger, 8x42, Viper HDs. He was comparing them to some Leicas, Swarovski ELs and a couple of cheaper models. I had to agree with him that pound for pound they were by far the best bins for the money (that we tried). No they weren't as good as the ELs but for general viewing ease of use and comfort they were fairly close and just a wee bit cheaper.
He bought his Vipers (and I bought a pair of 8.5x42 ELs) at my local (ish) camera shop - why? Service and price! the Vortex Bins were competitively priced and I can't say what the ELs cost. PM me if you can stretch your funds a bit further - you may be surprised.

Vortex viper 8x32 non HD

I've been using my viper 8x32 non HD for more than a year and I'm still very happy with it. I wear glasses and I find the 16mm eye relief very comfortable, also the twist eye cup mechanism is one of the best I've ever seen!

But there are two things which have let me down a bit: firstly it still shows some false colour (more than I expected) although this product is advertised as equipped with XD glass; secondly image sharpness decreases markedly towards the edge of the view (on the other hand both the Minox HG and Kowa Genesis 8x33, which cost much more than the viper, have this same defect according to the reviews from Allbinos website.)

Overall, with the price of 345 GBP I'm more than happy with the product, and "made in Japan" is surely an extra selling point as well! The HD version has a price tag of 510 GBP from SBTC of UK, it seems a bit expensive to me and I'm also very interested to find out the difference between them.

the new HD version significantly improves the color fringing of the original XD Vipers. It's also a wee bit brighter and has a wider sweet spot. Since those are your main complaints I think you'd be very happy with an 8x32 Viper HD. None of the Viper's are going to have great edges though, that's not really their strong suit.

I just got the Viper 8X32 HD and I really like them for what I do. I use my binoculars for insects as well as birds and was going back and forth between Pentax Papilios and two different Nikon pairs. The inexpensive Papilios are great for close-up observations but mediocre for birds, especially when bright light causes reflections. Neither of my Nikon bins will focus close enough for insects. The Vipers are lighter and brighter than the Nikons, control reflections well and focus to 3 feet / 1 meter. Nothing is perfect (at least nothing that I can afford is) but these meet my needs.

and...

Greg/Jay:

- I am planning on getting an 8x32 as a companion to my 10 power. I have been looking at the Viper HD in that configuration. I am looking forward to your reviews.

john

- and having tried the Pentax DCF SP 8x32 in the past, I am curious about the ED version in terms of its performance. The Vortex product as competition for the pentax 8x32s is attractive.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back